Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Ed Wood - Did you find a copy?

View Poll Results: Did you get lucky and find a copy (or copies)?
Yes
55.33%
No (not yet)
44.67%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Ed Wood - Did you find a copy?

Old 02-09-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the one I ordered from Return Warehouse today in the mail. I would have received it last Monday but I moved into a new home and the mail was delayed. Anyhow, thanks to Bill Geiger for the heads-up about half.com.
Old 02-09-04, 03:25 PM

Didn't find one, but I only looked at one Walmart. I really don't see the big deal about this, really.

I mean it's a good movie, but 60+ bucks for a DVD that will very likely come out in a few months, and without even knowing for sure if some tiny little extra feature will be cut or not? Who knows, maybe they are adding MORE stuff to the new release (Burton wasn't happy with the list of extras, neither was I) If I could have found it for 19.99, I would have bought it. Ebay scalpers can kiss my butt, though...

...Chances are that I will have the set by year's end, and the extras will be either the exact same, or close enough to it that I will be satisfied...for 20 bucks or less.
Old 02-09-04, 06:34 PM
Cool New Member

If anyone has a nice digital camera and a copy of the R1 Ed Wood could you please snap a pic of the Cover (Front & back), Disc, and Booklet (If one was included)? I've only seen pictures of the front cover at like amazon, ect. I'd like something to compare mine to if I get a copy off ebay. Also is this a DVD9 or a DVD5 disc?
Old 02-09-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're kidding, right? Especially with the DVD5/DVD9 question. Smells like someone is trying to cook up a bootleg! If you knew anything about this disk, you would know the answer to the dvd size question. I am ESPECIALLY leary about giving out such information to someone that registered 2 years ago and has only 5 posts!
Old 02-09-04, 09:00 PM

I preordered this DVD from deepdiscountdvd.com forever ago. When I heard of the recall, I figured I wasn't going to get it.

Well, I got a surprise shipping notice from them last Thursday(02/05). I'm assuming it's in the mail and I should be getting it this week.
Old 02-09-04, 09:29 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by DrGerbil
You're kidding, right? Especially with the DVD5/DVD9 question. Smells like someone is trying to cook up a bootleg! If you knew anything about this disk, you would know the answer to the dvd size question. I am ESPECIALLY leary about giving out such information to someone that registered 2 years ago and has only 5 posts!
First off.
Sorry I don't post much. I frequent quite a few forums from games to cars to misc. that I just don't have the time to post and answer numerous posts on every board.

Second.
Only reason I ask is cause I got one off ebay. Although not the most reliable place to pick one up, it was my only option as I called and drove to various places coming up empty handed. I'm just looking for ways to verify my dvd when it comes in the mail to see if it is legit. I'm assuming it's a DVD9, but you never know until you look at it in my computer or at the underside of the disc.

All I was looking for was ways to verify that I got a legit copy and not a bootleg. I don't really need the DVD9/DVD5 questions answered, but it was just something that crossed my mind when posting. A scan of the disc/cover(s) of a legit copy would be nice though so I could compare my ebay bought one with a legit one to see if it is legit.

This is one of my favorite Tim Burton movies along with Edward Scissorhands (My absolute fav Tim Burton movie), A Nightmare Before Christmas, Mars Attacks, and his new one I went and saw Big Fish.

Last edited by alienmonkey; 02-09-04 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-10-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by eddiekirk
Bootlegs already? If so, that was fast. That seller put up like 60 in the last 24 hours.
It has been available in Region 2 for a long, long time, so a bootleg is not surprising. And even if this is from R1, it doesn't take much time or effort to make a boot. No reason why this couldn't be done.

And, obviously, the fact that he's put 60 (!) up at once, when most mere mortals are having trouble finding 1 should be a HUGE warning sign.
Old 02-10-04, 03:02 PM

I won an eBay auction for one on the 6th and two days later the seller returns my payment saying he'd received a "cease and desist" order. Has anyone else run into this? My first thought was that he'd gotten a higher offer from someone else for the disc.

I then won another auction on the 8th and have yet to hear from that seller. Live seemed so good just two weeks ago...
Old 02-10-04, 04:05 PM

I managed to get this from Barnes & Noble last week. Our B & N
doesn't sell DVD's, but were happy to take a phone order. Perhaps they didn't get a recall notice, because they don't carry DVD's in the store. Was surprised how easy it was . . . they just took my info over the phone & shipped it a day later. Couldn't believe it when it turned out to be the right one.
It's the B & N in Bloomington, Il, in case anybody wants to give it a try - 309) 662 - 1506
Old 02-10-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 774 Likes on 563 Posts
I received my copy yesterday from a person who's too cool
Spoiler:
you know who you are

We made a trade that was very beneficial to each and I'm happy that we're both happy.

Now I need to change my answer to the poll.
Old 02-10-04, 06:56 PM

The extra copy is sold.

Last edited by Mickey; 02-11-04 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-10-04, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Mickey
I have one extra copy that I'll part with for $34 (it's what I paid)+ shipping. I have 100% positive feedback on e-bay.
You've got mail...
Old 02-11-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got mine today, a buddy picked it up in Houston. Best Buy-$19.99.
Old 02-11-04, 05:59 PM

I didn't get an answer to own thread so I thought I would try again here.

Did anybody get a copy of Ed Wood from DeepDiscountDVD.com ?

I had a pre-order and I got an email from them on 1/30 saying that my copy had been shipped, but I still don't have it. I'm worried that it may not have actually shipped.

Anybody place an order with them and actually receive a copy of Ed Wood?
Old 02-12-04, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by bboisvert
It has been available in Region 2 for a long, long time, so a bootleg is not surprising. And even if this is from R1, it doesn't take much time or effort to make a boot. No reason why this couldn't be done.

And, obviously, the fact that he's put 60 (!) up at once, when most mere mortals are having trouble finding 1 should be a HUGE warning sign.

You're probably right. I've lost count but he put up at least 100. Plus there's a wait of 7 to 10 days before it ships, another possible red flag.

With the huge volume, I can't believe they are still going for $50-60 ea. When things dry up it could go higher for a while.

bboisvert, Did you score some? Don't worry I'm not asking for one, I have it already.
Old 02-12-04, 11:35 AM

Who is the alleged bootleg seller on Ebay? I want to make sure I don't buy one from him/her.

I'm probably going to buy a copy there cause it looks like my DeepDiscountDVD.com order is not coming through.
Old 02-12-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SeattleSteve
Who is the alleged bootleg seller on Ebay? I want to make sure I don't buy one from him/her.

I'm probably going to buy a copy there cause it looks like my DeepDiscountDVD.com order is not coming through.
I just put my last two up on ebay today if you're interested.
Old 02-12-04, 12:25 PM

Hi speedy1961,

How about emailing me with a "Buy Now" Price so I don't screw around with bidding.

Email: [email protected]

Thanks!

Steve
Old 02-12-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing I would quote would make anyone happy. I have 3 set aside for DVDTalkers after the auctions have ended if you want to e-mail me privately.
Old 02-12-04, 01:36 PM

I finally bit the bullet and bought "Ed Wood" on Ebay.

I paid $56.01 + $5 shipping.

That seems to be the going price now.

The recall cost me an extra $41 !! :-(
Old 02-12-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by eddiekirk
bboisvert, Did you score some? Don't worry I'm not asking for one, I have it already.
"some"? No.

But I did get the one that I had preordered from Amazon. Good enough for me!
Old 02-12-04, 01:51 PM

bboisvert ... you lucky SOB!

My pre-order from DeepDiscountDVD.com never arrived, even though they emailed me on 1/30 and said it had shipped.

I finally got somebody on the phone today and he confirmed that they did NOT ship the DVD to me.

I should have used Amazon instead of trying to save a couple bucks, cause I just spent $41 more on Ebay.
Old 02-12-04, 03:21 PM
Banned

Wow. I picked it up at the Blockbuster in Niles, IL this afternoon! The kid working there hid it for me until I got there during my lunch break.
Old 02-12-04, 03:45 PM

Kurochunda .. you are very lucky!

I tried the Best Buy in my neighborhood last week just in case my pre-order didn't come through and they said they didn't even get any copies from their warehouse. They checked all 20 stores in the area and none of them had a copy.
Old 02-12-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SeattleSteve

I think the seller everyone is referring to is "Wolftoys". I grabbed one of the first ones I saw for a BIN at $39.95 yesterday without doing too much investigation. His feedback doesn't appear to be that bad, relatively speaking, and he is listed as a PowerSeller.

However, I'm now having my doubts that the guy is legit. Besides the suspicious fact that he suddenly put up several dozen copies of Ed Wood for sale, many of his other recently closed auctions appear to be possible bootlegs (complete Green Hornet DVD set, for example). I also checked out some of his recent feedbacks as a buyer - he recently purchased several sets of DVD/CD labels, as well as a VCD collection of Green Hornet episodes !

So it doesn't bode well, but I guess I'll find out when I get the disk. I'm reasonably sure he'll ship out something - whether it's a bootleg or the real item (although many of his negative/neutral feedbacks seem to be for slow shipment). If he is a bootlegger, it's pretty irritating that Ebay would allow him continue to operate, and even endorse him to some extent with a "PowerSeller" title. Hopefully, if the disks he is selling aren't legit, enough bidders will complain to get him shut down.

If any other DVD Talkers also jumped on his auction, let me know. Maybe we can compare notes when/if we get one of the disks and figure out if it's real.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.