Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Just in time for SuperBowl: Sports DVDs are Hot!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-04, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anything DVD doesn't conquer?

According to a

USA Today article Sports DVD's sell very well. I bet if they produced a DVD on snail races somebody would buy it.

Anyway interesting reading.
Old 01-30-04, 05:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think in addition to DVDs of championship games they should release complete sports seasons on DVD.

I know this isn't really feasible, but they could only produce them in limited amounts, get the players to autograph the sets and the hardcore fans will buy them.

For Example:
2003-2004 The Complete Los Angeles Lakers NBA Season.
->All 82 Games mastered in 5.1 Surround
->Player/coach commentary on selected games.
->Viewer selectable camera angles.
->Ability to listen to international broadcasts of certain games.
->Player biographies and stats.
->Includes authentic team photo signed by all players and coaches.
->Limited to 40,000 units!
->22 disc set (If commercials are cut, each game could be around 2 hours. Thus dual layered and dual sided disc can hold maybe 4 games, so a 21-22 disc set!)
$299.95

OR the same format, just for playoffs or exciting (non-blowout) regular season games.
Old 01-30-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by smirnoffski

For Example:
->22 disc set (If commercials are cut, each game could be around 2 hours. Thus dual layered and dual sided disc can hold maybe 4 games, so a 21-22 disc set!)
$299.95
That should also come with a posable Jack Nicholson action figure that has the ability to jump off his seat to scream at refs.
Old 01-30-04, 05:47 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by smirnoffski
For Example:
$299.95
NO offense, but would you, first spend that much of money to buy the whole season, and second, spend that much of time to watch everygame again? The truth of the matters is that Sports season starts every year. 2002-2003 season may very well be just as exciting as the 2003-2004 season. It's hard to imagine that anyone would spend that much of time and money to watch every bucket scored in the season.
Old 01-30-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm waiting for The New England Patriots Superbowl Champions DVD!

Old 01-30-04, 06:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
NO offense, but would you, first spend that much of money to buy the whole season, and second, spend that much of time to watch everygame again? The truth of the matters is that Sports season starts every year. 2002-2003 season may very well be just as exciting as the 2003-2004 season. It's hard to imagine that anyone would spend that much of time and money to watch every bucket scored in the season.
Take it easy there, just a suggestion. There are hardcore fans, not including myself, that would not mind having such a collection as a sports collectible.

I assume you did not read this line.

OR the same format, just for playoffs or exciting (non-blowout) regular season games.
If it was to be done for just for playoffs, then such a playoff only sports DVD set would be much more feasible.
Wouldn't it be interesting to hear player/coach commentary for a championship game?
And this is not just a season/playoff highlight reel, I mean ALL the playoff games in one set. Now THAT I would not mind buying!
Old 01-30-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Robert
I'm waiting for The New England Patriots Superbowl Champions DVD!

Me too. It wont be too long of a wait. Ive dusted off my 2001 DVD and the 3 Games to Glory DVD just to tide me over.
Old 01-30-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could definitely see the appeal of football, baseball, basketball, or soccer games to be put regularly on DVD - particularly with the suggestion of them being playoffs or particularly exciting games. While I, personally, wouldn't be interested in DVDs of those sports, I'm a huge bicycle racing fan, and I've been thrilled to pieces to see cycling come to DVD. There are many more races than are released on DVD (at least so far!) but for instance, we get the Tour de France, the Giro d'Italia, and the Vuelta a Espana, and the one-day Spring Classics - all equivalent to playoffs in their excitement level/importance to the overall cycling season - as well as occasional releases of other races that aren't normally as well known, but are particularly exciting that time.

There's a ton of repeat viewing value for the cycling DVDs - more than I would have expected when I first started watching races (on VHS, actually). I enjoy going back every now and then and watching them in chronological order, basically getting to experience the season over again. I can imagine a similar level of enjoyment for, say, football or basketball fans watching the playoffs.
Old 01-31-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by chrisih8u
Me too. It wont be too long of a wait. Ive dusted off my 2001 DVD and the 3 Games to Glory DVD just to tide me over.
I did the exact same thing this week. According to the USA Today article, the Tampa disc of SB 37 was #3 for the year and sold 125K copies, but the SB 36 disc is the #1 selling sports disc of all time with over 500K!
Old 01-31-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by SuperJim88
A buddy of mine recorded every Bull's game during their run in the 90's and would rewatch them during the offseason. He probably had ~200-300 cassette tapes full of games. I would imagine that a sports fan like that might like the idea (although it's not something I'd be interested in).
Old 01-31-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
The 2002 World Series DVD is excellent, as is A Red Dawn Rises: The Story Of The 2002 Anaheim Angels.

I wouldn't want a DVD set of an entire baseball season, but it would be great to have a complete, uncut 2002 World Series on DVD...especially games 6 and 7
Old 01-31-04, 04:30 PM

I would, and already have so far, buy any dvd that features the green bay packers
Old 02-01-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why hasn't the NFL released the Super Bowls in there entirety on DVD?
Old 02-01-04, 01:07 AM
Cool New Member

I'd love to see some more Boxing on DVD. Imagine, the complete Holyfield and Tyson careers. That would be especially nice since a lot of those fights are only available on pay per view or pay tv. Though, I'd be hesitant in buying DVD's blurry Beta/VHS level video. They'd have to be DVD quality to make it worthwhile. That Micheal Jordan's Max DVD was great, but how many games are done in film or high resolution?
Old 02-01-04, 07:49 PM

Heh , got the Superbowl dvd queued at netflix myself....