Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Disney DVDs - Seven Titles on Moratorium 31 Jan. 2004

Old 01-24-04, 11:45 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Hey kids,

I didn't see this posted anywhere, but Video Business is reporting that the following titles will be on moratorium starting the 31st of January.

As it happens, Best Buy is having a sale on six of the seven titles (the seventh being the Fantasia Anthology 3-Disc set) this week:

Since no one else mentioned this:

Jungle Book 2
Sleeping Beauty
Fantasia
Fantasia 2000
Lady and the Tramp 2
101 Dalmations 2
Old 01-24-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=32425
Old 01-24-04, 03:05 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Invalid thread.
Old 01-24-04, 03:08 PM

Invalid thread. [/QUOTE]

You tell em jough! Thanks for the great info!
Old 01-24-04, 03:52 PM
Suspended

I still need to pick up Sleeping Beauty, Fantasia and Fantasia 2000! I'm going to get the Fantasia box set soon, then I'll grab Sleeping Beauty later.
Old 01-24-04, 04:53 PM
Suspended

I highly recommend getting the Anthology set if you're interested in both Fantasia discs. It's fabulous.

Sleeping Beauty is going on moratorium rather quickly (much faster than the Lion King which is rumoured to be available through the end of April).
Old 01-24-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by jough
Sleeping Beauty is going on moratorium rather quickly (much faster than the Lion King which is rumoured to be available through the end of April).
That's what I was thinking..

Oh, well...I got mine.
Old 01-24-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another vote for the boxset. Great stuff on the 3rd disc.
Old 01-28-04, 08:10 PM
Suspended

Good luck finding these at Best Buy this week. Between the sale and those who are buying them all up to sell on eBay, they're going fast!

They all go on moratorium on Saturday.
Old 01-28-04, 09:42 PM

Can anyone give me an estimate at how long it takes for the public to snatch up all the remaining DVDs. I'd love to have the Fantasia films and Sleeping Beauty but I don't know if I can afford to pick them up right now. If it is going to be near impossible to pick them up online in a few weeks for a good price, then I'll just give in and pick them up.

Anybody know how quick it'll all be gone?
Old 01-28-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by blinkin_winkin
Can anyone give me an estimate at how long it takes for the public to snatch up all the remaining DVDs. I'd love to have the Fantasia films and Sleeping Beauty but I don't know if I can afford to pick them up right now. If it is going to be near impossible to pick them up online in a few weeks for a good price, then I'll just give in and pick them up.

Anybody know how quick it'll all be gone?
I can't give you an exact estimate on that, but here is a tip.

If all Best Buys are like the same, odds are they'll get more copies in by the end of the week.

They will probably be around for a little bit as retailers have to dump out their warehouse stock.
Old 01-29-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They will probably have copies at FYE/Coconuts for months yet, i still see copies of Toy Story, Peter Pan, and other OOPS there....though they're $30 each most of the time.
Old 01-29-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Disney DVDs - Seven Titles on Moratorium 31 Jan. 2004

Originally posted by jough
Hey kids,

I didn't see this posted anywhere, but Video Business is reporting that the following titles will be on moratorium starting the 31st of January.
I think Ed Wood is also joining that list.
Old 01-29-04, 01:39 AM
Suspended

You can still find Snow White at a number of etailers. Sleeping Beauty was a big title - not every B&M will be pulling this from their shelves.

Having said that, I'd pick up a copy while you still can if you're interested in any of these.
Old 01-29-04, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still need to grab the Fantasia Anthology, have been meaning to for a long time but never wanted to shell out all the money. Guess I'm running out of time... To anyone who has the anthology, is the third disc worth it? I know the regular Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 discs already have a lot of special features on them.
Old 01-29-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just ordered the Anthology from Digital Eyes so I'm all set. I haven't seen Sleeping Beauty in forever so I can't even remember if I like it enough to pick it up.
Old 01-29-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dcprules
I still need to grab the Fantasia Anthology, have been meaning to for a long time but never wanted to shell out all the money. Guess I'm running out of time... To anyone who has the anthology, is the third disc worth it? I know the regular Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 discs already have a lot of special features on them.
Oh yes, the third disc is worth it. Lots of great features, my personal favorite is The Fantasia That Never Was segment. You get to see some animations that Disney was going to add but was later abandoned. Only Claire de Lune is fully animated, all the rest is still pictures with music, still great stuff. I highly recommend picking up this box set ASAP.
Old 01-29-04, 11:41 AM
Suspended

The Fantasia Anthology came out around the same time as the Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box, and there were some complaints around here that the Toy Story set was good, but man, if only it were as good as the Fantasia set...

It's one of the best DVD releases EVER.
Old 01-29-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks for the heads up, I need to pick up Sleeping Beauty. As for the craptacular sequals, lets home Eisner gets the boot and they go on permanent moratorium... a "let's forgot we did these" kinda deal.
Old 01-29-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is the correct link started back in October:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=324255
Old 01-29-04, 12:39 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only two titles that I don't have are Jungle Book 2 and 101 Dalmations 2. I'm not sure if I'll miss them.
Old 01-29-04, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Some of those direct-to-video releases are just awful awful awful. Most, perhaps.

Still, I've been seeing commercials for "The Lion King 1 1/2" and think it looks good enough to actually purchase. It looks like they're putting a lot of care into it, using the same animation teams that work on features and re-hiring the original voice talent and all.
Old 01-29-04, 03:11 PM
Cool New Member

Any of these worth picking up if I don't have any of them? I would like to pick up the fantasia anthology set, are any of the others worth getting?
Old 01-29-04, 05:31 PM
Suspended

Sleeping Beauty is a truly great release. Besides breathtakingly beautiful restoration, the supplements on the second disc are really worthy.

The DTV sequels - eh, not so much.
Old 01-29-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know I need the Fantasia box, but the only other one I'm interested in is 101 Dalmations 2. I actually seem to recall it getting a few "ok" reviews. Is it worth the trouble to grab it? Or should I look for it used?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.