Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What DVDs would you reccommend for someone wanting to get into Robotech?

Old 01-19-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not a hugh Anime fan, but I've seen a few episodes of this show and I'd like to check them out. I understand there are a few different series, but wasn't there one that's considered "a classic"?

There are two I'm considering but I'm open to other suggestions. I know there is the Complete Macross Saga box set (do I need something this big and expensive?) and the forthcoming Robotech Remastered.

Advice / comments appreciated!
Old 01-19-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You want to start with Macross. It is first in the series and is considered the best in the series. Once you get started, you will want to push all the way through until the end.
Old 01-19-04, 03:30 PM
Suspended

Get the Macross boxed set. You'll be doing yourself a favor.

See, Robotech started out life as three completly seperate anime series that were edited, cut and re-arranged to make one long series in America. Imagine if you took the Old School Star Trek, Babylon 5 and Star Wars and tried to make them one cohearant storyline through dubbing and re-editing of the source material. That's the end result you get with the Robotech Masters and New Generation (or whatever the 3rd story arc is called).

Now, unlike some anime fans - I do realize that Robotech has it's place in anime history. I've got the discs on my shelf, in fact. But given a choice these days, I'd go Macross all the way.
Old 01-19-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well EK, I can't argue with that reccommendation . Thanks bro.
Old 01-19-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What El-Kabong said.
Old 01-19-04, 04:30 PM

It's worth noting that the original Macross is available as individual discs, and 3-disc sets, as well as in the complete 9-disc box set. You don't necessarily need to get it all at once.
Old 01-19-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get the Macross box set. It's worth the cost. Avoid the Robotech box set.
Old 01-19-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
D'oh... You missed it by one week... The Right Stuf had the Robotech boxes (7 in all) on sale for 9.99 each. These had 2 discs of episodes and a third disc of extras, and retail for about 30-40 dollars.

There are three different versions of this title (including the 3 unrelated Japanese shows that were combined into Robotech.)

1. The original Robotech Legacy discs from ADV (singles, box sets or bricks, 150 minutes per disc) consists of Macross Saga (boxes 1-3 or brick 1) Masters (boxes 4-5 or brick 2) and New Generation (boxes 6-7, or brick 3.) These are as they aired on US TV, and are probably the way many fans remember the show. These are only in English Dub, and edited greatly (as El-Kabong stated.)

2. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross from AnimEigo (single discs or box sets,) Genesis Climber Mospeada from ADV (in a brick,) and Southern Cross from ADV (also in a brick.) These are the original unrelated Japanese shows from which Robotech was made. These are only in Japanese language with subtitles, and are unedited. SDF Macross was extensively restored.

3. Robotech Remastered Editions from ADV (single discs, possible box set, 300 minutes per disc) ADV is remastering these discs, and adding footage back in that was cut for television sensibilities. These are only in English Dub, and are still edited.
Old 01-19-04, 09:03 PM

ADV used the cleaned up footage done by Animeigo on the Macross part of Robotech Remastered. So if you want to save money you can just get Robotech Remastered. You do lose out on the original Japanese soundtrack though.
Old 01-19-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But Robotech Remastered isn't the whole thing, right?
Old 01-19-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I say wait for the Robotech remastered. Eventually the whole series will be out on DVD, probably around December 2004. They cost the same as the original discs per episode. The entire series is great. I like Macross Saga the best, followed by New Generation, and then Masters.

I would not recommend the original Japanese Macross set to you. It is very expensive and since you are not a huge anime fan, you might be turned off by the fact that it is english subtitled with original Japanese dubbing only. Many prefer the purity of the Japanese version, but I grew up with Robotech and love it.

On a side note Robotech 2004 should be coming out this year and is supposed to be a continuation of the New Generation story. Check out Robotech.com for more info on everything talked about in this thread.

You might want to check out Starblazers. It is a very similar anime to Robotech that was first broadcast in America in the early 80's
Old 01-19-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't the Robotech Remasters just the first 1/3 of the Macross Saga? Are they planning on releasing the rest?
Old 01-19-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by wfujosh
Isn't the Robotech Remasters just the first 1/3 of the Macross Saga? Are they planning on releasing the rest?

Yes. The entire series will eventually be released. They will probably release new DVDs every month and a half or so. There will be 3 Macross Saga remastered releases and two each for the New Generation and Masters. They all should be out by the end of 2004, so you would have to be patient. If you decide to go with Robotech over the original Macross series, remastered is the only way to go.

Here are a couple of pictures displaying the change in picture quality, not to mention the fact that they will also be remastered in DD 5.1.

Last edited by Bcolon; 01-19-04 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-20-04, 02:57 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Get the uncut, original Macross from AnimEigo.
Old 01-20-04, 01:39 PM

I too am confused about Robotech Remasters. I found it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

What is on this Volume 1? How many episodes? Will there be a box of all Macross episodes?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rooked, I'm not the best person to answer this but culling everything posted here and on Amazon, Volume 1 seems to be Discs 1-3 of the Macross Saga, remastered with additional footage (but still missing some), better video and DD 5.1. There should be additional volumes to cover the remainder of the Robotech series (Vol. 2 and 3 should be the remainder of Macross).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-20-04, 08:11 PM

Vol 1 is 12 episodes (6 episodes per discs) so i'm guessing the Macross saga will be 3 volumes. $17.99 at DDD.

Here's another suggestion. If you want to get into Macross you should try to find a copy of Macross the movie. It pretty much takes 20 episodes of the TV series and condenses it into 2 hours. The animation quality is amazing and actually still holds up today.
Old 01-20-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't particularly *need* it condensed, I'd actually like to get into the storyline. I think I'm going to go with the Remasters (thank goodness for DDD!)
Old 01-20-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by wfujosh
I don't particularly *need* it condensed, I'd actually like to get into the storyline. I think I'm going to go with the Remasters (thank goodness for DDD!)
Which ones? The AnimEigo set is remastered as well.
Old 01-20-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
From what I understand, the Robotech Remastered will be 300 minutes, while the original Robotech discs were 150 minutes each. That should mean that 1 disc of Remastered will equal 1 box of the original (probably without the extras disc, though.)

I have heard that there will be 3 discs in Robotech Remastered Macross Saga, then 2 each for Robotech Masters Remastered, and Robotech New Generation Remastered. That is inline with the number of box sets.
Old 01-21-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Decided to go with the remasters. I thank everyone who gave their thoughts in this thead, I appreciate it.
Old 01-21-04, 02:04 PM
Suspended

Oh, there is one more factor to consider that nobody's mentioned yet - the currently released Robotech boxed sets (the un-remastered version) are the only way to get the bonus material. Each box has a disc full of old toy commericals, interviews and commentary, clips from conventions, old TV talk shows and so on. It's all kind of keen stuff - if you're into the behind-the-scenes thing. The new remastered discs wont have that material (and neither does the AnimEigo Macross set).

I dont know if that's enough to sway your decision one direction or another, but I thought I'd point it out.
Old 01-21-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info EK. I'm mostly looking to get my feet wet with Robotech. While the bonus material sounds peachy keen, considering I have not even seen more than 10 minutes of Robotech yet, for me, I'd be happiest with high quality audio and video and a (mostly) uncut presentation of the material.
Old 01-21-04, 10:26 PM

wait i'm still confused.

So Macross (Animego) is the original japanese series?

and Robotech is the recut American version?

and the new remastered ADV discs is Macross remastered?

oy, headache...
Old 01-22-04, 01:16 AM

Confusing isn't it so many Macross/Robotech boxsets it just makes your head spin just take your time and weigh your options carefully and oh yes EK recomendations don't hurt either I for one settled on the Animego's Macross boxset but that is just me.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.