Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Why no Val Lewton on DVD?

Old 02-02-04, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember the dawn of the home video era, back when Betamax was the hot ticket item. Among the first classic horror films to be released on video were the Nostalgia Merchant's editions of the Val Lewton-produced films from RKO in the 1940s--"Cat People," "Isle of the Dead," "The Body Snatcher," "I Walked With a Zombie," "Curse of the Cat People," "The Leopard Man," are all titles I saw at one time or another. These also made it to Laserdisc in a very nice boxed set.
However, now that the DVD age has arrived, Region 1 film lovers are SOL with Lewton. I have several R2 PAL discs from France and Spain, but I just can't understand why these haven't been released on DVD here yet. They certainly had a good track record. I think that Warner owns the rights now, so I don't think the problem is a conflict over competing claims. I hope that the masters aren't deteriorated.
Does anyone know anything about these films ever being released on DVD? My own dream would be something like Universal's forthcoming "Legacy" editions of their films: maybe a release of the LD "Val Lewton Collection" with new audio commentary tracks and other special features! Anyway, any industry types know that there is some interest now.
Best, Scott
Old 02-02-04, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 658 Likes on 408 Posts
I'd love to see Val Lewton's work released on DVD; the original Cat People and Leopard Man are two all-time faves. However, there are no ninjas in any of Val Lewton's films, and you see the kids today loves ninjas. And feisty Latina sidekicks. And pithy one-liners. So like you said, we're SOL.
Old 02-02-04, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Fortunately, I have them all on VHS from Nostalga Merchant (another reason I hang on to the VCR) - but yes, a nice box set would be a treat!
Old 02-02-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 429 Likes on 243 Posts
Warner mentioned in a chat over at HTF last year that there will be some Val Lewton films coming out in 2004.
Old 02-02-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Warner is very slow in getting out RKO titles... mainly because they require a bunch of restoration and sales won't be as good as, say, Fast and the Furious.

But they are slowly getting these kinds of classic titles out. I hope that 2004/05 see the Lewton titles come out.
Old 02-02-04, 11:37 AM

Apparently the Lewton fims required a major amount of restoration work (along with King Kong, another MIA RKO title). According to Warner Brothers they should start coming out later this year.
Old 02-02-04, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by chesola
Apparently the Lewton fims required a major amount of restoration work (along with King Kong, another MIA RKO title). According to Warner Brothers they should start coming out later this year.
Let it be so! I had heard about KONG. I hope that they get someone to do a decent commentary track on the films, don't kmow of any documentaries on Lewton offhand. Thanks for the news. Best, Scott
Old 02-02-04, 03:29 PM
Banned

I like Val Lewton films.
Old 02-02-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 658 Likes on 408 Posts
I like Chinese.
Old 02-02-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't like chinese films, but I the LOVE val lewtons.
Old 02-03-04, 03:46 AM
Banned

I hope that The Body Snatcher is released this year. This is Karloff at his best.