Community
Search

MGM DVDs: Here's what's happening...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGM DVDs: Here's what's happening...

Oh my God! Another Full Frame only DVD release (e.g., Dances with Wolves, West Side Story) from MGM will hit store shelves this May.

It seems obvious to me that MGM wants two markets for their DVDs.

1. Average Joes who love Pan & Scan/Full Frame and "just want to watch the damn movie"

2. Film Enthusiasts and home theater folks who demand OAR, Digital 5.1 Surround and plenty of extras

The second group, will get high-priced deluxe boxed sets in OAR etc. and the former will get single disc, movie only Pan and Scan/Full Frame junk.

It seems there will be no OAR single disc option for now. MGM is going to make us pay $$$ for our widescreen, 5.1 Surround "treats."
Old 02-02-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Speechless?

I thought as much would be the case. It's a scary scenario.
Old 02-02-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The second group, will get high-priced deluxe boxed sets in OAR..
If only.
Old 02-02-04, 10:07 AM

It only gets worse. Just got word that the Bergman boxset I was so looking forward to is completely screwed. God I hope they fix this.
Old 02-02-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Screwed, but in the opposite direction that you'd expect. They've actually matted fullscreen films to make them widescreen:

http://207.136.67.23/film/DVDCompare2/criminal.htm

Strange.
Old 02-02-04, 10:29 AM

The studios really need to start educating people to the fact that sometimes fullscreen <is> OAR. I'm sure MGM was just anticipating all the complaining that would have happened if they had released fullscreen transfers of the Bergman films.
Old 02-02-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There would have been no complaining, as Bergman fans tend to be savvy about stuff like this. I mean, perhaps one or two misguided souls might register their shock on these boards, something like "CITIZEN KANE PAN&SCAN ATROCITY!!!!". But these would hardly be the norm.
Old 02-02-04, 01:21 PM

But it doesn't even make sense because Persona was done correctly, and the other films weren't. MGM had to be under the impression that what they were doing was the correct ratio. I'm still not convinced either way that it is or not, those caps don't really prove much other than the 2 dvd releases are different.

My hope is that either A) these transfers are correct or B) MGM will correct them. I'm not holding my breath on either one though
Old 02-02-04, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by FreshOne
But it doesn't even make sense because Persona was done correctly, and the other films weren't
As far as I know, A Passion(of Anna) was done correctly too, since the original aspect ratio is 1.66:1 according to the Swedish Film Institute. The Serpent's Egg may also be 1.66 OAR, but I dont know because it doesn't have its OAR listed. It's really unfortunate about Hour of the Wolf and Shame though, and I don't think I'll be getting the set, no matter how much I was anticipating it.