Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Ed Wood - Did you find a copy?

View Poll Results: Did you get lucky and find a copy (or copies)?
Yes
55.33%
No (not yet)
44.67%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Ed Wood - Did you find a copy?

Old 02-14-04, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by UKingdom
One legit copy, gold trader, my personal sealed copy. It's going to ebay next if no one's interested: [email protected]
YGM!
Old 02-14-04, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

there are also evil hoarders besides bootleggers

I bet there are a lot of eBay sellers with more than one Ed Wood DVD that are legit. Have any of you seen the auctions with pictures of like 20 Ed wood DVDs with the Best Buy price tag still attached? Damn hoarders make me ill....

If you want to get a DVD from a legit seller, look for my ID: hansm. (do not forget the "."). I am selling the one sealed copy I picked up with the other I opened. It ends in a few hours and is still reasonably priced.

Last edited by slowcloud; 02-14-04 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-14-04, 09:47 AM
Cool New Member

Regarding the ebayer "sirbrady"

This fellow appears legit. He has contacted me through email

I just wanted to let you
know that my Ed Wood DVDs are 100% genuine. They have the red Buena Vista logo
on the wrap. I guarantee it. BJs Wholesale Clubs got cases of 24 and I got
lucky.

He's guarenteeing that all his ed wood dvds are 100% genuine and have the red buenavista logo on the wrapping
Old 02-14-04, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by alienmonkey
Regarding the ebayer "sirbrady"

This fellow appears legit. He has contacted me through email

I just wanted to let you
know that my Ed Wood DVDs are 100% genuine. They have the red Buena Vista logo
on the wrap. I guarantee it. BJs Wholesale Clubs got cases of 24 and I got
lucky.

He's guarenteeing that all his ed wood dvds are 100% genuine and have the red buenavista logo on the wrapping
FYI The copy of "Ed Wood" that I bought from Blockbuster has a white, not red "Beuna Vista Home Entertainment" logo on the wrap. I suppose they could have used both white and red logos, but it seems odd to me that they would use two different colors.

However, this should be easy enough to figure out. Does anyone else who bought the DVD in a store have a red "Beuna Vista Home Entertainment" logo on the wrap or all they all white?

Last edited by StealThisCoupon; 02-14-04 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-14-04, 11:04 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by StealThisCoupon
FYI The copy of "Ed Wood" that I bought from Blockbuster has a white, not red "Beuna Vista Home Entertainment" logo on the wrap. I suppose they could have used both white and red logos, but it seems odd to me that they would use two different colors.

However, this should be easy enough to figure out. Does anyone else who bought the DVD in a store have a red "Beuna Vista Home Entertainment" logo on the wrap or all they all white?
I don't really know what to say now. I bought The Lion King 1+1/2 and since I still have it sealed I looked at the back of the wrapper. It has a RED Buena Vista logo on the back. Now I got a scanned picture of ED Wood that I snagged off ebay with a White Buena Vista logo over Landeau's face (gonna try and get it up online or find the auction).

Maybe they do use 2 seperate ink colors (although it don't seem cost effective) or maybe they use one color for cartoons and one for real movies?

Here is a link that I found for an Ed Wood Auction that clearly has a WHITE Buena Vista Logo over the top portion of the DVD Extra Listings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=41536

I'm not saying none have red buena vista logo's, because my lion king 1.5 has a red buena vista logo.

Anyone else care to comment on the buena vista logo?

Last edited by alienmonkey; 02-14-04 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-14-04, 11:18 AM

The Ed Wood DVD I bought from Best Buy had white buena vista logos on it.
Old 02-14-04, 11:28 AM
Cool New Member

here is another ed wood with a partial WHITE buena vista logo on the left side of the casing. you can see the right portion of the logo with the swoosh type design and the words vista.

This is one of the many "sirbrady"'s auction below

I don't know if they are bootlegs or not (for right now I'm going to take his word) but when flipping through the 3 ed wood images I got on my hard drive right now I noticed something odd. This maybe the lighting but

1) I can't see a buena vista logo anywhere on the packaging even though it's a pretty good picture

2) if you look at the 3 pictures of the cast members on the front cover and the 2 cast members on the rear cover the are outlined in pink border on the 2 auctions I posted about above, but in this auction I see no pink outlined borders.

The auction which I had won also has pink borders around the castmates on the front cover

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EBWN%3AIT&rd=1

Last edited by alienmonkey; 02-14-04 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-14-04, 11:35 AM

Ebayer "Keit2208" has had an ed wood dvd on ebay atleast everyday for the past 2 weeks.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sort=3&rows=200

I hate having to try to find a legit seller, but I am assume that anyone with more than 2 copies at most listed are selling bootlegs (although they may very well have 2+ copies of the dvd, but not highly unlikely to me now )
Hey, I resent that! :-P Well, I know people are going to be upset that I hoarded some DVDs but since I'm currently unemployed I'll take any chance I can get to make some extra money. I was able to pick up 18 copies from my local Best Buy (I left around 10 more which caused the legendary Tulsa fight described in one of the Ed Wood threads) so my DVDs were not bootlegs.

I only have two DVDs left (one on ebay, one on half, plus a couple that are awaiting payment) but I just wanted to make sure that my good name wasn't smeared by being associated with bootleggers. I agree that I would be pretty wary now two weeks out since most of the legit copies should have floated off the market... scoring twenty was no easy prospect though and I find it highly unlikely that someone could secure 50+ copies.
Old 02-14-04, 11:43 AM
Cool New Member

I am very sorry Keit2208.

I know it's possible for anyone to have a box full of Ed Wood DVD's although for the most part unlikely. My apoligies.

Since you have some still sitting around waiting to be shipped do you mind commenting on the packaging/covers? Are your Buena Vista Logo's RED or WHITE? Also are the PINK BORDERS around the castmembers on the front and back sensitive to light? Do they go away if displayed at a certain angle or always visible?
Old 02-14-04, 11:47 AM

No prob Alienmonkey,

Buena Vista logos are white as mentioned above, the pink borders around castmembers are solid... no change that I can see when changing the angle. Mine have top and side security tape (nothing on bottom).
Old 02-14-04, 11:54 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by keit2208
No prob Alienmonkey,

Buena Vista logos are white as mentioned above, the pink borders around castmembers are solid... no change that I can see when changing the angle. Mine have top and side security tape (nothing on bottom).
Thanks for the info cause "sirbrady"'s info/pictures don't match anything you say (and instead of posting in here to refute my post like you did) he emailed my ebay account since it uses the same name.

So atleast we know that the Buena Vista Logo's are WHITE and that the PINK BORDERS do not dissapear.

Thanks and sorry for the mistake on you (just stuck out to me as odd since I used BIN on 2 of wolftoys auctions )
Old 02-14-04, 12:06 PM

Just thought I'd weigh in with my two pennies. I received my copy of Ed Wood in today's mail (woo hoo!) I purchased it from "sirbrady." It is a legit copy. Yes, the Buena Vista logo on the shrinkwrap is red, but the pink borders around the characters on both the front and back of the DVD do *not* change color in any way when you look at them from a different angle. I think that "sirbrady" took his pictures either under poor lighting conditions or with a bad digital camera.

Long story short and to reiterate: this is a legit copy of Ed Wood: SE.
Old 02-14-04, 12:07 PM

I accidently purchased two of these. The one I purchased from Astrovideo on half.com has a red buena vista logo. The one I purchased off of a seller on ebay has a white buena vista logo on the package. So unless one of the two I have is a bootleg then they come in both colors. Other than the different color logo on the wrapper they are exactly identical covers.
Old 02-14-04, 12:14 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by DaveCole
I accidently purchased two of these. The one I purchased from Astrovideo on half.com has a red buena vista logo. The one I purchased off of a seller on ebay has a white buena vista logo on the package. So unless one of the two I have is a bootleg then they come in both colors. Other than the different color logo on the wrapper they are exactly identical covers.
Well Like I said my Lion King 1.5 I picked up at best buy last night has a red buena vista logo

I guess disney/buena vist likes to mix up the security colors on the packaging
Old 02-14-04, 12:33 PM
Cool New Member

I'm glad you had some luck finding them sirbrady.

I've tried

2 kmarts
1 walmart
2 best buys
1 fye
1 suncoast
4 blockbusters

and came up with nothing
Old 02-14-04, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by sirbrady
OK, let's get this straight right now, I had to signup just to respond. I am not selling bootlegs, never have been a bootlegger. Don't own a DVD burner. I found 59 copies, I have been unemployed for 9 months and had to do this. I know you think it's impossible to find that many, but I did. I resent what it being said about me. I'm not a thief.

I bought:

24 at BJs IN East Rutherford, NJ
11 at BJ's in Jersey City, NJ
24 at BJ's in Linden, NJ

I have all receipts, and BJs is like a Costco. They don't sell bootlegs. I don't have a scanner, but if someone on this board emails me, I can do the best I can with my lousy camera. Better yet, I can send the pics to Alienmonkey, he contacted me already. I will try to get a clear pic of the red logo also.

Check my feedback, got about 25 positives from Ed Wood so far. My DVDs are 100% genuine. I guarantee that and stake my reputation on it.

Joe Sferlazza
Joe,

Sorry that you had to sign up here just to defend yourself. I wanted to let you know that I received my copy of Ed Wood that I bought from you today, as I posted above. Thanks for shipping it to me so fast...and welcome to the forum.
Old 02-14-04, 12:57 PM

Just to confirm what some others have said, there are legit versions out there with both the red or white BV logos. The security seal on the top also comes in two versions, one saying "ED WOOD SE" and the other saying "ED WOOD SPECIAL EDITION". Both versions are completely legit.
Old 02-14-04, 01:01 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Jeff McKay
Just to confirm what some others have said, there are legit versions out there with both the red or white BV logos. The security seal on the top also comes in two versions, one saying "ED WOOD SE" and the other saying "ED WOOD SPECIAL EDITION". Both versions are completely legit.
Wow now thats odd. you would think they would be the same. By the way are the UPC's & discs any different between the two by chance?
Old 02-14-04, 01:06 PM

Mine (with the white security tab) says "Ed Wood Special Edition", btw. It also has a UPC sticker on the outside of the shrinkwrap covering the internal UPC.
Old 02-14-04, 01:09 PM
Cool New Member

mdsfk18 /half.com seller

Anyone here ordered Ed Wood from a half.com seller called mdsfk18? So far, no DVD and no response to emails.
Old 02-14-04, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by alienmonkey
Wow now thats odd. you would think they would be the same. By the way are the UPC's & discs any different between the two by chance?
The UPC and catalog #'s are the same on both versions. Everything is identical except for the security seals and color of the logo on the shrink-wrap. There are some out there (as keit2208 mentions) with another UPC code sticker on the outside shrink-wrap covering the UPC on the back cover - this sticker has the same UPC number and catalog number as the UPC code under it. All legit.
Old 02-14-04, 05:27 PM

Re: mdsfk18 /half.com seller

Originally posted by horatio
Anyone here ordered Ed Wood from a half.com seller called mdsfk18? So far, no DVD and no response to emails.
I also ordered from this seller. I haven't tried to contact him or her yet, but I haven't received my order either. I paid extra for expedited shipping, and I ordered on the Sunday before street date, so I thought I would have this by now.
Old 02-14-04, 06:43 PM

Re: Re: mdsfk18 /half.com seller

Originally posted by Dusty Bottoms
I also ordered from this seller. I haven't tried to contact him or her yet, but I haven't received my order either. I paid extra for expedited shipping, and I ordered on the Sunday before street date, so I thought I would have this by now.
I guess I won't have to contact him after all. I just received a refund from mdsfk18 for my order with a note saying the his supplier couldn't confirm that the order had shipped. If you ordered from this seller, it sounds like you're out of luck.
Old 02-14-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As for the red & white issue with the wrappers it's possible that they used one type after going through a supply of the other when manufacturing them. Recently Paramount shipped Star Trek VI with black & white cases (I was one of the unlucky ones to get a white one that doesn't match up with the others in the Star Trek SE series).
Old 02-15-04, 04:23 AM

Re: Re: mdsfk18 /half.com seller

Originally posted by Dusty Bottoms
Money refunded today Guess there's no luck that route. I'm really pretty angry about it; the reason for refund is:

My supplier for this movie can't confirm to me that this selection has been shipped. I am refunding your money. I deeply apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.
Although his listing said:
BRAND NEW, FACTORY SEALED, SAME DAY SHIPPING WITH TRACKING NUMBER.
That's all well and good, but I thought the deal on half.com was that if you confirm the order, you've got the merchandise in hand and are shipping, not waiting on a "supplier" to provide the merchandise to you.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.