TV or Movie DVDs ?

Old 01-20-04, 09:07 PM

TV or Movie DVDs ?

I been picking up more TV season box sets of late which brings me to this question...

Which of the 2: TV DVDs or Movie DVDs have more of a repeat value to you?

I find myself more and more re-watching TV shows like Lost in Space, Dick Van Dyke Show, Star Trek:TNG, The Simpsons & Mary Tyler Moore. Maybe cause at 30/60 minutes for each show I can watch with ease and stop at anytime without having to sit to the end of a 2+ hour movie.
Old 01-20-04, 09:18 PM
Suspended

Movies. I can watch classics like Casablanca or The Maltese Falcon many times and not get tired of them.
Old 01-20-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Hullo
Movies. I can watch classics like Casablanca or The Maltese Falcon many times and not get tired of them.
I can say the same thing about the original Star Trek and Outer Limits TV shows. still...films over TV by far.
Old 01-20-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I re-watch movies more then tv, but I like the television box greatly, and own quite a few.

Larry Sanders, MWC, NYPDB, ER, L&O, & Cheers are my favorites (not into the ST or XF thing).

--LVM
Old 01-20-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Movies here. Have a few TV boxsets though: 24, X-Files, etc.
Old 01-20-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't collect much TV because of the expense and the urge to collect every season. Do agree it's easier to pop in a short TV show than a 2 hour movie. Tight now have Star Trek TOS, MASH and Friends.
Old 01-20-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With TV, more viewing time per title - but less replay value. It's a toss up.
Old 01-20-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can watch a movie DVD more often but I still enjoy the average TV show DVD much much more. I love having complete sets of shows I used to love and partial sets of shows I currently enjoy.

I love having blockbuster films on DVD but to look down and see an almost complete set of X-Files makes me very happy.

I have no movies on order right now but I do have the following TV shows coming soon:
Futurama Season 3
Friends Season 6
Friends Season 7
Angel Season 3
Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 6
The Critic: Complete Series
Cheers Season 2
Frasier Season 2
Old 01-20-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: TV or Movie DVDs ?

Originally posted by StrTrkker
Maybe cause at 30/60 minutes for each show I can watch with ease and stop at anytime without having to sit to the end of a 2+ hour movie.
One of the things I love about TV on DVD is without commercials the episodes are more like 22/44 minutes for each show, which make it a breeze to watch 2-3 episodes at a time.

My replay value for both is about the same though. Can't say I prefer one over the other, just depends what I feel like watching at the time.
Old 01-21-04, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I rewatch movies more. I don't know why, I just do.
Old 01-21-04, 08:17 AM

For repeat value, definitely television shows. Though I buy only movies on DVD that I will watch again and again, just probably not as often as the 30-min television shows.
Old 01-21-04, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Movies, but mostly because of the time factor. It takes me about a week to get through a tv show set while it takes only 2 hours or so to watch a movie.
Old 01-21-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I rewatch movies more.
Old 01-21-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It all tepends on my mood
Old 01-21-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Two years ago, I would have said movies... hands down.

But lately, I've been watching (and rewatching) a ton of TV shows. Probably because so many FANTASTIC shows have hit DVD lately (B5, Buffy, Star Trek: TNG/DS9, The Shield, Sopranos, Farscape, Family Guy, Outer Limits, etc. etc.)

I'm sure in a few years, after the current stream of fantastic shows runs dry, things will even out a bit.
Old 01-21-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to watch SG-1 on the Sci-Fi Channel every evening. Now that I have Season 1-5 (season 6 can't get here soon enough) I take my time. I have dropped the cable/dish and don't watch standard TV anymore, except for Angel and Enterprise. It's worth the money to me to get a show without commercials and the ability to watch at my own pace. With movies, I only buy Sci-Fi now, like LOTR or Underworld. I buy IMAX because I love to travel and learn while I sit in my media room . For 2003 and I'm sure 2004, series will take up most of my money.
Old 01-21-04, 02:17 PM

You can REwatch DVDs Guess I've been doing this all wrong Seriously w/ about 200 in my Netflix queue, 2 or so dozen unwatched DVD (not including a ton of special features/commentaries), and a dozen or so new ones coming in every month, I rarely have time to REwatch anything right now

To kind of address the question though it does seem like I'm buying more TV shows than movies these days.

Last edited by nemein; 01-21-04 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-21-04, 02:55 PM
Retired

I have no TV shows on DVD.

I just wouldn't watch them enough.
Old 01-21-04, 03:08 PM

movies
Old 01-21-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Movies, but I like owning few of the TV series too (Sopranos, Simpsons, Southpark).
Old 01-21-04, 03:37 PM

It's great to be able to buy my favorite shows on DVD.
No commercials
Excellent picture quality
Watch whenever I want
And I'm not paying for shows that I will never watch. What is the point in paying for 100+ channels if you only watch maybe 10 percent of the programming offered?
I think it is cheaper to buy the DVD.
Old 01-21-04, 03:48 PM

I tend to watch TV shows on DVD more often, because it is just easier to find a 45-minute block of time than it is to find 2 hours. I love movies on DVD and I probably have more of them, but I watch more TV on DVD. It takes me anywhere from one month to several months to get through one season of a TV show on DVD.

I also like the novel-like approach to TV on DVD. Each episode is like a chapter, and you can watch the show unfold night after night (instead of waiting a week or more between episodes on TV). Shows I watch this way: The Prisoner, Star Trek DS9, Babylon 5, Alias -- all shows that for the most part are not made up of stand-alone episodes. I find it is much more satisfying to watch them this way, and I think the viewer gets more of the nuances of a show this way.
Old 01-21-04, 04:26 PM

I have been focusing on TV Shows lately. I noticed I was really behind in the show collecting so I have been spending my money on that. I spend it by the season by season. I collect all the season 1's and once I have all of those seasons... I continue on with the season 2 dvds. I am almost done with the season 1 collection's for now. I just put in a order for Punk'd - Season 1,Jamie Kennedy - Season 1,Saved By The Bell - Seasons 1 and 2 and Buffy Season 1. All I have left to get is Roswell - Season 1 (which will be my next purchase on the release date, 27 days from now),Dark Angel Season 1,Angel Season 1 and Dark Angel Season 1. I have collected hours of great TV Shows, which to me is more valuable than movies.. right now... I collect a movie here and there but manly it is shows. I can't wait till I have caught up on everything. Whew!!!!!
Old 01-21-04, 04:47 PM

For me it's a matter of perception. TV just seems more disposable (for lack of a better word) than movies to me. With very few exceptions once I've seen a TV show I don't feel a need to see it again. I can watch my favorite movies over and over and never get bored. Of course there are exceptions but most TV shows aren't multi-layered enough to warrent multiple viewings.
Old 01-21-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I buy TV shows, but then I never rewatch them.

Take for example: I love 'The Dead Zone' bought season one and can't wait for season two. However, once I finished the box set up of season one, I have yet to put it in again. I think I burn myself out on it. I sometimes look at my collection, see tv shows like 'The Dead Zone', 'Smallville', 'The Honeymooners' and 'Law and Order' and wonder why exactly I bought them. They are just taking valuable shelf space up and trust me, when you hit around six hundred DVD's, you need every inch of shelf space.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.