Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

The Lost in Translation dvd cover is the worst thing I've seen in a long time!!

Community
Search

The Lost in Translation dvd cover is the worst thing I've seen in a long time!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-04, 04:45 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget, the US version also has SIX MINUTES of forced trailers before the film, too.

I'm trying to find out if the Alliance/Canadian version does also, but I doubt it.

If the extras are the same I'm ALL OVER the Canadian version, although I can't find it online anywhere.
Old 01-26-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jough
Don't forget, the US version also has SIX MINUTES of forced trailers before the film, too.

I'm trying to find out if the Alliance/Canadian version does also, but I doubt it.

If the extras are the same I'm ALL OVER the Canadian version, although I can't find it online anywhere.
The only downside to the Canadian version, though, is shitty English/French stuff everywhere.
Old 01-26-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Whatever. Covers don't bother me (you see them for a total of like 60 seconds your whole life) and I can survive fast-forwarding through forced trailers. I'm not anal about a wasted 5-6 seconds there.

Can't wait to blind buy this movie. Everyone here is way too picky with these DVD covers
Old 01-26-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by baracine
cornbetts, you're not the only one who feels that way. Check out this opinion piece by respected, thought-provoking Quebec journalist Lysiane Gagnon in today's Toronto Globe and Mail:

http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet/s...Translation%22

could you keep the discussion on the film in MOVIE TALK where it belongs? if you bitch and crap on the film in this thread it's just that.. Thread Crapping. I will agree that the attention on it now with the awards will bring in more folks to see this and many of those new folks expecting a LOL comedy will be let down. but damn, I loved this movie so much. so keep the bashing to a thread in movie talk.
Old 01-26-04, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by jough
Well, all Canadian etailers have it (they may be showing the wrong cover, but you'll get the Canadian cover). At Amazon.ca, the one that is listed at $24.49 is the US version, the one that is listed at $28.67 is the Canadian version (ignore the cover, it isn't even for this movie).
Old 01-26-04, 05:45 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
could you keep the discussion on the film in MOVIE TALK where it belongs? if you bitch and crap on the film in this thread it's just that.. Thread Crapping. I will agree that the attention on it now with the awards will bring in more folks to see this and many of those new folks expecting a LOL comedy will be let down. but damn, I loved this movie so much. so keep the bashing to a thread in movie talk.
I was just being nice to cornbetts but it's funny to note that a lot of people who just love this film also think that a few words of French here and there on the cover of a DVD made in Canada (where French is one of the two official languages) will give them cancer. Maybe you have to be a xenophobe to like this film?

Be that as it may, many Canadian-made DVDs offering a French track also provide a totally reversible cover insert with the English text on one side and the French text "nicely segregated" on the other side, so to speak, so as not to offend the delicate sensibilities of unilingual anglophones (like the characters in the film - ahem!).

Last edited by baracine; 01-27-04 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-26-04, 05:57 PM

Good! I like trailers. Every company should put trailers like this on their DVDs.

If you don't like 'em, just press a button to skip past 'em.
I, though, think they're nice at the start of a movie (just like watching the "Forced Trailers" -- that sometimes last 20 minutes!) at the multiplex.

Don't understand the persistent cries of "Yikes--What A Hideous LiT Cover!" either. Looks OK to me. Especially the font, which is much better (bolder) than the original poster art (I.M.O.).

Perhaps the studios should just include "Blank" cover art on all DVDs from now on (since there's so much dissent re. these things)....and then add as one of the disc's "Special Features" some kind of "Create Your Own Cover Art" program.

Last edited by davidvp; 01-26-04 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-26-04, 06:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
the cover art epitomizes the very essence of one of the best movies of the year, if not the past five years..deal with it!
Old 01-26-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by davidvp
Good! I like trailers. Every company should put trailers like this on their DVDs.

But there lies the problem with forced trailers... You can't just press a button to skip past em... You must fast forward through them every time that you watch the film... If it was as easy as hitting skip, I don't think anyone would mind. Forced trailers are suck.

And the cover sucks. Ass. Major.

But I'm picking it up anyhoo...
Old 01-26-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by brizz
The spine is all you'll ever see anyway when it's not being watched....geesh.
UNLESS YOU WORK IN A VIDEO STORE (which I do). So I'm going to be seeing this cover a lot, which is going to make me sad because I love this movie, but that art is pretty bad. I would have liked to see either of the theatrical posters for the cover, but there's not much that can be done about it now.
Old 01-26-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That Canadian version looks great. I also remember FOCUS doing a God awful region 1 dvd cover art for Far From Heaven but for the Canadian version did the original movie poster.
Old 01-26-04, 08:26 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Perhaps you're not understanding the word "forced." You can't skip past them on most new DVD players. With my Sony I get a "The operation is impossible right now" when I press the "next" button. Lovely.

So basically I have to sit through the same six minutes of trailers every time I put this disc in my player, just to get to the main menu.

So I won't buy the disc. I'll buy the Canadian version (bilingual cover and all) and get the same features without the marketing crap.
Old 01-26-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you could hold down the button, and make them go by faster.
Old 01-26-04, 09:23 PM
Banned

It's the best scary movie since the Sixth Sense.
Old 01-26-04, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Rypro 525
you could hold down the button, and make them go by faster.
Oh, and while were at it, how about we make all the DVDs full screen and botch the transfer, since you are so anxious to be an apologist for any studio move that makes DVDs inches closer to being VHS abominations.
Old 01-26-04, 09:50 PM

That Canadian version looks great. I also remember FOCUS doing a God awful region 1 dvd cover art for Far From Heaven but for the Canadian version did the original movie poster.
Pianist, too. In that case, though, the US version had the superior transfer. I planned on buying the Canadian versions of both FFH and Pianist, but I ended up getting them for $11 at Columbia Hose during a sale, so I made do. Still wish I had the nicer ones. I tried DVDcoverart.com but the print outs don't look that great with my equipment.
Old 01-26-04, 09:55 PM
Cool New Member

busy!

this cover is far to busy for the movie... it's more of a laid back movie... it should be like... light colors... with the name written in some sort of dainty cursive hand writing... maybe take the sceen where she is putting up the lamps or something... i dunno the cover screams THIS MOVIE IS BILL MURRAY... i dunno they could've done a ton better job on it... i'm still buying it though haha funny how that works
Old 01-26-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, exactly. This movie is not just Bill Burray. For those who've seen the indie mags, you know that Scarlett is all over the covers! It's a beautiful thing, my friends!
Old 01-26-04, 10:39 PM

The thing that bothers me about Alliance Atlantis products it that they feel the need to put their logo on the package no less than 8 times in rather obtrusive icons considering they had NOTHING to do with the production of the movie, at all.
Old 01-27-04, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by scroll2b
Then the title font and surround text is just way too strong, way too bold. Where's the subtlety from the original? It's like putting the Pulp Fiction font in Times New Roman.... why change it? It should be the same, no matter what media it’s used on.
Exactly what I was trying to say earlier in the thread.

Now, someone needs to get those Canadian DVD specs
Old 01-27-04, 12:56 AM

Perhaps you're not understanding the word "forced." You can't skip past them on most new DVD players. .... So basically I have to sit through the same six minutes of trailers every time I put this disc in my player, just to get to the main menu.
I've never once encountered anything of this sort.
I simply hit "Menu" or "Top Menu". One or the other will work to skip past the unwanted item(s).
Old 01-27-04, 12:59 AM
Suspended

That won't work with the discs that disable the menu button. I guess you've never bought a Universal or Disney disc with Forced Trailers (I gave a cursory look at the list in your sig and didn't see any discs that I know of that have forced trailers), because if you had you'd understand why people hate them so.

I'm all for putting trailers on the discs - I LIKE trailers - just not six minutes of the same ones every time I put a disc in the player.

How hard is it to make them a menu item?
Old 01-27-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I simply hit "Menu" or "Top Menu". One or the other will work to skip past the unwanted item(s).
Do you have any of the recent Universal titles? Maybe your player ignores Universal's encoding, but on most players the studio's recent titles have locked out the menu and stop buttons during the forced trailers.
Old 01-27-04, 01:09 AM

I guess you've never bought a Universal or Disney disc with Forced Trailers...
Guess not.

NOT being able to skip past them (quickly) would be annoying indeed. How idiotic.

If this is the case (and obviously it is), it's as if the studios doing this are going out of their way to piss off the DVD-buying public. Just silly. Like has been said, why not just keep the SKIP and MENU keys enabled to give the consumer the "choice" of watching the trailers or not? They're only going to alienate the heart of their business by continuing this "Forced" practice. Tsk, Tsk!

At least the folks at Image Entertainment/Panasonic learned to listen to the masses when they changed the latter volumes of "The Twilight Zone" DVDs, removing the consistently-annoying and exasperating lengthy musical menu transitions, in favor of something more immediately-responsive.
Old 01-27-04, 06:48 AM

Good luck with that when viewing Universal titles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.