Buy more DVDS or New TV

Community
Search

Buy more DVDS or New TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-04, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy more DVDS or New TV

I currently am in a big habit of collecting DVDS am at 185 and dont plan to stop anytime to soon but I feel kind of weird considering I watch All of my movies on a 6-7 year old Sony 21-22 inch Trinitron TV,buy a new and decent set will cost me alot and will set me back from buying dvds for pretty long,so what should I do am I in a win-lose situation?
Old 02-01-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I chose to have the foundation of my film library built first. easy choice though....we are having our new home built and am waiting for my theater room to be finished before choosing my set-up. there is no room in my current house for a 65" WS....so why bother. I've been using an 36" Toshiba Cinema Series standard for about 2 years.....and during this time, dreaming about our new home. the bitter sub-zero temps and bad weather here of late has delayed it even further. I keep buying dvds/films regardless. I still can enjoy the film and when the spring comes, I can re-discover my entire library all over again!

you need to gain control of a budget and plan well. I say, buy a few less dvds and start saving for the proper set-up. or get a loan and buy it all now.
Old 02-01-04, 12:47 AM

I will start saving up for one...the tihng is am only 15 right now with no job but the good thing is I can basically get any TV for half or 75% of the price,so what do you reccomend a good system for me It can be like a huge big screen tv it has to fit my room maybe sumthing you put on the wall?
Old 02-01-04, 12:50 AM

How can you get that type of discount?
Old 02-01-04, 12:53 AM

my father does barter deal witht he owner of PC RICHARDS.
Old 02-01-04, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Priorties for me were very simple.

1. Build large DVD library.
2. Buy House
3. Get Excessively Large Widescreen Plasma TV.

In that order.

DVDs are easy to get one at a time (up to about 300 now). I promised my wife that I would not spend 5 figures on a TV until after we buy a house, so that is next. Within 2 days of close of escrow, I will own that TV (hopefully by Christmas at the latest).

Can't wait!!!!!
Old 02-01-04, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by LasVegasMichael
Priorties for me were very simple.

1. Build large DVD library.
2. Buy House
3. Get Excessively Large Widescreen Plasma TV.

In that order.
That seems like a good plan. I just finished step 2. Now I have to convince my wife we need #3. Like that's gonna happen!
Old 02-01-04, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will start saving up for one...the tihng is am only 15 right now with no job but the good thing is I can basically get any TV for half or 75% of the price,so what do you reccomend a good system for me It can be like a huge big screen tv it has to fit my room maybe sumthing you put on the wall?
you can get a projector for $1K.
an infocus X1.
a lot of people, for a first pj especially, seem to be very happy with it.

you can put it on a shelf or under the bed when your not using it, and all you need is control of the lighting situation.

i'm on my second pj.
no way i would go back to a tv or plasma if i could avoid it.
Old 02-01-04, 05:51 AM
Banned

Dont get an excessively large set...just get a 32' Analog set for a few hundred...and then when HDTV is the real deal in 4-5 years...get a HDTV....
Old 02-01-04, 07:05 AM

HDTVs are like computers, unless you find a really great deal you'll be able to find the same one cheaper six months down the road. Prices keep dropping and should drop more as HD goes more mainstream. My 27" is good enough for me right now, but I'll probably upgrade in a year or two. I can see a good size one costing $600-700 around then.
Old 02-01-04, 07:28 AM
Gig

i found that i had to get my surround sound and widescreen first before i got dvd's. I recently upgraded from a 14 inch portable to a 28 inch widescreen. Also a logic 3 soundsttion to a philips surround sound. I dont think i will be upgrading any time soon as uni will be costing rather alot. DVD'S are so addictive to buy though!
Old 02-01-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by RandyM
Prices keep dropping and should drop more as HD goes more mainstream. My 27" is good enough for me right now, but I'll probably upgrade in a year or two. I can see a good size one costing $600-700 around then.
I hope you're right, because that's my game plan too!
Old 02-01-04, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by ckolchak
you can get a projector for $1K.
an infocus X1.
a lot of people, for a first pj especially, seem to be very happy with it.

you can put it on a shelf or under the bed when your not using it, and all you need is control of the lighting situation.

i'm on my second pj.
no way i would go back to a tv or plasma if i could avoid it.
Same here. There's something about watching a movie on a 110" screen.
In regards to the OP though, I say continue your DVD collection until you can affors a REAL good home theater setup.
Old 02-01-04, 01:34 PM

Why not do both? I was tired of watching movies on a "36 inch screen, so I put money aside every week and saved up for 10 months and bought a "65 HDTV and didn't miss a beat with any DVDs I wanted to buy. Be patient - put aside enough money that would add up to what TV you can afford. I had the money taken out directly from my pay every week into an account that was exclusively for the TV. I didn't miss the money, and at the end of the 10 months I had the TV I wanted - which, in fact was $600 cheaper than when I started to save for it!
Old 02-01-04, 01:35 PM

It sucks to be me. I watch all my DVD's on a 14'' TV/Video.
Old 02-01-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a 20 inch Sony WEGA on my desk and that's where most of my watching takes place, with a Panasonic 27 inch in the living room. I'm thinking about using my tax money for a big screen this year, but I'm also doing remodelling around my lil house as well.......walls and carpet and DIY stuff. For some reason I'm just not chomping at the bit to put down the cash to have a massive HT system. In essence I'm building around where my home theater will be .
Good things come to those who wait, and as has been said here already, the prices will drop on HDTV units and the bottom has absolutely fallen out on big screen units as we used to know them. Shoot, Wallyworld sells them now for $1000.......8 years ago I paid $600 for my 27 inch screen.

Last edited by nightmaster; 02-01-04 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-02-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I built my collection up to over 230 DVDs while dreaming of upgrading my 27" Toshiba to something big. I'd love a projector but you need alot of light control and preferably a dedicated room. I saved for almost a year for a rear projection TV and finally got one in December.

I put a hold on my DVD buying when I decided to buy the TV since I also bought an engagement ring at about the same time. I got a 51" Hitachi 51S700 and I'm loving it so far. I haven't bought a DVD since November but I got enough for Christmas to hold me over for awhile. I'm catching up on my unwatched pile which kept getting bigger and bigger.

I now have a nice TV and surround sound system, plus a decent DVD collection. Now I need to work on getting a house . I'm only in an apartment right now and not long out of college.
Old 02-02-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
200 movies is a good start. I'd go for the a new HD set. All 200 of your movies will be brand new again once you start re-watching them in anamorphic glory.

I probably had around 400 when I got the HD set. Newer movies are still in shrink wrap because I still like breaking out a movie I had that I haven't watched on the big screen yet. It never gets old. I love my tv.
Old 02-02-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Since you're 15, it doesn't make much sense to get a nice TV. If you go to college in a few years, you won't be able to fit it in your dorm room anyway. If you don't, you'll still more than likely spend those years moving around a lot and a large TV will be more of a hassle than it's worth.

I will admit to a bias since I'm not in the least an audio- or videophile. I am perfectly happy with my 20" set and don't intend to buy a nicer TV until I'm filthy rich and have run out of other uses for my money.
Old 02-02-04, 11:38 AM

Since you're 15, it doesn't make much sense to get a nice TV. If you go to college in a few years, you won't be able to fit it in your dorm room anyway. If you don't, you'll still more than likely spend those years moving around a lot and a large TV will be more of a hassle than it's worth.
illennium has a good point. I think a small projector of good quality would fit your bill especially since it would be portable and be adjustable from a small to large screen size. I don't see you putting a RP Set in your room or an expensive Plasma. Do your research on a $1000-1500 projector and with your Dad's discount, you'll have something between now and when you get out of school (asuming you don't want to be in the workforce too quick). Add a Home Theater In A Box audio set-up that you can
get less than a $1000 and you'll be all set. Good luck.

Boy, home theater nuts get younger and younger don't they.
Old 02-02-04, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by steebo777
Same here. There's something about watching a movie on a 110" screen.
In regards to the OP though, I say continue your DVD collection until you can affors a REAL good home theater setup.
I agree with the projector idea.

Your enjoyment of even average movies will go up exponentially when viewed on a much larger screen. A much more "movie-like" experience.

Don't worry about a high end set-up. You can get a great movie watching experience out of a low end projector like the X1.