The Hills Have Eyes - layer change question

Old 01-20-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Hills Have Eyes - layer change question

I was watching THHE last night I think I may have experenced a problem with my player or DVD. In the scene where Bobby tells his sister and her husband he is locked out, there appeared to be a layer change there. That is not uncommon, but it was paused longer than most layer changes. I rewound the scene and this time it froze even longer, and started to skip around. I took the DVD out, tried it on my X-Box, and it played fine at that scene, and then I tried it again on my DVD player and it played fine.

It is odd that a 90 minute movie has a layer change.

Do you think it was my player screwing up? Have you had something like this happen before?

Thanks
Old 01-20-04, 05:17 PM

yeah, i watched this movie 2 nights ago and the layer change happened right in the middle of an action scene, in fact, I think it cuts off some one yelling, i don't know if it was longer than your average change, it perhaps seems longer given that it creates a disjuncture in the action
Old 01-20-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup some of these studios like to put there layer changes in the worst possible sceen(think Scareface)layer changes are very weird,I will watch a movie and have a long pause during the layer change then I will watch it again and the layer change isnt nearly as bad as it was the last time I watched it.
Old 01-20-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

2 of my players had a very hard time with that layer change. my other players had no problem and very little pause. still...it's better than that awful change on Scarface.
Old 01-20-04, 09:58 PM

It has to have a layer change because the movie has massive amounts of audio tracks.
Old 01-20-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, I guess the disk is ok then. It is just odd that the pause for the layer change is longer than most others.

I really didn't take in consideration for the audio.