To those of you with home theaters

Old 01-23-04, 01:06 AM

To those of you with home theaters

Do you find yourself buying dvd's because you know it will sound good on your home theater.

Im guilty of that, sometimes I just love to hear stuff blow up good.
Old 01-23-04, 01:22 AM
Suspended

I buy movies that I like to watch. Most movies that go BOOM really loud suck really bad (or star Vin Diesel, same thing really).
Old 01-23-04, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes I will admit to being guilty of that I bought Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes for that reason...

Some others also but I grew to like them...
Old 01-23-04, 02:05 AM
sdk

I do have around ten superbit dvds. so i guess you cold call me guilty. i don't buy dvds usually because of explotions and such. but good audio and video are a big pluss. i did buy the matrix reloaded for that reason
Old 01-23-04, 05:59 AM

That is a big consideration for me.

Pushed me over the edge on the Scarface/FaF 2 pack. I figured even if FaF isn't very good, it's gonna be fun to watch by all accounts.

Plus it really increases the replay value. I've watched xXx (sorry Forum Troll) 3 times and I NEVER would have watched it more than once on a small screen without a surround sound setup. Yeah, the movie isn't very good, but it's fun to watch and listen to. Though I must admit the 2nd and 3rd times I never did get through the entire thing.

It's fun just to let it rip.

The older 4X3 movies I own that I really like I end up watching on the 17" LCD while I use the treadmill so I don't "waste" the time on the projector (I only get the time to watch a couple a week down in the basement).

Of course some of the old stuff with excellent transfers (Robin Hood, Citizen Kane, Casablanca) looks great on the 80" screen, but they really can't hold a candle to a good anamorphic transfer with a rocking DTS track.
Old 01-23-04, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Forum Troll
I buy movies that I like to watch.
^^ What he said.
Old 01-23-04, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I now only buy movies I like to watch, but in the beginning of collecting I bought some demo material movies. Some of those demo movies aren't very good, but they do the trick
Old 01-23-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I won't buy a movie strictly for sound/audio athletics. There are many good movies that are "reference quality" to choose from.
Old 01-23-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

No. But I know a ton of people on here own Godzilla only for that reason. Fess up people.
Old 01-23-04, 08:32 AM
Banned

if the movie sucks...I dont buy it...no matter how good it sounds...
Old 01-23-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Dave C
That is a big consideration for me.

The older 4X3 movies I own that I really like I end up watching on the 17" LCD while I use the treadmill so I don't "waste" the time on the projector (I only get the time to watch a couple a week down in the basement).

Of course some of the old stuff with excellent transfers (Robin Hood, Citizen Kane, Casablanca) looks great on the 80" screen, but they really can't hold a candle to a good anamorphic transfer with a rocking DTS track.
What kind of projector do you have? I've been contemplating getting either a hdtv widescreen tv or a projector. The only thing that scares me from a projector is the life of the bulbs and the cost to replace them. Your opinion on your model?
Old 01-23-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to admit, sometimes I do (i found myself buying SWAT because of this)
Old 01-23-04, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by basaro
What kind of projector do you have? I've been contemplating getting either a hdtv widescreen tv or a projector. The only thing that scares me from a projector is the life of the bulbs and the cost to replace them. Your opinion on your model?
Hi Basaro,

I've got an Infocus X1 with a Da-Lite High Power screen. It's 4:3 native and not full HD resolution.

You can get tons of info on it here:

http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq/

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=68

I've had it about a year so there may be other options available nowadays, but my brother just picked this up for $700 at bestbuy.

LOTs of caveats about using it as an everyday TV. It really looks best in a light controlled room (I've got it in the basment) and regular cable looks good but not great.

I took my cable box off it and just use it for DVD watching, for which it is absolutely fan-freakin tastic for the price. It kicks the crap out of watching them on a 51" wide screen TV.

I will be hooking an HDTV box to it as soon as Adelphia gets them in stock. By all accounts it looks great.

Bulbs are expensive (about 250-300 bucks I think) but they last 3-4,000 hours. That's a lot of movie watching.

I'm in Milford NH. PM me if you want to come by and take a look and get detailed info. I'm not a zealot so I think I can give you a pretty impartial view.
Old 01-23-04, 09:51 AM

I second the infocus X-1 I love mine and the picture is by far better than any wide screen TV I have seen at my local circuit city and for almost half the cost and twice the size. My screen is a 110" and Friends and family cannot get over the quality of the projector. Of course use progressive scan and the HDTV look fantastic on it though is is not ful 1080. It is a no brainer. By far the best value
Old 01-23-04, 10:00 AM

if the movie sucks...I dont buy it...no matter how good it sounds...
same same

I'm not trying to jack the thread but I've heard that line doublers are where the expense comes in on having a projection home entertainment based system, that they are necessary to get a real quality picture in addition to being very expensive. Could one of you folks comment on this...
Old 01-23-04, 10:36 AM

The great Michael Corvin wrote:
No. But I know a ton of people on here own Godzilla only for that reason. Fess up people.
I watch Godzilla movies for the fine acting, drama, pathos and because they blow-up real GOOD!
Old 01-23-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only buy movies that I want to watch and rewatch again. If it happens to be an awesome sounding audio track then that's just icing on the cake.
Old 01-23-04, 11:02 AM

Have never done this, and never will, though I did rent both Star Wars Episode 1 & 2, at a few bucks each, to hear what the fuss was all about relating to sound..and true enough sounded great on my system...

Cheers
Old 01-23-04, 11:16 AM
Suspended

I only did it once and I sorely regret it. It was Disney's Atlantis, a piece of racist, sexist, gory trash if there ever was one, and all because I wanted to flex my DTS system. Oh, the shame!

Last edited by baracine; 01-24-04 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-23-04, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by SilverScreen
same same

I'm not trying to jack the thread but I've heard that line doublers are where the expense comes in on having a projection home entertainment based system, that they are necessary to get a real quality picture in addition to being very expensive. Could one of you folks comment on this...
You have been misinformed. Do yourself a favor and research front projectors at projectorcentral.com. Also read the threads at avsforum (especially in the digital front projectors MSRP <$3.5K area). I have a Panasonic PT-L200U FP and paid less for it than my friend's 36" Sony Wega. DVDs and HDTV are stunning. All the entry level (~$1K) PJs do a fine job, no line doubler required.

ps. - If your DVD collection includes such "classics" as Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, The Fast and the Furious, Road House and Kingpin, you might want to rethink that "I only buy quality" mantra.

Last edited by BMAG; 01-23-04 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-23-04, 01:32 PM

I purchased Blade II for that reason but I ended up liking the movie.
Old 01-23-04, 01:52 PM

I must admit that I do buy some DVDs to show off my system even though the movie is mediocre at best. Great Visual and/or Audio presentations sometimes overwhelms average movies.
Old 01-23-04, 01:56 PM
Retired

Just the first month or so when I first got surround sound. I'm into movies much more than the home theater stuff, so I just buy movies I like and will watch repeatedly 99% of the time.
Old 01-23-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Actually I own it cos it's good cheesey fun despite not being old school Godzilla.

Wish they'd remaster it, though. The audio's fine (though an update would not be unwelcome if it could substantially improve an already great sound mix) but the video isn't looking too good these days. But with the lightning bolt hitting the WTC and mention of the WTC I think Columbia/Tristar might be hesitant to even consider a re-release.
Old 01-23-04, 04:29 PM

I do that sometimes. I've bought DVDs like Windtalkers and Super Speedway simply because I like the audio track.

But then again, I've bought DVDs like Glengarry Glen Ross (100% dialogue) simply because it was a fabulous movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.