DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Oh my...Addiction (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/342895-oh-my-addiction.html)

AV6 J30A1 01-23-04 12:18 AM

Oh my...Addiction

I started my collection a little over a month ago with Pirates of the Caribbean being the first to my list. From my first DVD to now 48 DVDs, I am shocked and suprised at how much I have spent (Approx. $ 600 U.S.). I think I am addicted, somebody help me!!! I need off of this train! However I do enjoy collecting, its the money that is going down the hole that gets to me.

Well, enough about me. How much have you guys spent so far and when did you guys start? Just a rough approximation would be fine.

Corleone 01-23-04 12:19 AM

We are here to help you... really we are...

AV6 J30A1 01-23-04 12:20 AM

Wow you guys are fast!

Artman 01-23-04 12:38 AM

Wow 48 in five wks eh?! Pace yourself:)

I guess ive been collecting for five yrs now. I've got about 180. Spent about 2,500 (I counted up a few days ago) Pretty modest I know, but it works for me. In hindsight it actually isnt too bad - three dvds and $42 a month.

Thankfully i'm pretty much caught up on old releases so it should just be new stuff from here on out. (money and space are hoping so...)

AV6 J30A1 01-23-04 12:45 AM

48 in 5 weeks is really quick. Thats an average of 1.4 DVDs a day...oh my...not good. 1/2 of the DVDs I have are movies that I've enjoyed, some are blind buys, but most of the money goes towards the Nightmare on Elm Street Collector's Set and the Alien's Collector's set. My wish list consists of another 50 DVDs that I want, I think after that my purchases will definiately slow down to probably 1 or 2 a month at max.

sdk 01-23-04 01:01 AM

when i first startet collecting was about 1 and a half year ago. i now have around 700 dvds. And i bough most of the at the beggining of my collection habbit. it does slow down, but i still buy around 6 or 7 new dvds per month. it does depend on what comes out. but the best way to stop buying this many dvds is to lay of the forums. it was only after i discovered a norweagian forum that my collection skyrocketed. And dont oyus you credit card online. i used play.com a lot, and they store you credit card info. And one time i bought 70 dvds at once. thankfully i can afford it but still

vivarey 01-23-04 01:05 AM

Ah yes... the early days. Seems pretty overwhelming, I'm sure. Just stick to your favs at first, rank order, pace yourself, stay on top of new releases, and you should be all set. :)

HistoryProf 01-23-04 01:57 AM

My wish list consists of another 50 DVDs that I want, I think after that my purchases will definiately slow down to probably 1 or 2 a month at max.
:lol: rotfl :lol:

you just keep telling yourself that....let's see, when i had around 150 dvds, my wishlist was around 100.....i now have 325 a year and a half later and my wishlist is around 135 titles....i haven't been able to get it below 125 in over a year....and I keep buying the damned things......welcome to the club :)

DarthVong 01-23-04 06:05 AM

Another successful assimulation. :)

LasVegasMichael 01-23-04 06:16 AM

I have about 257, with about 20 on order (CH & DDD).

I was like you for a while (well not 48 in a month, but about one a day for a while).

Regarding cash, Just remember, the $5.88 bin at WalMart is your friend.

Good luck!

--LVM

steebo777 01-23-04 06:27 AM

Originally posted by LasVegasMichael
Regarding cash, Just remember, the $5.88 bin at WalMart is your friend.
And don't forget about Columbia House. CH is the reason why I'm kickin it around 380 right now, with about 16 on order, and my wishlist still won't go below 100. :)

TomOpus 01-23-04 07:12 AM

Welcome to the forum :wave:.... you've come to the right place. Once you learn the search function, you'll notice many threads regarding buying habits, so you're in good company here.

Like any addiction, it can become a problem. Sounds like you've started with a bang but once you get a good "base collection" your buying will start to plateau... well, there are some serious collectors who buy DVDs like a battery bunny :)

REL77 01-23-04 07:19 AM

The first rule of DVD Addiction is to not talk about the DVD Addiction. :)

Acid_Bath2 01-23-04 07:28 AM

Well I'm one of the worst case DVD collectors I currently have 1065 with no end in sight. So many old movies that I want and so many new ones coming out and I cant keep up with my wishlist which currently only has 85 or so titles on it. I buy dvd's like mad and I can't or won't be stopped MUHAHAHAHAHA. Good luck friend

Yakuza Bengoshi 01-23-04 08:36 AM

Welcome AV6 J30A1.

I think you're purchasing is right in line with a large percentage of the DVDTalk membership. Definitely check out the DVD Clubs forum for info on Columbia House. It's a great means of getting DVDs released by the major US studios inexpensively.

Having a huge DVD library/collection can be a lot of fun, but I'd also recommend doing a free two-week trial membership at Netflix to see how you like it. Especially if you're using interested in checking out independent and foreign titles. I wish I'd have signed up sooner -- I'd probably have a couple hundred less titles in my collection now if I had.

bboisvert 01-23-04 08:41 AM

Originally posted by AV6 J30A1
I think I am addicted, somebody help me!!! I need off of this train!
Asking a DVD forum to help you stop buying DVDs is like asking your bartender to help with your alcoholism.

... but welcome to the forum! ;)

Me007gold 01-23-04 08:44 AM

welcome to the club, welcome to the obsession, word of advice, STAY AWAY FROM THE WALL-MART 5.50 BIN!!. its evil, every time iam in there its a least one or two dvds.. sicking! :-D

moviezzz 01-23-04 08:48 AM

First off, WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG??????? PIRATES only came out a few weeks ago. What were you doing for the past 5 years?

One thing you might want to consider at your pace, every few weeks, go through your collection and see if there are any titles you want to get rid of. Titles you know you won't watch often. You can sell them pretty easily on Amazon or Ebay or trade them in to a used store to get money for other DVDs you will want.

It is better to have a quality collection than to just have dozens of titles gathering dust.

SilverScreen 01-23-04 09:08 AM

There is no escape....

You do not understand the power of the dark side....

Resistance is futile...

Need I explain more?

In all seriousness, my opinion is this:

If it interferes with your future financial / personal goals enough to derail you from them then you definitely need to slowwww wayyyy down. If not, no sweat...

Pace yourself and make sure that the DVD's you buy are one's that are worth re-watching multiple times. If they aren't, don't buy them !

And....

Welcome to the forum :banana:

fnordboy 01-23-04 09:46 AM

Originally posted by AV6 J30A1
My wish list consists of another 50 DVDs that I want, I think after that my purchases will definiately slow down to probably 1 or 2 a month at max.
:lol:rotfl:lol:
How many times have I heard that?

Seriously though, I have been collecting since around '99 and now I am at 816 DVDs (according to DVDAf) and I have about 3 or 4 in shipment to me now. I started off very slow only 1 or 2 a month and it slowly built up speed. For awhile I was buying like crazy, but it does plateau after a bit.

Word of advice, start cataloging your DVD collection now, don't wait until you are in the several hundreds to do it, save yourself the trouble.

AV6 J30A1 01-23-04 09:51 AM

Originally posted by bboisvert
Asking a DVD forum to help you stop buying DVDs is like asking your bartender to help with your alcoholism.

... but welcome to the forum! ;)

LOL...Woops, that was a stupid request.

EPKJ 01-23-04 09:52 AM

Determine how much of your monthly income is disposable. Then determine what amount of that disposable income you are willing to spend on DVD's. Then only spend that amount every month. That works.

QuiGonJosh 01-23-04 12:20 PM

Oh hell I bought 48 in one week once! :D

BlackBeauty92 01-23-04 12:28 PM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Oh hell I bought 48 in one week once! :D
that, my friend, is a perfect example of Darkside's friend

first he was lost, then he get comfortable, now... he's hand in hand with the darkside

i love being in the dark :D

QuiGonJosh 01-23-04 12:31 PM

I dont get what the hell you just said...but it was very funny! :D