Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Do you keep your Criterion releases with your regular edition DVD's?

Do you keep your Criterion releases with your regular edition DVD's?

Old 01-29-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Sometime they are all alphabetical, then I get bored on a rainy day and separate them out. Right now, the Criterions are in Spine Number order (but I find that kind of annoying to look through, so alpha will probably be back soon)
Old 01-29-04, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I have a more unique way. I arrange mine in alpha by the directors last name and then within that by the year of release however there are several exceptions. A series (such as Alien) goes under the name of the first film in the series so my Quad goes under S for Scott. For movies that have a prequel the prequel goes first and I go by that directors name if it is directed by someone who did not do the others (so when I get the other films my Hannibal collection will go under Mann since he did the first film). Currently my tv sets are going by the last name of the star (so MST3K is under N for Nelson) and my Bond's are on a seperate shelf and will not be broken up. I want them all on on shelf. I find this way easiest. I used to go by genre but that drove me mad (where does Fight Club go?) and I want my collections (like Gilliam's films) together. I don't bother doing anything special with Criterions.
Old 01-29-04, 08:36 PM
Cool New Member

1) Box Sets Separate (generally alphabetical, but whatever fits best on the shelf)

2) Disney Animation Separate (alphabetical)

3) Criterion Separate by Spine Number

4) Signed DVDs Separate (alphabetical)

5) Unwatched DVDs Separate (alphabetical)

6) The rest... Alphabetical
Old 01-29-04, 08:38 PM

I used to mix my Criterions with my regular DVDs, until I sold my Rushmore Criterion a year ago...
Old 01-29-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not a big Criterion guy, so in short... Yes I do mix them in. They're all movies to me.
Old 01-29-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5 areas

1. Criterion by Spine#
2. Specialty Boxes and Sets
3. Snap Cases - alphabetical
4. Keep Cases - alphabetical
5. Son's shelf - Movies & PS2 games seperated and arranged how he wants them.
Old 01-29-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
I have a limited amount of shelf space and Criterions at the moment, so until I get some more DVD cabinets (and a few more CCs) they'll be right next to the others. When that happens ...they'll probably be arranged by Spine#.
Old 01-29-04, 11:12 PM

I keep my Criterions (about 150 of them) mixed in with the rest of my DVDs, which are organized by Director, then Year (except for a small TV on DVD section which is separate).
Old 01-29-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Everything alphabetical with music videos/performances at the end.
Old 01-29-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't have a huge number of Criterions (34), but they're kept in order by spine # on their own wall-mounted shelf next to my main DVD rack; the exception is the Hitchcock set, which is at the start of the shelf and in the original slipcase. I've thought about just putting these DVDs in their proper spots with the rest of the Criterions, but I like the box.
Old 01-30-04, 11:35 AM

So far I've kept all my feature films alphabetized, with only snapper cases and Bond movies kept separate. But I'm about to run out of shelf space, so I'm considering pulling my Criterions and putting them elsewhere, ordered by spine #.

I doubt I'll ever do this, but, just for a laugh, I've occasionally thought of organizing my films historically, in order of the years the stories actually take place. So something like Spartacus would probably be first, with some sci-fi film about the year 4021 at the end. That would put alot of genres like westerns more or less together. Modern day stuff would probably end up mostly filed by release date. The biggest challenge would be epic films that span 20 years or so; no idea how I'd rank those.
Old 01-30-04, 03:25 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

I put all of my dvds on my wall unit in no order whatsoever, and it is great when other anal collectos come over my house, and they get pissed that the films are not organized, it surely makes my day, to see my idiot firends get so worked up about Silent Night, Deadly Night, next to the greatest of Goodburger(and yes I do own 2 copies of this movie, one signed by Keenan, and the other in my "custom" orange case)
Old 01-30-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
I put all of my dvds on my wall unit in no order whatsoever, and it is great when other anal collectos come over my house, and they get pissed that the films are not organized, it surely makes my day, to see my idiot firends get so worked up about Silent Night, Deadly Night, next to the greatest of Goodburger(and yes I do own 2 copies of this movie, one signed by Keenan, and the other in my "custom" orange case)
Whatever floats your boat.

It's a free country.

Old 01-30-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got a few sections...

1 - Criterions (I've only got a few, but they get their own shelf)
2 - Wrestling DVD's
3 - Snappers
4 - The Directors Label
5 - Everything else

Oh, and on the top of my shelves is my Tarantino shrine, along with all of his DVD's.
Old 01-30-04, 04:43 PM
Cool New Member

All of mine are straight alphabetical, except boxes that don't fit well on shelves (Lynch Short Films box, or the Monty Python box, which always leaves too much room on the previous shelf), except for my Hammer films, which have a separate section.

Mad Max, Road Warrior and Thunderdome go next to eachother, the Dollars trilogy is file alpha for each title.

Indiana Jones box goes under "I", Christopher Lee box goes under "C", Dirty Harry box under "D".

Foreign films are sometimes alpha by translation (Los sin Nombre goes under N for Nameless), sometimes not. I have a spanish disc of Dellamorte Dellamore, which was released in the US as Cemetery Man. I file it under "D" for Dellamorte, even though the disc is titled "Mi Novia es un Zombie".

I can find everything when I'm looking for it, so I guess that works.
Old 01-30-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I have changed my system around since the last "how do you organize your collection" thread, so here goes (don't worry, the Criterion answer is in there somewhere):

I have a main rack (Sauder 5-shelf, about 3 feet wide) and 3 mini racks (2 Sauder 5-shelves and 1 off-brand that only has 4 shelves, each about a foot wide. )

I have had three sections on my main DVD rack: Disney, Classics, and everything else (non-animation.) Each of these were sorted alphabetically, with Disney having 4 sections - Animated, Treasures (tins,) and Live-Action (vault Disneys then the others.) I have since boxed up all discs I have watched from the main section, and have 1 shelf left for unwatched titles. I still have the Disney and Classic sections (1 shelf each,) and then have 2 full shelves of Anime boxes in the main rack.

I use the top of the main rack for oversize boxes and Anchor Bay tins, and I use part of a bookcase for more oversize boxes, and anime boxes (1 shelf for oversize boxes, 1 shelf for anime boxes, and the top of the bookcase for more anime boxes.)

I use the mini racks in this way: 1 shelf each for Horror, snappers, Anchor Bay LE keepcases and odd packages (T-2 tin, Total Recall tin, etc.,) Christmas & Asian Cinema, Criterions (by spine number,) TV shows, TV Animation, and other Animation (non-Disney, non-Anime.) I use 2 shelves for trade DVDs. I use about 4 shelves for overflow Anime.

I have several box sets stuffed into a linen closet, and I have a cardboard "shelf" that I made to hold about 2 shelves worth of Anime.

Everything is sorted alphabetically within the categories, with the exception of the Criterions.
Old 01-30-04, 05:42 PM
Banned

I keep my Criterion seperate in a different case...with my Boxsets/TV Series/Film Series...
Old 01-30-04, 05:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
well..i decided to pull my Crits and moved them to the top of my special edition set case (small case that holds around 80, just for special and oversized)..i put the 15 Crits in alphabetical order..but maybe go the spine order route but considering all collection is alpha perhaps not...i guess..
Old 02-01-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1. Criterions by Spine Number

2. Jack Nicholson films

3. Best Picture Oscar Winners

4. "Regular" films (keep case) by release year (if more than one dvd within same release year: organized by alphabet)

5. Snap cases by release year

I like my system.
Old 02-02-04, 08:36 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by FilmFanSea
I keep my Criterions (about 150 of them) mixed in with the rest of my DVDs, which are organized by Director, then Year (except for a small TV on DVD section which is separate).
Ditto for me (except I don't have 150 Criterions. More like 50.)

Last edited by wendersfan; 02-02-04 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-02-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I store my DVDs by case type: keep cases and thinpaks in one place, and all the misfits in another. I'm also slowly converting my misfits to keep cases or thinpaks thanks to DVDCoverArt.Com.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 02-02-04 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-02-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

now that i have quite a few criterions i have placed them on their own shelf. they're not alpha-ed but in their own groups (i.e. all hitchcocks together, all kurasawas, etc.)
Old 02-02-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's my system:

1. Mario Bava
2. Hitchcock
3. Cronenberg
4. Peckinpah
5. Fritz Lang
6. Westerns
7. Family/Animation
8. Budget titles (Alpha, Catcom, etc.)
9. Everything else, in no particular order

My shelves are very chaotic, as you can imagine.
Old 02-02-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Up until yesterday, yes, they were separated. As were box sets, snappers, keep cases, etc.

Now everything is just alphabetical.
Old 02-02-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hell no... My Criterions have there own bookshelf and are in Spine Order! All 200 + of them!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.