DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Labyrinth SE vs. SB vs. CE? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/341881-labyrinth-se-vs-sb-vs-ce.html)

AOD 01-18-04 01:31 AM

Labyrinth SE vs. SB vs. CE?

Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting an copy of Labyrinth on DVD, But... There are 3 editions available now (or soon, Feb. 3rd). I found critical reviews for the SE and SB, but not for the CE (comparing all three). Does anyone have any info on the new CE? Is it really worth the HUGE price difference from the SE or SB. I don't really care about the photos and booklet included. I just want the picture and sound of the SB and the disc extras of the SE (why couldn't they just have done a SB deluxe?). So, is there anyone who got an advance copy for review anywhere? Just want to know if it's worth the extra loot for the CE. Also, any links comparing the three would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't find one on the net anywhere (through Google).

Mods, didn't know which forum to put this in because I am looking for a review and information on the disc itself. Feel free to move if needed.

AOD 01-18-04 06:40 PM

BUMP. 98 views with no replies. Someone's got to know.

DVD Josh 01-18-04 06:46 PM

My best advice to you is to purchase the SB and the CE and sell off the non-SB version of the movie. It's exactly what you want anyway.

Supermallet 01-18-04 06:55 PM

From what I can tell, the new CE will have a remastered print and a new sound mix. However, I highly doubt the quality of the picture and sound will top the SB. It does have the original featurette from the initial release, but it doesn't seem like there's any new interviews or anything. Most of the extras are physical. If you're a Labyrinth nut, like me, you'll get the SB and the CE, but if you just want the movie, get the SB. The making of featurette is something you watch once, it's not that incredible.

DonnachaOne 01-19-04 01:09 AM

Well, the Superbit's dts and dolby mixes are nearly identical - and I'm pretty picky with dts. Also, the Desperado Special Edition resissue used a transfer very, very, very similar to the Superbit's. I would think this Collector's Edition of Labyrinth would use the Superbit transfer (which was just a bitrate-hiked version of the regular one, if I recall correctly) and the same DD 5.1 mix.

Supermallet 01-19-04 04:56 AM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Well, the Superbit's dts and dolby mixes are nearly identical - and I'm pretty picky with dts. Also, the Desperado Special Edition resissue used a transfer very, very, very similar to the Superbit's. I would think this Collector's Edition of Labyrinth would use the Superbit transfer (which was just a bitrate-hiked version of the regular one, if I recall correctly) and the same DD 5.1 mix.
If that's true, then someone who mainly wants the movie would still want to go with the SB, since most of the extras in the CE are physical, and the set is priced up accordingly.