Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Has anybody seen The "Helen Of Troy" (1954) all-region DVD made in Hong Kong?

Has anybody seen The "Helen Of Troy" (1954) all-region DVD made in Hong Kong?

Old 01-18-04, 10:44 AM
Suspended

Has anybody seen The "Helen Of Troy" (1955) all-region DVD made in Taiwan

It's advertised on eBay for next to no money (around $5.00 starting price) as a Taiwan all-region DVD, no mention of anamorphics or sound system, except "Dolby Digital" ... Also offered as VCV/DVD.

Use the advanced search for completed items as it is not always on the roster (they go fast, I guess).

The artwork and extras are all suspiciously reminiscent of he OOP laserdisc edition...

Has anybody seen similar, probably bootleg, "advance" offerings from Asia and is the quality up to par?

Last edited by baracine; 01-18-04 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-18-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you're not in too much of a hurry, the film is being released on Region 1 DVD on April 27th (probably to coincide with the release of "Troy" in theaters). This is according to thedigitalbits.com; the info. can be found in their "Daily Column" dated 1/12.
Old 01-18-04, 01:55 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by flixtime
If you're not in too much of a hurry, the film is being released on Region 1 DVD on April 27th (probably to coincide with the release of "Troy" in theaters). This is according to thedigitalbits.com; the info. can be found in their "Daily Column" dated 1/12.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, flixtime! This is too much joy for me! Why is my left arm turning numbbbbbbbbb...

Seriously, for a minute, I thought you meant that "Helen of Troy" (1955) was also going to be re-released in theatres. But it's still stupendous news! Thanks again.
Old 01-18-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Glad to be of service!

I've never seen the film but I'm looking forward to it.

Now if someone would please release:

Sign of the Pagan
The Black Shield of Falworth
Taras Bulba
El Cid
The Fall of the Roman Empire
55 Days at Peking
Land of the Pharaohs

.........then I'd be very happy.
Old 01-18-04, 07:33 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by flixtime
El Cid
The Fall of the Roman Empire
55 Days at Peking
Amen to that!

I have El Cid and The Fall on laserdisc but the aliasing is driving me up the wall!

I'm also writing Rhino Handmade Records to suggest they put out an OST (original soundtrack) CD of Max Steiner's fine score for "Helen of Troy" to coincide with the DVD release since they already have an arrangement with the Brigham Young University's Max Steiner Collection which owns the rights to it and they've already published a fine OST CD of "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" by the same composer. This film score is only available on a very rare 1974 Elmer Bernstein partial re-recording on vinyl LP and a couple of bootleg CDs worth their weight in gold.

I doubt the DVD will have an isolated score track...

Last edited by baracine; 01-18-04 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-18-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LAND OF THE PHAROAHS -one of the truely great trash movies, with a very young Joan Collins at her evil best - and a screenplay co-written by William Faulkner!