DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   MGM two disc special edition (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/343225-mgm-two-disc-special-edition.html)

MovieFan999 01-24-04 09:23 PM

MGM two disc special edition

I recentley got West side story Two Disc and I love it. What other movies has MGM put out on two disc special edition. I know chitty chitty bang bang and escape from New York. I'm not sure what others are two disc since MGM will say other movies are special edition and they seem to have very minimal features like some Like it hot and Annie Hall. thanks

DonnachaOne 01-24-04 09:44 PM

Since I do not see the point in dividing one-disc and two-disc )or more) special editions, I'm listing as many as I know. Some DVDs are simply rereleases, being called Special Editions just as a selling point (surprise, surprise); there are also a ton of 'standard' DVDs of theirs that have a ton of features. Also, some SEs are double-sided discs, and could very well have been 2-disc editions. But hey, people will think "2 discs" is more value for money, right?

There's also a ton more SEs inother regions, such as Robocop and Misery.

All the official Bond Films (Die Another Day being 2 discs)

To Live & Die in LA

The Howling

Fargo

Blue Velvet

The Fog

Carrie

Windtalkers: The Director's Cut (3 discs)

Dances With Wolves: The Director's Cut (2 discs)

The Silence Of The Lambs

Hannibal (2 discs)

Mad Max

Fiddler On The Roof

The Princess Bride

The Producers

The Terminator

Salaam, Bombay!

The Usual Suspects

Bull Durham

The Sure Thing

Valley Girl

Salvador

Platoon

Of Mice And Men

The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The Eighth Dimension

Thelma & Louise

Some Like It Hot

This Is Spinal Tap

Legally Blonde

Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde

Jeepers Creepers

Jeepers Creepers 2

Wings Of Desire

Rocky

The Last Waltz

Rollerball (
the remake)

The Graduate

The Maginificent Seven

Barbershop

Heartbreakers

What's The Worst That Could Happen?

La Femme Nikita

Thief

The Fantasticks

Escape From New York

West Side Story

Dressed To Kill

They're what I got when I searched for "MGM Special Edition" on Amazon.com.

shawagg 01-25-04 01:32 AM

Not all of those are 2 discs. They are however "SE" so that's why they showed up on your search.

I can't say much more beacuse even I'm not sure what the 2 disc ones are.

DonnachaOne 01-26-04 05:28 PM

I know they're not all 2-disc releases. Reread my post, where I point out that there's not much point in saying which ones are one disc or more.

FatTony 01-26-04 08:16 PM

Bowling For Columbine :D

InnocentBlood 01-26-04 08:25 PM

Originally posted by FatTony
Bowling For Columbine :D
i think that came in 2 editions: a double sided disc and a 2 discs set...

Rypro 525 01-26-04 08:30 PM

also be carefull, about the new version of west side story, as it is FULL FRAME ONLY. This is a one disc version in a keepcase, so look for a big over sized orange box for the widescreen version

jough 01-28-04 07:07 PM

Ugh. So the Collector's Editon box is the only way to get the WS version?

I listed this among my all time top ten discs (see my sig), but it's the two-disc widescreen version with the great packaging and wonderful documentaries.

Ugh. That single disc version looks horrible (from the specs - I haven't actually seen the disc).

DonnachaOne 01-28-04 09:04 PM

Yes, jough...

... fortunately, it's a phone enrollment at Columbia House (still, I hope), so no need to spend too much for it.

Dabaomb 01-29-04 01:49 AM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Yes, jough...

... fortunately, it's a phone enrollment at Columbia House (still, I hope), so no need to spend too much for it.

it hasn't been a phone enrollment for quite some time now.

Mr. Cinema 02-21-04 11:16 AM

Jeepers Creepers has recently been marked down to $9.44 at Walmart and $9.99 everywhere else. I know when it came out, it was a double sided disc, movie on one side and extras on the other. however, when I was at Walmart the other day, I picked up a copy and it felt like it was a single case w/ 2 discs in it. I shook it and it sounded like there was a second holder inside. Anyone else notice this?

SMART-ASS 02-21-04 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Cinema
Jeepers Creepers has recently been marked down to $9.44 at Walmart and $9.99 everywhere else. I know when it came out, it was a double sided disc, movie on one side and extras on the other. however, when I was at Walmart the other day, I picked up a copy and it felt like it was a single case w/ 2 discs in it. I shook it and it sounded like there was a second holder inside. Anyone else notice this?
Wow. That would be cool. I still couldn't make myself buy it though. It's one of the most horribly edited films I've seen in a while. A director's cut would be the only way to go with this one for me. (2¢)

MovieFan999 02-21-04 02:49 PM

I am excited about the relase of Around the world in 80 Days.

Rizor 02-21-04 03:16 PM

Isn't Around the World in 80 Days gonna be a Warners release?

MovieFan999 02-22-04 10:49 AM

It is. I am so confused and brain dead.

Mr. Cinema 03-30-04 06:35 PM

Just an update on Jeepers Creepers. I believe there are now 3 versions. 1st was the original Special Edition, Wide/Full on one side, extras on the other. Then, as I mentioned in this thread earlier, there appears to be a 2 disc release. On the back of it, it only shows the widescreen version and the extras, plus, every one of them I have shook, has that extra case sound to it. Finally, has anyone else noticed some places have Jeepers Creepers without the Special Edition banner across the top? Now, that one has widescreen on the back, and only the audio commentary. I think the special edition will go out of print. DVD Empire now only has this non-SE edition. Just an FYI.

Mr. Cinema 04-01-04 10:17 PM

Well, I bought Jeepers Creepers special edition at walmart tonight for 9.44. Last one they had. This one is now a 2-discer. Disc 1 has widescreen/fullscreen and Disc 2 has the special features. What's sad, is neither disc has any artwork cover on it. Both are just plain discs. MGM must really be lazy. First the SE was a double sided release, now they are breaking into 2 discs, but didn't bother putting a label on either one. No big deal though...

Mountain Biker 04-01-04 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Cinema
What's sad, is neither disc has any artwork cover on it. Both are just plain discs. MGM must really be lazy. First the SE was a double sided release, now they are breaking into 2 discs, but didn't bother putting a label on either one. No big deal though...

Okay since you didn't mention it, I'll have to ask the burning question I'm sure everyone is dying to know.....

Does it have an insert????

:D