Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Yee Haw!!! I finally got an all-region DVD player!

Yee Haw!!! I finally got an all-region DVD player!

Old 02-06-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Philliips is good for the price - but the JVC is definitly a better quality product - you get what you pay for.

question:

Is PAL speed-up really noticable?
Old 02-06-04, 02:59 PM
Cool New Member

Now that you're region-free you may want to check out www.nicheflix.com - it's basically netflix with non-R1 movies. Their inventory is still a little slim but they're adding titles all the time. i joined about a month ago and have been very happy. I figure for the cost of 1 non-R1 dvd a month, i can watch several. I've been happier with my decision to go region free!

Also, one thing to consider when choosing a player is not just that it is region free but that it is able to correctly convert anamorphic PAL to NTSC. Up until recently only fairly expensive players (like the Malatas) could do this. Not sure about the Phillips 727 but it's worth double checking prior to purchase. I have a cyberhome c-500 that accomplishes this and it was only $80 shipped. I've been very happy with it.
Old 02-06-04, 03:03 PM
Cool New Member

Well, let me wade right back in. PAL speed-up is a very touchy subject and I guarantee you that it's noticability/irritiability will vary widely between individuals. I myself have never noticed it (and I really don't want to try - it sounds like once you hear it it's very hard to "un-hear") but those with better ears (musically speaking) very may well. Familiarity with the source material also seems to play a big factor (i.e. a movie/star you're very familiar with from having watched in NTSC maybe more noticably off).
Old 02-06-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So it's more of a sound speed-up issue, and not so much of a video speed-up?
Old 02-06-04, 03:19 PM

its great having mult-region, i can now buy US dvds b4 they r released in UK !!!!
Old 02-06-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by slop101
So it's more of a sound speed-up issue, and not so much of a video speed-up?
Technically I think it is both, personally I have never noticed PAL speed-up. I know there are a few on this forum that get nuts about it, but believe me when I say, chances are you will not even notice it. I buy a lot of R2 UK discs (PAL) too. Maybe if it is a movie you know by heart, but even then I don't notice.
Old 02-06-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The way I understand it, the sound speed-up is caused by the video speed-up as PAL is 25 FPS and NTSC is 29FPS, there is a 4% PAL speedup.
Old 02-06-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by fnordboy
great choice in players. I hav had the 602 since it came out and have never had a problem with it. Has played everything I have thrown at it
fnordboy,
How has it been handling the PAL>NTSC?

I've read that some players don't do it too well, and that there are some video problems related to the conversion, but that it all depends on the player doing the converting.
Old 02-06-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I noticed the pal speed up on Back To The Future DTS...you can clearly notice it when they play the hevy Lewis song or just listening to MJ Fox. However, on the Scream DTS R4 PAL disc, I never noticed it. Nor have I noticed it musically during Office Space R2 (anamorphic). However, you can hear it somewhat in some of the characters voices. I don't mind it.

Sometimes you hear it, sometimes you don't.
Old 02-06-04, 05:13 PM

region free is great. I just wish the dollar wasn't so weak at the moment. It's put a serious and depressing crimp in my buying of discs from the UK.
Old 02-06-04, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by philo
region free is great. I just wish the dollar wasn't so weak at the moment. It's put a serious and depressing crimp in my buying of discs from the UK.
Exactly.

18 British pounds is NOT $26 right now (as someone mentioned earlier), but rather closer to $33... 's killing me...!
Old 02-06-04, 06:24 PM
Banned

I have a question about these (I'm still pretty new to DVD's, so excuse the naivety). If you buy a DVD from country like Sweden, does it usually come with English subtitles? And if you buy an American movie from a country like Sweden, does it usually allow you to watch the English dialogue without Swedish subtitles?
Old 02-06-04, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by CUBuffsMike41
I have a question about these (I'm still pretty new to DVD's, so excuse the naivety). If you buy a DVD from country like Sweden, does it usually come with English subtitles? And if you buy an American movie from a country like Sweden, does it usually allow you to watch the English dialogue without Swedish subtitles?
from the online store I bought "Black Hawk Down" it seems like English language tracks (with removable subtitles option) are retained on Swedish DVD's

https://www.dvdsverige.com/index.asp
Old 02-07-04, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by CUBuffsMike41
Well... Not usually. Sometimes dvds come with english subtitles, sometimes not. The English language audio is always there though, since we never dub our movies.
Sometimes dvds have forced subs, but more often than not, they don't. Ask before you buy is my suggestion.
Old 02-07-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Moefuscious
Apparently on the Philips 727 whenever you play a dvd that features a multi-angle option, that multi-angle icon stays on the screen all the time during the movie. Don't know how distracting it is.... maybe someone here can give you a more in depth description.
I've played over 200 DVDs on my Philips 727, and that icon has showed up on two of them - both Disney - and it disappeared once the opening credits ended, so it hasn't been a big deal for me. The only other time I've seen that icon is during those certain extras when it is makes sense for it to be there.
Old 02-07-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by philo
For now, my Amazon.co.uk wish list is just that, until the dollar perks up a bit.

For a nice alternative, go Aussie! I've placed several orders from ezydvd.co.au and have been very satisfied with the fast service. In fact, I've ordered some titles from them that are about half the price being charged on UK sites, along with several titles just not available here. The 9% tax that is included in their prices is removed for shipment out of Australia.
Old 02-07-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Yee Haw!!! I finally got an all-region DVD player!

Originally posted by gutwrencher
I also have a cyberslop 500...for the kiddies.
I can just see them taking it to Show-and-Tell at school and explaining to the class to "get mom and dad to go region-free"
Old 02-07-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Re: Re: Yee Haw!!! I finally got an all-region DVD player!

Originally posted by TomOpus
I can just see them taking it to Show-and-Tell at school and explaining to the class to "get mom and dad to go region-free"
Old 02-18-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just an update to say that I recieved everything and everything looks and plays great. I don't even notice any "PAL speed-up" - not even on the music dvd, which has songs I'm intimately familiar with. ("M" looks a bit too "digital" than I would like, though it's still a great set)

I like how most dvds come in a clear case and instead of inserts, the covers are double sided and have chapters printed on the inside. The Buffy packaging is way cool. At about half the thickness of the R1 sets, it's like a 6-cd wallet booklet that slides out of a cover/case.

But much more than the packaging (and even though R1 is still the best region for dvds), I'm stoked to finally get these great movies I've been hankering for: African Queen, A Matter Of Life & Death, The Gospel According To St. Matthew, City Of God, etc.
Anamorphic Deer Hunter w/ Cimino commentary = Heaven.