DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Columbia price(widescreen) drops (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/342070-columbia-price-widescreen-drops.html)

Bacon 01-19-04 03:35 AM

Columbia price(widescreen) drops

from DVDfile.com

Rounding out today's news is a giant wave of price reductions of Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, who on March 23rd will reduce the prices of many of their biggest DVD catalog titles to as low as $9.95. Newly reduced to $14.95: Another You, Best of Ripley's Believe It or Not, Easy Rider, Fly Away Home, Glass House, Greatest 70's Cop Shows, Joe Dirt, Knight's Tale, Master of Disguise, My Girl, Seeing Double, Trapped and Troop Beverly Hills. And listing for only $9.95: Against All Odds, And Justice For All, Apt Pupil, Arlington Road, Baby Geniuses, Bats, Bear, Blind Date, Blue Thunder, Bugsy, Casualties of War, Charlie's Angels: Angels Under Cover, Crazy in Alabama, Drowning Mona, Fan, Glitter, Godzilla, Hanging Up, Hanover Street, Hush, Jawbreaker, Johnny Mnemonic, Kermit's Swamp Years, Last Action Hero, Mary Reilly, Mrs. Winterbourne, Muppets From Space, My Life, No Mercy, Peggy Sue Got Married, Perfect, Thomas and the Magic Railroad, To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday, Toy, The, Two Moon Junction and Who's Harry Crumb?. Note, however, that the savings comes at a cost - many of these titles, including Last Action Hero, Mrs. Winterbourne and Peggy Sue Got Married, will be "streamlined" to a full frame-only, single-layer disc, i.e., the widescreen side will be dropped. Columbia has also done this on some of their previous priced-reduced reissues, so pay close attention to the packaging before buying.

Yeah way to go Columbia,AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! I guess I'll have to run out and pick up the WS dsics before they're replaced with Foolscreen only.

:rolleyes: :mad: -ohbfrank-

WAY to push the FS format, IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cinephan 01-19-04 06:05 AM

I may buy Apt Pupil now. It's been disgracefully overpriced considering it's a barebones release.

DGibFen 01-19-04 07:57 AM

Good thing I picked up Arlington Road for cheap in the Wal-Mart bin a few months ago.

garolo 01-19-04 08:08 AM

I can just see the panic buying now. [ sarcasm ] "I guess I should run out now to get Master of Disguise in WS before it goes OOP because when you can't get the WS version anymore it might be worth something." [ /sarcasm ] Then again how much would a collector pay for an Edsel these days?

marty888 01-19-04 08:45 AM

Columbia/TriStar is fast becoming the company I love to hate. Not only do they have a high MSRP on many of their barebones catalogue titles, now this. (I guess the good news is that I have the titles on that list that I would want - the bad news is that I paid the higher prices.)

matome 01-19-04 10:04 AM

Columbia...going backwards.

Drexl 01-19-04 10:05 AM

So it's not just a Wal-Mart thing? I'm glad I picked up Peggy Sue Got Married for cheap just the other day because I thought the widescreen might get dropped.

abintra 01-19-04 10:14 AM

Pathetic. Sounds like the studios are starting to set up their catalogue so their HD-DVD releases have the added benefit of being OAR again.

Disney is starting to discontinue their widescreen editions based on the Disney thread and they have been very vocal for the last year or so saying how they wanted to make sure and milk the transition from dvd to hd-dvd for everything they can.

madcougar 01-19-04 10:19 AM

I guess overall this sucks (FS bad, WS good), however I IMHO, most of those titles suck anyway.

Rypro 525 01-19-04 11:49 AM

Originally posted by garolo
I can just see the panic buying now. [ sarcasm ] "I guess I should run out now to get Master of Disguise in WS before it goes OOP because when you can't get the WS version anymore it might be worth something." [ /sarcasm ] Then again how much would a collector pay for an Edsel these days?
this has never been released in widescreen anyways.