Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What discs have been pulled? Any ever re-released?

What discs have been pulled? Any ever re-released?

Old 02-06-04, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by CasEjonz
Why was this pulled?
From the IMDB:
In March 2001, a U.S. District Court jury in Birmingham, Michigan, ruled that 20th Century Fox stole the script idea, "Jingle All the Way", from Detroit High School biology teacher, Brian Webster, The studio must pay $19 million to him. Webster submitted the script, then named "Could This Be Christmas?", to the studio in 1994 and never received payment or credit despite the film making $183 million. Fox appealed the judgement.
Old 02-07-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mikewendt
Also the first release of Men In Black was pulled in the same manner of Ed Wood. I don't remember the official reason
From what I heard, Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment had some issue with the initial release - I think it was that DVD wasn't as widespread or as popular at the time.

EDIT: http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...meninblack.htm

When Columbia first entered the DVD fray in April of 1997, a small insert included with their first four titles trumpeted some upcoming releases. Listed on the back as one of these "coming soon" titles was MEN IN BLACK, and this was months before the film even premiered in theaters! Later in the year, the disc was officially announced, with a widescreen version, Barry Sonnenfeld audio commentary and the Will Smith music video.

But just a few short weeks before the disc was to appear on store shelves though, executive producer Steven Spielberg made the startling move of removing all of his Amblin titles from the DVD pipeline. This left MIB M.I.A. and lots of eager fans P.I.S.S.E.D. Time and patience have rectified the situation nearly three years later, with three totally loaded special editions of the film featuring supplements that were technically impossible for that initial release. Was it worth the wait? Let's find out...
Old 02-07-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a Life Vol 2 was recalled, though that was on a much smaller scale and nobody hardly even knew it came out. I found one copy at Best Buy the week it came out, and found episode 2 was so poorly done that I suspected it had to be the fault of a bad DVD, so I went back to replace it and they didn't have any in stock. For months I heard about Get A Life Vol 2 coming out at a future date and it wasn't until later I learned I got a copy that was supposed to be recalled due to the poor transfer of the second episode.
Old 02-07-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by calhoun07
Get a Life Vol 2 was recalled, though that was on a much smaller scale and nobody hardly even knew it came out. I found one copy at Best Buy the week it came out, and found episode 2 was so poorly done that I suspected it had to be the fault of a bad DVD, so I went back to replace it and they didn't have any in stock. For months I heard about Get A Life Vol 2 coming out at a future date and it wasn't until later I learned I got a copy that was supposed to be recalled due to the poor transfer of the second episode.
I have both releases of Volume 2. I kept the first one, just because I had no clue if it would ever be reissued. But it was, something like 18 months later, so I got that too. I have no clue what to do with the first version. Anyone think it's worth anything?

And for god's sake, when are more coming out???

-jason
Old 02-08-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DGibFen
From what I heard, Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment had some issue with the initial release - I think it was that DVD wasn't as widespread or as popular at the time.

EDIT: http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...meninblack.htm
It's funny that Spielberg pulled all the Amblin titles including MIB, which was a money maker, just to make the first Amblin release The Mask Of Zorro... Iteresting choice.
Old 02-09-04, 06:39 PM
jet

What about Solaris? Wasn't that out for like a day or two originally then pulled? Not positive, but pretty sure.
Old 02-10-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's debate about Solaris (the original 1972 film, put out by Image Entertainment). Technically, the disc was cancelled before release and never hit stores (online or otherwise).

There are some people who SWEAR that they saw this on the shelf and passed it by, only to kick themselves later. But in the 6 years or so since this happened, I have never heard a single person say that they actually HAVE the disc, nor have I seen one on eBay.

The lack of any on eBay makes me feel that this disc never happened. There was a time there (before the Ruscico/Criterion editions) when this would have fetched Salo-like prices. But the fact that no one would even test the waters with a high reserve is questionable...

I don't think it ever got made (at least not past a test/master stage).