Can't wait!
Old 04-02-04, 09:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOOT!!!
Old 04-02-04, 10:12 PM
Suspended

Gonna wait for them to release the HD-DVD or Blu-Ray version of the complete series, just like Friends.
Old 04-03-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts
About Season 1 being censored, there are a few of us that will swear on a stack of bibles that there was a Michael Jackson joke cut from Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride. 99% of everybody else thinks we're just filling it in like the Biggs scenes in Star Wars, but I'm a huge Star Wars fan and I don't do that, so I don't think I'm doing it for South Park. But, I can't prove the joke was there, even though the part of the episode where it would be is cut kind of odd.

We may never know, even Matt and Trey may have erased it from their memories by now.
Old 04-03-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 494 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom
About Season 1 being censored, there are a few of us that will swear on a stack of bibles that there was a Michael Jackson joke cut from Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride. 99% of everybody else thinks we're just filling it in like the Biggs scenes in Star Wars, but I'm a huge Star Wars fan and I don't do that, so I don't think I'm doing it for South Park. But, I can't prove the joke was there, even though the part of the episode where it would be is cut kind of odd.

We may never know, even Matt and Trey may have erased it from their memories by now.
I have the episode from the original airing on tape and the joke appears exactly as it does on the DVD. There was never any mention of Michael Jackson's name.
Old 04-03-04, 11:56 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by MasterCXtreme
Are you talking about the Uncut Version of the Pilot? It's a free disc that came with Season 2 at some stores. As far as I know, you can only find it on eBay. It's a cool extra, if you can find it, it's a good thing to have for a fan of the show.
no i was talking about the disc that comedy central was giving out if u send in some form for season 1. there was a link to it on the comedy central site. but i also didn't know there was a uncut version of the pilot eps bb was giving out also. man i want that now too
Old 04-03-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cloudspear
no i was talking about the disc that comedy central was giving out if u send in some form for season 1. there was a link to it on the comedy central site. but i also didn't know there was a uncut version of the pilot eps bb was giving out also. man i want that now too
What Comedy Central was giving away was a Five CD-Disc set of full length audio commentaries for all of the First Season episodes. I believe you can only find those on eBay as well.
Old 04-03-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Max Bottomtime
I have the episode from the original airing on tape and the joke appears exactly as it does on the DVD. There was never any mention of Michael Jackson's name.
As I said, I can't prove it, and about a billion other people have proved it otherwise. But I just can't shake the feeling that I saw a version somewhere with a Michael Jackson joke It will probably haunt me to my dying days, but there's not much I can do about it. My memory really focuses around seeing it on one of the single disc volumes they put out back in the day, and I've sold those off for the season sets. My only hope would be to track down every copy of that DVD in the world and check each till I'm proved right or wrong. But it's not that big of a deal, so I'm not.

It just doesn't sit right with me for some reason.

And those commentaries can be found on the net. Somebody gave me a link to a site that had them and I saved them all to my hard drive. I can't find the link now, but I'm pretty sure it was someone from this forum, so dig up some old SP threads and it might be there.
Old 04-21-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From tvshowsondvd.com:
Tomorrow will mark the 1-year anniversary of Viacom's purchase of the outstanding portion of Comedy Central, making them the sole owner of the network and its holdings. That deal sent South Park DVD releases to Viacom-owned Paramount for distrubution for the first time, leaving behind previous distributor Warner Brothers.

Still, Warner continued to sell off its copies of previously released DVDs, including box sets for the first two seasons. But now we have word from online e-tailer DVDEmpire.com, who reports that Paramount now takes control of retail sales for the earlier season sets.

On June 29th - the same day that South Park - The Complete 4th Season debuts - Paramount will begin selling The Complete 1st Season and The Complete 2nd Season. For those who have resisted buying South Park all this time, Paramount will also provide a Complete First Four Seasons package set. None of these have studio-provided suggested list prices, but you can expect to pay around $40 for each of the individual season sets, and about $150 for the big multi-season compilation. DVDEmpire has all of these available for pre-order right now; just follow the provided links!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1413
Anyways, I'm not sure what this means about the previous releases. Maybe more extras, better video quality... maybe even just a different logo on the box; who knows. Just thought I'd post it.
Old 04-22-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe they'll fix the pops in the soundtrack for season one.
Old 04-22-04, 12:55 PM

Well since Paramount didn't have anything to do with the commentaries, I'm gonna have to go with no on that one Richard.
Old 04-22-04, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by ignition
Well since Paramount didn't have anything to do with the commentaries, I'm gonna have to go with no on that one Richard.
Uh, I think you need to reread his post since he talks about the pops in the soundtrack, not about the commentaries.
Old 04-22-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd venture a guess that the discs are identical, in slightly altered packaging...
Old 04-23-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Weren't the commentaries pulled just because of them ripping on Contact? (which I really liked, but Mr. Garrison's reaction was hysterical). If Paramount has the rights now, they might be able to release it with a disclaimer, or Matt and Trey might allow this one comment to be edited. I'd double dip on a season 1 set with the commentaries for sure.
Old 04-23-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm 99% sure that Parmount is simply going to be distributing the current sets as is as opposed to Warna Brothas. Nothing I've read suggests that they'll be changing them in any form or fashion. It'd be nice though..
Old 06-03-04, 11:16 AM
Cool New Member

What I'm curious is whether the Best Buy promotional material will be included in this set. Didn't the South Park pilot get packaged with the first season box set? Have they done that sort of promo with any other seasons since? Is there still a way to cash in on that offer do you know?

I think I'm gonna pick up this four-season pack, it'd be a great way to catch up... just wanted to know if I can expect any of those bonus discs to be included in there...anyone have any leads on that by any chance?
Old 06-03-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't the South Park pilot get packaged with the first season box set? Have they done that sort of promo with any other seasons since? Is there still a way to cash in on that offer do you know?
In order:
- No, it was the second season box set which came with the bonus disc. It was the unaired version of the first episode, with about seven minutes of footage which was cut and replaced with two other minutes.
- No, no others yet.
- Theoretically, they might still be on the shelves now. If memory serves, the disc was packaged in a white sleeve and just stuck in the shrink wrap, so you should be able to see if the box has it. (Though, obviously not if you buy the four seasons together.)

My guess would be that they won't package that disc with the new season 2 box because the bonus disc was done by WB through Best Buy ... but Paramount has done deals with Best Buy too, so it's possible. I wouldn't expect it.
Old 06-03-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Word going around is that Paramount is INCREASING the price $10 for Seasons 1 and 2.
Old 06-03-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
Word going around is that Paramount is INCREASING the price $10 for Seasons 1 and 2.
I heard this also.