DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Do Laserdiscs have different formats..? NTSC/PAL (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/342029-do-laserdiscs-have-different-formats-ntsc-pal.html)

Rogue588 01-18-04 10:27 PM

Do Laserdiscs have different formats..? NTSC/PAL

A friend of mine was telling me that he was going to buy a PAL laserdisc, but he wasn't sure if his LD player would play it.

The word PAL apparently scared him away.

I didn't know so I couldn't give him an answer.

Anyone know?

movielib 01-18-04 10:38 PM

Yes, laserdiscs can formatted in NTSC or PAL and an American NTSC LD player will not play PAL discs.

Rogue588 01-18-04 10:51 PM

thanks movielib.

good thing I didn't tell him what I was thinking. I own a couple Prince LDs from Japan that play fine in my LD. I thought those might be PAL. I wasn't sure, so I didn't say anything.

JoeyOhhhh 01-18-04 10:59 PM

Japanese LDs are NTSC

Rogue588 01-18-04 11:04 PM

that would explain it :D

man, he woulda been pissed at me..

Pants 01-19-04 12:24 PM

If he'd bought it he would have needed a PAL laserdisc player and a PAL television to watch it on.

lcnickell 01-19-04 03:06 PM

k, this might be a dumb question, i only got into laserdiscs,after they were being phased out..

but were there any "region free"players out there for LD's?

bboisvert 01-19-04 03:17 PM

LDs do not have region coding.

The NTSC/PAL issue is not region coding... it has to do with different video formats being used in different areas of the world. These formats apply not only to LDs, but DVDs, VHS, and standard television broadcasts.

So, if you have a U.S. player, you can view any NTSC material (which is the standard used in North America, Japan, etc.)

If you want to view PAL material (Europe, etc.) you need both a PAL LD player and a TV that can receive the PAL signal. The same is true if you were looking to buy a PAL video tape.

Josh Z 01-20-04 12:50 PM

Originally posted by bboisvert
LDs do not have region coding.

The NTSC/PAL issue is not region coding... it has to do with different video formats being used in different areas of the world. These formats apply not only to LDs, but DVDs, VHS, and standard television broadcasts.

So, if you have a U.S. player, you can view any NTSC material (which is the standard used in North America, Japan, etc.)

If you want to view PAL material (Europe, etc.) you need both a PAL LD player and a TV that can receive the PAL signal. The same is true if you were looking to buy a PAL video tape.

One thing to add: The reason many people with "region free" DVD players are able to watch PAL discs on an American television is that these DVD players have PAL-to-NTSC conversion built in. No laserdisc player was ever built with PAL-to-NTSC conversion.

Rogue588 01-20-04 12:59 PM

Hey Josh, theoretically, would one be able to cap any content from a PAL LD player..?

Josh Z 01-22-04 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
Hey Josh, theoretically, would one be able to cap any content from a PAL LD player..?
A PAL LD player has to be connected to a PAL TV to work.