Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

A small tidbit on Clerks 10th Anniversary DVD

A small tidbit on Clerks 10th Anniversary DVD

Old 01-20-04, 10:30 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I wonder what ever happened to Clerks : The animated Movie?
Old 01-20-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by GizmoDVD
My random guess would be that it was out of the picture once the Clerks cartoon tanked on ABC.

I am more concerned with what happed to Fletch Won. The last I heard was that they couldn't get Chevy Chase, and they were going with Jason Lee, but that was well over a year ago.

--LVM
Old 01-21-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Got this from News Askew

Q: When should we expect the Clerks animated movie? Will it go to theaters or not?
A: Mosier and I were talking about doing them as a series of straight-to-video flicks. Like one a year.

I think that direct to DVD would be more profitable. The real question is WHEN?
Old 01-21-04, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there was a test trailer with jay fighting vader ala empire strikes back on viewaskew not to far back.
Old 01-21-04, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by madcougar
I'm going to buy this one 37 times....

37, YOU BOUGHT 37 COPIES?
In a row?
Old 01-21-04, 06:43 AM
Banned

3-4 hour documentary?
Old 01-21-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My random guess would be that it was out of the picture once the Clerks cartoon tanked on ABC.
No, wrong, 'Clerks: The Animated Movie' was being developed specifically because it was no longer a show on TV.

I am more concerned with what happed to Fletch Won. The last I heard was that they couldn't get Chevy Chase, and they were going with Jason Lee, but that was well over a year ago.
Not true, Chase was never supposed to play Fletch in 'Fletch Won', as the book 'Fletch Won' is a prequel (by at least a decade) to the 'Fletch' book which was adapted starring Chase. Chase was approached to do a cameo and initially said yes but later passed and began bad-mouthing the project publicly.

And Harvey Weinstein won't let Lee be cast as Fletch, apparently.

3-4 hour documentary?
Josh, my understanding is this was shot on the set of 'Strike Back' as a sort-of retrospective of the five View Askew films, but they didn't edit it in time for that DVD (or possibly that DVD was too packed).
Old 01-21-04, 10:37 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Awesome - sounds like a great disc!
Old 01-21-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
No, wrong, 'Clerks: The Animated Movie' was being developed specifically because it was no longer a show on TV.

Not true, Chase was never supposed to play Fletch in 'Fletch Won', as the book 'Fletch Won' is a prequel (by at least a decade) to the 'Fletch' book which was adapted starring Chase. Chase was approached to do a cameo and initially said yes but later passed and began bad-mouthing the project publicly.

And Harvey Weinstein won't let Lee be cast as Fletch, apparently.

Josh, my understanding is this was shot on the set of 'Strike Back' as a sort-of retrospective of the five View Askew films, but they didn't edit it in time for that DVD (or possibly that DVD was too packed).
Correct on all accounts. Smith at one point threw out a bunch of names that he would like to see for the part, although it seemed to be sarcastic because most of the stars were big names, like Brad Pitt.

more info on Fletch Won
Old 01-21-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Smith at one point threw out a bunch of names that he would like to see for the part, although it seemed to be sarcastic because most of the stars were big names, like Brad Pitt.
It was one of those things where it was tough to tell because, on the one hand, it was clearly put together as a response to the fact that Weinstein didn't think Lee was bankable enough but, on the other hand, every person on the list could play an interesting Fletch, other than probably Pitt (even he could do it, and might be interesting, but I remember thinking he was the worst of the bunch). Also, Kevin answered specific questions about most of them on his website at the time (though, off-hand, all I remember is that Weinstein was apparently interested in Jimmy Fallon because Fallon hadn't been tested yet, where [by movie boss logic] Jason Lee failed his "tests", which were 'A Guy Thing' and 'Stealing Harvard' and whatnot, so Fallon is unproven where Lee is proven -- but proven-bad).

Oh, and Lee said he wasn't interested anymore, but that may well have been one of those things where he just got used to and accepted the idea that he wasn't gonna get it.

Now, if you want my theory (just so you know, this is absolutely not based on anything, it's pure speculation), I'm guessing that they're holding back on starting 'Fletch Won' to see how 'Jersey Girl' does. If 'Jersey Girl' does really, really well (as it ought to, and will if its given a fair chance and not killed in advance by gossip), it might [but only might] be easier to get Weinstein to buckle on the casting of Lee. Maybe that's not even a theory, maybe it's just wishful thinking.
Old 01-21-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very interesting information.

Thanks everyone!

--LVM
Old 01-21-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
Jason Lee failed his "tests", which were 'A Guy Thing' and 'Stealing Harvard' and whatnot,
That is a biased testing system of course considering the movies were awful and more than likely a star leading man couldn't carry them.
Old 01-21-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
The disc sounds awesome. I just can't belive it has been 10 years. I am getting old.
Old 01-21-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is a biased testing system of course considering the movies were awful and more than likely a star leading man couldn't carry them.
Oh, absolutely; I meant that to be implied within the way I said it. I didn't see 'A Guy Thing', and I did watch some of 'Stealing Harvard' ... enough to know Lee was totally wrong for the lead, regardless of the film's quality (thing is, I got a few good chuckles out of it before the scene where Lee is in drag which was so bad I couldn't watch the rest of the movie at that point). I see why he did it, Bruce McCulloch was the funniest kid in the hall (though this was strike three as far as filmmaking goes, I think), Tom Green's cool...

But, yeah, it's not a fair test. Although I suppose the point is, if he were a star, they would've opened better regardless of quality (which actually makes me wary of what Weinstein thinks 'Fletch' will be... or would if I weren't a fan of both the book and Smith himself).

I don't see how anybody could read that book and *not* want Lee in the lead...

The disc sounds awesome.
Yeah, and nobody's even mentioned the old MTV shorts yet, right? Those are on there too. (Possibly a doc of a fan gathering which was shot back in '98 or '99 too, not totally sure the deal on that ...) Also, I believe that all the really small cut footage which was on-line but not on the DVD will be on it, though I'm not totally sure of that. (It's the kind of stuff where I'll celebrate them for putting it on, being a completist, but wouldn't mind if they left off, seeing as I'm realistic enough to know I've seen them, most of it isn't even comedy stuff, so it's not integral to the disc, and I'd likely not even watch 'em once.)
Old 01-21-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by glassdragon
37, YOU BOUGHT 37 COPIES?
In a row?
Thank you my friend.
Old 01-21-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lee was the only good thing in A Guy Thing. I saw it cheap and picked it up only because I enjoy his work. I'll pass on the Fletch movie now that he isn't "allowed" to be cast in it. I disliked the old Fletch movie but I like Lee enough that him in the new film would of sold me right away.

If they plan a series of straight-to-DVD animated films I get a funny feeling we won't see too many. I'm sure sales would be decent on them but how long before they just get tired of making them and stick to real movies. I guess we'll see how Jersey Girl does first. If it tanks then all bets are off. I like Smith and his work but people are too stubborn and the Ben & J-Lo pairing will sadly keep some folks away from the film.
Old 01-22-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally posted by MasterofDVD
If they plan a series of straight-to-DVD animated films I get a funny feeling we won't see too many. I'm sure sales would be decent on them but how long before they just get tired of making them and stick to real movies.
well if that's the only way to get Jay & Bob, then do as many as they want.
Old 01-22-04, 03:56 AM

I've been holding off on Clerks for a long time-- secretly I had always hoped Criterion would do the film over, but this is nice I guess.
Old 01-22-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still holding onto my old DVD until the theatrical version and old commentary are confirmed for the new one.
Well, Kevin got back to me ...

"We're doing both. One version will be "Clerks" Classic, and the other will be New "Clerks", with the cut scenes cut back in."

Now somebody's probably gonna ask, "Does that mean two seperate releases or both on the same disc?", right? Well, I'm not sure of this, but I would read that to mean that both will be on the same disc (or, at least the same package; but if they could do it with the Alien movies, they can do it with the significantly shorter 'Clerks').

Hope that helps. I know I'll be buying it come October, much as I hate to encourage studios to double-dip.
Old 01-22-04, 11:25 AM

I keep forgetting about the MTV shorts, those were cool. That would be awesome if they had both cuts, maybe a little seemless branching is in order. Double dipping here is a no brainer.
Old 01-22-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I've held off on buying Clerks for quite some time, as its always been my least favorite of his movies. Nevertheless, i'll gladly pick up a 10th anniversary edition to complete the set
Old 01-22-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
I've held off on buying Clerks for quite some time, as its always been my least favorite of his movies. Nevertheless, i'll gladly pick up a 10th anniversary edition to complete the set
Just as a point of curiosity (since this opinion is really "against the grain"), if Clerks was your least favorite, what was your favorite? Dogma?

--LVM
Old 01-22-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Chasing Amy, then Dogma, Mallrats, Jay and Bob, and Clerks. And before someone mentions something about buying a movie you don't like, i didn't dislike Clerks. Just didn't like it as much as the others I've never seen any of the cartoons though... i should get around to buying the DVD since its only 10 bucks.
Old 01-22-04, 02:00 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Whatever happened to the long documentary that was supposed to be on the Dogma DVD? Has that ever seen the light of day?
Old 01-22-04, 02:39 PM

I think that was on the Vulgar DVD. I rented this but there's just something about a clown being anally raped that disturbs me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.