My Spine Number Sense is Tingling!

Old 01-24-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My Spine Number Sense is Tingling!

Egads! Fox Studio Classics are eerily numbered! The Criterion collector in me was just slapped around! Must... buy... them... all!

Seriously though, how many of you out there intend to collect the Fox Studio Classics? Is there an updated list somewhere? (I checked the official site, but I think there are more available then are listed there. Am I right?) Looks like there are some great old films coming out this way!

Are there more spine numbered sets out there that I have been unaware of?

Oh and just to nip all of you haters out there before it starts, please don't start the 'Spine number collectors suck' replies. I LIKE to collect DVD's with spine numbers! So there! So all of you collectors help me out!
Old 01-24-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been collecting them. Here's what's been released so far:
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...s&id=robbroder

Upcoming releases:

2/3: The Diary of Anne Frank
3/2: Peyton Place
4/6: The Grapes of Wrath
Old 01-24-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

On no, I just got the urge to go shopping looking at those.

Maybe I could just get a few and then stop. Oh wait, who am I kidding, that will never work. Must.resist.the.spine.numbers.
Old 01-24-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks RobCA. Wow! Grapes of Wrath is coming! Color me giddy!
Old 01-25-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gotta love the older classics.

--LVM
Old 01-25-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: My Spine Number Sense is Tingling!

Originally posted by Kerborus

.... I LIKE to collect DVD's with spine numbers! So there! So all of you collectors help me out!
Well, Once Upon A Time In Mexico has the spine number 08717 ... anyone know what the first 8716 were?
Old 01-25-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hate spine numbers, so stupid looking when you don't own the rest of the collection.
Old 01-25-04, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You say 'stupid', I say 'challenge'.
Old 01-25-04, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also collect the Fox Studio Classics. I have to admit I was suckered into buying them because of the spine numbers, but I'm glad. I had never seen most of them before I bought them, and now I really look forward to picking up the next classic on the first Tuesday of every month.

So far this is the only numbered set I'm working on. As much as I'd love to have a complete set of criterions, I know my budget would never allow for that. The Fox Studio Classics are priced right, and the extras are usually quite exceptional.
Old 01-25-04, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone notice the weird spine number chronology on the new ALIEN series 2-disk sets. It starts with something like 11. So what were the first 10?

I own a lot of Fox 5-star sets and none of them have spine numbers...neither does THE ABYSS or FIGHT CLUB...
Old 01-25-04, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spine numbers are like Pokemon. Gotta catch em all!
Old 01-25-04, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by CrumpsBrother
Anyone notice the weird spine number chronology on the new ALIEN series 2-disk sets. It starts with something like 11. So what were the first 10?

I own a lot of Fox 5-star sets and none of them have spine numbers...neither does THE ABYSS or FIGHT CLUB...
Which fight club do you own? Mine has number 9 on it. And Alien is 10, Aliens is 11. Not sure what the rest are.
Old 01-25-04, 07:42 AM

I've succumbed...I'm collecting each of these Fox Studio Classics as they come out.
Old 01-25-04, 02:13 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: My Spine Number Sense is Tingling!

Fox has been numbering some of their re-releases, so the original Fight Club release doesn't have a spine # but the latest one does. There was a thread that listed the ones out now but I can't find it right now.

Plexifilm DVDs also have spine numbers.
Old 01-25-04, 02:44 PM

You say 'stupid', I say 'challenge'.
I say STUPID CHALLENGE!

Gee, is it this easy for you guys to be manipulated by a studio into buying everything they release? Just cause it has a spine number?! Well, when the other companies catch wind of this, everything will have spine numbers on them and you will then be forced to buy everything that is released.

As for me I do something foolish with my money... I put it in the Bank.
Old 01-25-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

blah blah blah.

'I put my money in the bank'... Jeez, me too, but I also like my hobby and I have enough money for both.

I can't stand people who are afraid to 'be controlled by DVD marketers' or afraid of 'subliminal numbering'. They picture people with wild darting eyes lusting after each individual number! It's just a hobby, get a life.

I also collect comics, but I suppose I'm just being manipulated there too...

I guess he didn't read my first post where I asked for negative posts to be posted on the 'oh my god, my DVD collection is too big, what have I been thinking' forum? Please, fly fly away.
Old 01-25-04, 11:34 PM
Banned

blah blah blah.

'I put my money in the bank'... Jeez, me too, but I also like my hobby and I have enough money for both.

If you have enough money, why don't you invest your money in real estate?
Old 01-25-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is already a thread on the money spending habits of the collectors here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=343206

Regarding the original question, the spine number thing doesn't do it for me.

Unless it is a TV Season set (i.e. Season One, Season Two etc) I don't care what numbers they put on the side.

I have about 4 Criterions, and the numbers mean nothing to me. Its not like I'm going to go out and try to buy all the foreign CC anyway, as I have no interest in them.

The spine # thing is a great marketing idea, and appeals to the niche market.

Thankfully, I am not part of that market.

--LVM
Old 01-26-04, 12:26 AM

1 The Abyss
2 Cast Away
3 Independence Day
4 Planet of the Apes (2001)
5 The Sound of Music
6 Moulin Rouge
7 Die Hard
8 ? ? ? ? ?
9 Fight Club
10 Alien
11 Aliens
12 Alien³
13 Alien: Resurrection
14 Planet of the Apes (1968)
15 The Commitments
Old 01-26-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll never understand why people get their panties in such a bunch over what other people buy. If somebody wants to buy an entire collection of something, more power to them - how does that effect you?

As for the Fox Studio Classic titles, I've been impressed with all the titles I've bought so far, but I just don't have enough interest in some of the titles to own all of them. I am enjoying all the Henry Fonda titles though, plus Mark of Zorro.

Also, I just picked up a copy of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" the other day, and there is a mail-in offer included...Buy 3 Fox Studio Classics and get a copy of "Sunrise" (1927) for free. Not sure what the spine number is on that one, but I didn't see it mentioned in this thread yet. It has to be mailed in before 1/31/04, so time is running out.
Old 01-26-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you got the money, do what you feel. But these will never match the allure of Criterions because:

1. They lack the history, Criterion has a great tradition dating back to VHS and Laserdisc

2. Movie quality: On the whole, I don't think they'll compare with the Criterions. Although I'll be there for Grapes of Wrath opening day

3. Artifical OOP status: Criterions go OOP only due to rights issues, but if the Fox films were to go OOP, it'd be artifical. And as much as any aspiring or sucessful Criterion collector knows there will never be another Salo or Sid and Nancy, there is that chance that MAYBE something could be a special piece in time.
Old 01-26-04, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by starseed
1 The Abyss
2 Cast Away
3 Independence Day
4 Planet of the Apes (2001)
5 The Sound of Music
6 Moulin Rouge
7 Die Hard
8 ? ? ? ? ?
9 Fight Club
10 Alien
11 Aliens
12 Alien³
13 Alien: Resurrection
14 Planet of the Apes (1968)
15 The Commitments
So, what in the world do these films have to do with each other? Numbering re-releases of special editions doesn't seem logical...
Old 01-26-04, 01:33 AM
Banned

Those who buy the individual releases of the "Alien" series may miss out on the extensive 9th bonus disc, BUT THEY'LL HAVE FOX STUDIO CLASSICS VOLUMES 10-13, MAN!
Old 01-26-04, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I could care less if someone wants to collect movies by spine number. It's no different then say... collecting complete sets of comic books or sports cards. You don't like every story or every player, but you have them

As far as what the Fox re-releases have in common... absolutely nothing except that they're 2 disc special editions. Perhaps Fox feels they're good enough/worth enough to be distinct?
Old 01-26-04, 03:10 AM

blah blah blah.

I can't stand people who are afraid to 'be controlled by DVD marketers' or afraid of 'subliminal numbering'. They picture people with wild darting eyes lusting after each individual number! It's just a hobby, get a life.

I also collect comics, but I suppose I'm just being manipulated there too...

I guess he didn't read my first post where I asked for negative posts to be posted on the 'oh my god, my DVD collection is too big, what have I been thinking' forum? Please, fly fly away.
If you dont want negative posting, dont post a thread. Simple enough.

I just think it is retarded to base your purchasing decisions on a little number on the spine of your DVD.

But hey, if you wanna be a tool of the studio, so be it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.