Community
Search

Are TV DVD Sales really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are TV DVD Sales really that bad?

Aside from the many shows that have yet to be released, what is the deal with the studios that release season one, never to be heard from again.

I have been waiting for S2 from Law and Order, Larry Sanders, and S3 of NYPD Blue for what seems like an eternity (the formers moreso then the latter). NYPD BLue 3 was scheduled, and then indefinately postponed for additional torture.

I realize that the companies judge future seasons based on sales of the first, but would it be too much to at least just release bare bones editions (Like Saved by the Bell) just so the fans can build a true collection of their shows?

I find it hard to believe that television cataylsts like Larry Sanders and L&O has that small of a following.

--LVM
Old 01-21-04, 02:57 PM

Well, based on the fact that you can see a whole season of L&O on TNT in about three days, the general public probably didn't see the need to buy an expensive set.

I do agree, though. I'd like to see season 2+ of Once and Again and Mary Tyler Moore, but it doesn't look like those are happening either.
Old 01-21-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, perhaps it has to do with

a) the prohibitive cost. Why pay extra for something you can see rerun constantly on TV?

b) They're not very rewatchable. Don't get me wrong, they're good shows - just not the kind of stuff you watch over and over.

It's different with the cult followings, who'll watch The Simpsons and Highlander over and over, not much caring about what to pay for the pleasure...
Old 01-21-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Well the market is officially flooded. As for NYPD Blue, the last one just came out in late August. It has only been about 5 months.

Stargate started out at over a year between sets. We have just been spoiled as of late.
Old 01-21-04, 03:08 PM
Suspended

Last I heard...TV ON DVD was one of the hottest selling merchandise of the year.
Old 01-21-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Brak55
Well, based on the fact that you can see a whole season of L&O on TNT in about three days, the general public probably didn't see the need to buy an expensive set.
Although this is true, you could really say similar things about almost any syndicated series (i.e. NYPD Blue, ER, ILL, and others, but not to the extent of L&O, I realize).

I forgot about MTM. That is one of my wife's favorites. That one the company publicly stated that sales were softer then they had hoped, and thus are indefinately postponing future releases (from what I remember reading on tvondvd.com)

--LVM
Old 01-21-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I think the market is flooded, though. When i start seeing "My Big Fat Greek Life" and "Green Acres" TV on DVD sets, I know it's gotten out of control.

But where's "Manimal: The Complete Series," dammit?
Old 01-21-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Green Acres" is the second best TV series of all time.
Old 01-21-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want my Season 2 of Six Feet Under!! WTF?
Old 01-21-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gatsby
Last I heard...TV ON DVD was one of the hottest selling merchandise of the year.
That is what I thought. That is why the stopping after first season stuff is really annoying.

...NYPD Blue, the last one just came out in late August. It has only been about 5 months.
True, but 3 was scheduled for feb or march, and then pulled subsequently.

When I start seeing "My Big Fat Greek Life" and "Green Acres" TV on DVD sets, I know it's gotten out of control.
Although I don't think its gotton out of control (I am a big of of this DVD genre), I will agree with MBFGL. This was, hands down, the worst teleivsion show I have ever seen in my 26 years.

"Green Acres" is the second best TV series of all time.
The first? Lucy? Just wondering.

--LVM
Old 01-21-04, 03:38 PM

Yep, it seems to be driving the industry right now. But each show is a seperate case. If season one of a show doesn't sell why should a studio feel compelled to release more seasons which probably also won't sell?
Old 01-21-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Low RG
I want my Season 2 of Six Feet Under!! WTF?
It's coming, probably right before the start of the next season.
Old 01-21-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, "I Love Lucy", but it is right up there.

If I told you my #1, I'd never hear the end of it...

I saw a couple of "Greek Life's." It was bad, but not "Life With Lucy" bad or "Saved By the Bell" bad.
Old 01-21-04, 04:52 PM
kfa

Yes, Larry Sanders is the worst case for me as I never saw the series when it aired and it would be GREAT to watch it in order on DVD instead of attempting to catch it on TV; it appears we will NOT see the rest of this on DVD, however.
Old 01-21-04, 04:56 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These don't seem like something Joe Six Pack (that only buys a handful of movies a year, yet when added together make up a huge chunk of overall sales) would buy. Thus sales probably aren't stellear.
Old 01-21-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by kfa
Yes, Larry Sanders is the worst case for me as I never saw the series when it aired and it would be GREAT to watch it in order on DVD instead of attempting to catch it on TV; it appears we will NOT see the rest of this on DVD, however.
Exactly. Me neither. I had always heard about it, but did not have HBO.

They dropped the MSRP to $39.95 for season one (which is never a good sign), and like you said, it doesn't look like more season are coming.

--LVM
Old 01-21-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think, like a lot of things, you have to take them on a case by case basis.
Old 01-21-04, 07:02 PM
Suspended

I was speaking (writing) in general, not for any specific title...
Old 01-21-04, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by LasVegasMichael
Although this is true, you could really say similar things about almost any syndicated series (i.e. NYPD Blue, ER, ILL, and others, but not to the extent of L&O, I realize).

I forgot about MTM. That is one of my wife's favorites. That one the company publicly stated that sales were softer then they had hoped, and thus are indefinately postponing future releases (from what I remember reading on tvondvd.com)

--LVM
Even this isn't true to the extent of "Friends." At least L&O is limited to 1 channel now. Friends shows about 6-8 episodes daily. Yet there are nearly 6 (?) seasons of that.
Old 01-21-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For ever poor seller there has been a great seller ....

Don't forget that sales of Family Guy were SO good, that they actually caused the show to become uncancelled!
Old 01-21-04, 08:45 PM
Cool New Member

I just want the last two seasons of Once and Again.
Old 01-21-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought 'Law and Order' and have been waiting for Season Two now, for what seems like forever....

Disney is releasing 'Gargoyles' something I'd love to buy, but they apparently are just testing the waters and if it sells X amount of units then they'll consider further season sets. Doubt I pick it up, I hate being stuck with an incomplete set and I don't see that cartoon selling a lot.
Old 01-21-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
If the Transformers can get on DVD, then anything SHOULD be possible.
Old 01-21-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know why anyone would worry about subsequant seasons coming out IMMEDIATLY after the first. The Simpsons has been averaging a season every 13 months. I know that sales have been very good.

Patience is a virtue. I think that when people see things like Star Trek: DS9 coming out on what seems a monthly basis, they freak out if their favorite show isn't on that same schedule.
Old 01-21-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by madcougar
....they freak out if their favorite show isn't on that same schedule.
With regard to L&O and Larry Sanders,

L&O actually came with an insert that offered $10 off the purchase of L&O Two when it gets released in Spring 2003. L&O One came out on 10/15/02.

Larry Sanders came out on 02/26/02. That was almost two years ago now, with nothing being announced.

I don't expect it monthly like Star Trek, XF, and Friends, but I do expect it at some point.

Apparantly, these expectations are too high.

--LVM

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.