Better AIRPORT transfer in terminal pack?

Old 01-22-04, 05:30 PM

Better AIRPORT transfer in terminal pack?

I always thought AIRPORT [1970] was by far the best of the AIRPORT films. I saw it when it first came out in TODD-AO at the Radio City Music Hall while I was on vacation in New York City. The current widescreen dvd is not too bad (sound is not that good) and with an aspect ratio of 2:35. I was wondering if this new version from Universal might be a better transfer. Also would be nice to see it in its original 2:20 TODD-AO aspect ratio.(I doubt we will see that)
Old 01-22-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I SERIOUSLY doubt it.

It looks like the powers that be decided that the individual films sold separately didn't sell that great, so maybe combining them would do the trick.

Although I don't think it will be a worse transfer, I don't think it will be any better. Remember that they are turning four bargain DVDs and making it into a two disc mega-bargain set.

Espect the worst and hope for the best is my philosophy when it comes to these types of releases.

--LVM
Old 01-22-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Goodtimes DVD did have a pretty nice anamorphic widescreen transfer. Probably could be better, but not a lot.
Old 01-23-04, 01:54 AM
Banned

Release dates?!!
Old 01-23-04, 02:57 AM

February 10.
Old 01-23-04, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by shill66
The Goodtimes DVD did have a pretty nice anamorphic widescreen transfer. Probably could be better, but not a lot.
I agree. Haven't watched it in a little while, but I recall being impressed with it. Now if only they could fix up Earthquake. That thing looks like a piece of crap with shimmering all over the place.
Old 01-23-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by John-In-VA
Now if only they could fix up Earthquake.
My dream come true would be 2 Disc SE's of:

Airport
The Towering Inferno
The Poseidon Adventure
Earthquake
The Towering Inferno
Meteor
The Hindenburg

(in order of most preferred).

Gotta love 70s Disaster!

--LVM

Edited to add The Poseidon Adventure. I knew I was forgetting one!

Last edited by LasVegasMichael; 01-23-04 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-23-04, 08:13 AM

I agree that the Goodtimes anamorphic widescreen transfer was surprisingly good for the $6/$7 I paid for it. DVDFile.com reported on 10/28 that all the films feature "new anamorphic widescreen transfers" so we may see some improvement. I also believe I read somewhere that the original Airport would have a new DD 5.1 and DTS tracks while the rest of the films will be mono. Can anyone else confirm this? I would have loved to have seen some extras on this set but apparently there are none.

P.S. - I also would love to see a loaded, anamorphic widescreen SE of The Towering Inferno (and The Poseidon Adventure) but in a recent HTF chat with Fox Studios it was revealed that there are some rights issues which prevent them from working on them at this point
Old 01-23-04, 12:03 PM

Y'all missed another classic cheezy disaster movie from the 70s in need of a remaster, The Cassandra Crossing. . . terrible discs of that at every turn . . .
Old 01-23-04, 12:19 PM

and one more thing. . . the TV cut of airport 77 would be nice. added quite a bit of footage to pad it out to a 3 hour time slot iirc.
Old 01-23-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Initially it was a 4 hour slot for AIRPORT 77! NBC aired that version at least twice, and then later reran it in a shorter version.

The longer 4 hour version ran several times on TBS in the 90's as well. I wish it was going to be on the DVD, but no luck.

AIRPORT 79 had an expanded ABC version as well, but just a few minutes were added; nothing like the huge amount of footage added to 77.
Old 01-23-04, 09:09 PM

Yes...the TV variant of "Airport '77" would be a plus. However, *without* the hideous dubbed-over cursing segments. Those were just awful.

"You miserable son of a bull!"

I assume, if we ever did get a "TV cut" of the film, the original cursing and invective would be placed back into the script, intact. Correct?
Old 02-16-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so, does anybody have any first hand experience with this box set?
how's the transfer ?

thanx
Old 02-16-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Airport was digitally restored by Cinesite a few years ago, so the transfer ought to be pretty good on the set.
Old 02-16-04, 10:03 PM

Airport the film may have been restored, but Airport the DVD is the same transfer as was used for the Goodtimes DVD. Not bad, but not nearly as good as it could be and should be.
Old 02-17-04, 11:15 PM

Airport the film may have been restored, but Airport the DVD is the same transfer as was used for the Goodtimes DVD. Not bad, but not nearly as good as it could be and should be.
What could possibly have made it any better? (Save a HD transfer.)
This new "Terminal Pack" edition looks great IMO. Nearly flawless to my orbs. Pretty robust 5.1 DD track too.

Last edited by davidvp; 02-17-04 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-19-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They say the transfer of the Goodtimes and Universal discs are the same. To my eyes, the Universal release actually looks a tad softer... but it's probably just an illusion. I may look again.

Also another bit of info: Airport is dual-layer, the other three are single-layer.