Community
Search

A small tidbit on Clerks 10th Anniversary DVD

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A small tidbit on Clerks 10th Anniversary DVD

I got this off View Askew I cut and pasted the relevant part.

The "Clerks X" DVD is coming along nicely. A new addition: the guys at Powerhouse
Animation are bringing "The Lost Scene" to life in the cartoon style. Hopefully, we'll be
recording the dialogue with Brian, Jeff, and Joey next week. If you've never read the story
(and shame on you if you haven't) it's still available at the Online Stash, I believe.

Nice to see a little news on this, even if small. I will double dip on this one for sure.
Old 01-19-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll double dip for an anamorphic transfer.
Old 01-19-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can you provide a little spoiler depth on that lost scene? I find the Askew sites very unmanageable and don't feel like digging for it, but it sounds interesting, especially if they attempt some true life animation over the Clerks series thing. Good time to dump my DVD though knowing this. Any plans for a limited theatrical rerelease? I've always wanted to see this with an audience.
Old 01-19-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very interesting!

I would double dip on this one as well.

With the commentary, deleted scenes, alternate ending already on the origina release, I will be very interested to see what more stuf is even possible. Plus, if it is anamorphic that would be a big plus as well, as stated above.

This was one of my first DVD purchases, back when it was running close to retail (and Mallrats was excessively high), and eBay was my number one place for purchases.

Thank goodness DVDs have evolved....

--LVM
Old 01-20-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I've been holding off on buying Clerks for a looooong time just for this release. I for one can't wait
Old 01-20-04, 07:52 AM
Banned

Can Not Wait!
Old 01-20-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
Can you provide a little spoiler depth on that lost scene? I find the Askew sites very unmanageable and don't feel like digging for it, but it sounds interesting, especially if they attempt some true life animation over the Clerks series thing. Good time to dump my DVD though knowing this. Any plans for a limited theatrical rerelease? I've always wanted to see this with an audience.
I can't remember specifics, but it showed
Spoiler:
Dante and Randal and what happened at Julie Dwyer's funeral that caused them to be chased from the funeral home.
Old 01-20-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still holding onto my old DVD until the theatrical version and old commentary are confirmed for the new one.
Old 01-20-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
I can't remember specifics, but it showed
Spoiler:
Dante and Randal and what happened at Julie Dwyer's funeral that caused them to be chased from the funeral home.
Yeah thats about it. It was pretty good though. They run into Alyssa Jones (Joey Lauren Adams) so that should be fun to see.

Originally posted by PixyJunket
I'm still holding onto my old DVD until the theatrical version and old commentary are confirmed for the new one.
Same here. I'm willing to bet there is a new commentary recorded for the new disc, but that doesn't mean the old one won't be included as well. Either way I'm keeping my old disc even if the new one has everything the old one does. I payed too much for it this disc used to cost almost $40.00 at Best Buy
Old 01-20-04, 09:43 AM

The 3 hour behind the scene making of "Jay and Silent Bob strike back" entitled, "Oh, what a lovely tea party", that is going to be including is more than worth it to double dip...
Old 01-20-04, 10:04 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

this is great news. The lost scene was hilarious. I laughed till I cried while reading the comic. It does infact tell of what really happened when Randal and Dante got kicked out of the church. It includes groping a dead corpse

It's hilarious though. Would have Fit right in with the rest of the film.
Old 01-20-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Old 01-20-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard that Smith was gonna get rid of the grain, since, this new print is gonna be mastered from the original 16mm film, and not the original 35mm blown up version that created lots of unwanted grain.
Old 01-20-04, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I heard that Smith was gonna get rid of the grain, since, this new print is gonna be mastered from the original 16mm film, and not the original 35mm blown up version that created lots of unwanted grain.
If this is true - then I could see the upgrade for an anamorphic copy. Otherwise, I don't see anamorphic really being a big advantage, because of all that grain.
Old 01-20-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll be double dipping on this one
Old 01-20-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why would there be a new cut of the film? What would lead you to expect that there would be? They're specifically animated the "lost scene", I doubt the film will suddenly go animated for three to five minutes, anymore than the 'Flying Car' short from Leno will be integrated into the movie itself.

Several weeks after my collection was stolen (about eight months ago), I was figuring out which discs to re-buy vs. which discs to wait on, so I E-mailed Kevin and asked him whether the 10th Anniversary disc would have every single thing which was on the original, including the original commentary track (along with the new one), and he confirmed that everything from the old one would be on the new one. But since he's also confirmed the commentary thing numerous times on his website, and never said anything about a new cut at all, I assume that you're awaiting the official announcement as confirmation. (I would wait, since I know that there is often a difference between artists' intention and their output, but I would say that Kevin knows how DVD fans are and would do what he could to make sure that people who have the old will still get something out of the new and that people who don't yet have the old won't need it because of the new... but, since I don't have the old one anymore, I'm just waiting for the new one either way.)
Old 01-20-04, 01:11 PM
Banned

I dont think it will have a new cut...as Kev really liked the theatrical cut...
Old 01-20-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always heard the 10th anv. DVD would have a new cut with footage never seen before.
Old 01-20-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
I've always heard the 10th anv. DVD would have a new cut with footage never seen before.
That's what I've heard about it, too, since talk of the 10th Anniversary disc first began.
Old 01-20-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just cut out my whole post, because I was totally wrong. I found, on News Askew, this (from November of 2001):

"And speaking of that Clerks SE: "It's just going to have the three to four hour documentary, a new, extra-long cut of the flick that's digitially restored with footage never before seen, and a new commentary track with ALL the leads (Brian, Jeff, Marilyn, Lisa, Mewes, Mosier, and me). The disc is still two years away, mind you.". The disc will be released in 2004 to celebrate the film's 10th anniversary, so don't put those pre-orders in just yet."

[Note that some of that info is known to be out of date (specifically, it's got more than "just" the 'Strike Back' doc). And the release date seems to be October 2004.]

However, I did E-mail Kevin prior to finding this nugget on there, so I may hear back from him about it soon, regardless. If so, I'll update this post (again).

Last edited by ThatGuamGuy; 01-20-04 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-20-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I knew I'd buy this again no matter the extras. I might even wait and get this from Kevin's online store so I can get it signed.

I've been craving this since visiting a number of sites used in the movies. I have no idea how they worked in a convenience store than small.
Old 01-20-04, 06:49 PM

Thank you Jesus, this is so worth a double dip
Old 01-20-04, 07:08 PM
Banned

There will be an option to watch the animated "Lost Scene" branched into the movie. It actually differs from how Dante and Randal describe it outside the Quick Stop in the movie. Smith cut the scene since he wasn't able to secure an interior location. He changed the incidents of the funeral from:

Spoiler:
Randal dropping the keys in Julie Dwyer's pants and Dante having to reach into her pants to recover them

to simply having Randal lean on the casket, tipping it over. Smith revisited the scene in a comic book but he added the character of Alyssa Jones (who is actually mentioned in "Clerks" but wasn't initially in "The Lost Scene") and some "Mallrats" references.
Old 01-20-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to buy this one 37 times....

seriously, my Canadian copy of Clerks doesn't play too well these days (thanks a lot you freakin' hosers!), so I will happily double dip on this one.
Old 01-20-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With that new information, a double dip is certainly in order.

--LVM

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.