Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Ed Wood - What is reason for Lawsuit/Cancellation?

Community
Search

Ed Wood - What is reason for Lawsuit/Cancellation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Aphex Twin
link?
http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/wjoke/img/index.gif
Old 02-05-04, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
Seems like an INCREDIBLE amount of expense/trouble just to add the words "Academy Award winner" before someone's name, no? Not to mention that the odds of him actually winning are pretty slim. And also not to mention that adding those 3 words would likely increase sales by a whopping .0001%.

I know that is one of the rumors floating around, but it doesn't make much sense to me.
It doesn't make any sense to me either. I can only imagine the sheer cost of recalling the title. Not many people outside of film geeks and Wood fans were really passionate about the movie in the past. People didn't gravitate towards this movie on home video even with the number of stars/celebrities in it.
Old 02-05-04, 05:00 PM
Cool New Member

demand engineering?

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist or anything, but has anyone considered the possibility that BV has managed to pull off an exceptionally clever bit of engineered demand for this title?

To elaborate: although the film has its fans (myself included) there certainly wasn't the sort of anticipation (preorders or publicity-wise) prior to its release that one sees for a title such as, say, Schindler's List (and no, I'm not comparing the two films).

However, now there are individuals scrambling to buy it by any means possible (often multiple copies) - resulting in far greater sales than BV could have hoped for in a 6-to-8 month span, it seems to me.

Not to mention that it gets Depp, Murray et.al. in the public eye at a very crucial time, as far as publicity is concerned (keeping in mind that Pirates . . . is also a BV film, and Lost in Translation has just been released).

And the "recall" has to be one of the spottiest, most poorly engineered things I've ever heard of - unless, of course, the intention was to have thousands of copies make it out into the marketplace.

I guess I'm not completely serious, and we'll see what happens when it's finally released, but considering the ethics (or lack of such) exhibited by many in the motion picture industry, it seems as good a theory as any.
Old 02-05-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: demand engineering?

Originally posted by KJB2
Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist or anything, but has anyone considered the possibility that BV has managed to pull off an exceptionally clever bit of engineered demand for this title?
I've been considering the same thing. Pretty smart.
Old 02-05-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
You're listening to a mere "member" on this? No offense to Wannabe, but when I saw that user name and "member" I knew not to put much stock into that post.
How dare you!
Old 02-05-04, 05:33 PM
Banned

Yeah, I'm sure Disney is getting a lot more money since most people can't find a copy and those who do are making profits that Disney can't touch on eBay. That conspiracy theory really makes a hell of a lot of sense.
Old 02-05-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Hey, I would'nt mind a Ed Wood 2-disc SE.
Old 02-05-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
The key word is "demand." Look at how many more people know about the title now and are motivated to buy.
Old 02-05-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how the deleted scene w/ Landau coming down on Universal is such a big deal and would warrant legal action. Maybe this isn't a good example, but Pepsi comes down on Coke in their commercials all the time.

It just doesn't make sense to me that that scene would be the issue. If it were in the movie itself would it be a problem?

BTW, I'm no legal expert so if anyone can GENUINELY explain why this may be an issue I'm sure we'd all love to hear it.
Old 02-05-04, 06:30 PM

I don't know whether there's any truth in this explanation or not, but I was told at FYE that it was a disagreement over selling price between manufacturer and distributor that has caused the delay.
Old 02-05-04, 06:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Put me down for the not buying it camp... I mean they could do the same sort of artificial "demand" (and in fact get more sales out of it probably) if they issued a hold instead of a recall. This way everyone would still be talking about it but some retailers would be putting it on the shelves and people would be getting it that way. W/ a general recall the extra "demand" does nothing to help BV.

I don't buy the selling price either pretty much for the same reason. The only reason that makes sense for a the expense of a general recall is that they are risking losing more money by having it sell.

BTW does anyone remember the reason given for the previous delay?
Old 02-05-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Tim Burton got the blame for the last delay. Now ppl are blaming him for this one?? The studio is not going to delay it a second time to correct something at the director's whim once the thing is pressed and shipped. No friggin way is he responsible for this. Only a director of Spielberg's stature could cancel a release at the last minute because he didn't like the color of the font or something.

The "Que Sera Sera" deleted scene is the best guess I've seen so far. Maybe they needed to credit/pay the estate of Ray Evans if the song is sung. I think only Livingston is credited.

However thats all speculation, my inside source has told me the REAL reason for the delay. Buying it makes your willie fall off.
Old 02-05-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

personally, i dont think Ed Wood will ever come out now. i dont see Buena Vista scrapping the whole run and re-doing all the discs. unless its a rights issue which they can pay off and release the DVD as is, i think it will be scrapped completely on DVD.

yes im pessimistic, and no im not selling copies on ebay.
Old 02-05-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if I buy the conspiracy theory either. While I am sure Buena Vista doesn't mind the sales they got on this title, I hardly think their having Best Buy send copies back by the case load and allowing Blockbuster to sell off their few copies they each got hardly really propells this into top sales categories. Then again, you never know. The day Swamp Thing got recalled, it was a number one seller at amazon.com, but I doubt that it has anything to do with a "conspiracy theory." It more than likely has to do with the deleted scenes.
Old 02-05-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's because they only put 1 piece of tape across the top. Too many DVDs would be stolen out of the side and bottom.
Old 02-05-04, 07:32 PM

I doubt it has anything to do with awards..as a simple sticker may be placed afterwards...a costly recall doesn't warrant that reason..

and what's the discrimination of mere "members" calhoun?

Last edited by kbjorn; 02-05-04 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-05-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kbjorn
Mere member? I haven't laughed out loud in a long time after reading that line...missing sarcasm and being a "gold" member just shows no matter how much one posts to boost their status..it can't boost their brainpower....any loon can boost their status by making inane posts...

no offense calhoun...

;-)

(btw, according to the serious tone of calhoun's prev post, I took none of it as sarcasm...as it was just too analytical..but if there was some sort of sarcasm in calhoun's post, I def missed it)
No, I wasn't serious. I was just surprised that somebody took the post seriously. And when I saw the name "wannabe" I thought "yeah, he wanna be funny!" I thought it was kinda funny/ironic. Not serious at all!
Old 02-05-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Ha! You guys are all wrong. I work at Disney so I know. The real reason this disc was recalled was because--

THUNK!

(Falls over and lands dead on the floor with arrow sticking out of back)
Old 02-06-04, 12:19 AM
Banned

Just curious but what exactly does Landau say about Universal?
Old 02-06-04, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Squidhead
Just curious but what exactly does Landau say about Universal?
He said they were "very, very devilish".
I can see how that could be very, very controversial.
Old 02-06-04, 02:06 AM
Banned

OMG. That's....very, very lame for an excuse.

I guess we can throw that theory for cancellation out the window.
Old 02-06-04, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about the commentary track? Is there any controversial content in it?
Old 02-06-04, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon.ca has it listed for release on April 4 now, but their dates are always suspect.
Old 02-06-04, 07:54 AM
Banned

Here's all I can add to the discussion:

While poking around the net to look for reasons that EW was pulled yet again, I found numerous articles saying that last time was because of a copyright issue, but all copyrights had since been secured for the Feb 04 release of the film. However, it's possible that something new was added in to this release without proper permission.

When I went to Circuit City to see if I could get a copy, the employee of course said that it wasn't out yet. When I told her I had just picked it up at Borders, she went to look at some music/video stock sheet. I followed along, and saw on her list that (at least according to Circuit City management) the reason for Ed Wood being pulled was "Legal issues with the vendor."

I know it's not much, but maybe it helps let the air out of some of the more off-the-wall theories.
Old 02-06-04, 08:06 AM
Cool New Member

ahem . . .

obviously a joke - and no, I hadn't seen this before my post yesterday.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=345632

ps: Thanks for the support, Jason . . .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.