DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Is Monthy Python and the Holy Grail Collectors Edition worth buying? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/341776-monthy-python-holy-grail-collectors-edition-worth-buying.html)

rushmore223 01-17-04 01:02 PM

Is Monthy Python and the Holy Grail Collectors Edition worth buying?

I have the Criterion on Laserdisc, and I was wondeing, should I just copy my Laserdisc or should I buy the Boxed set for this. Looks like it has alot of stuff, not sure how much of it is just gag stuff though.

If you already have this, your recommendation or warning would be appreciated.

God: What are you doing now?
King Arthur: Averting our eyes, oh Lord.
God: Well, don't. It's just like those miserable psalms, always so depressing.
God: Every time I try to talk to someone it's "sorry this" and "forgive me that" and "I'm not worthy"...

LasVegasMichael 01-17-04 01:11 PM

I must admit that I am wondering the exact same thing.

I have NEVER seen the film, and have no idea what I am missing, except for the rave reviews that I have heard about it for the last 20 years. All I know is that the DVD tends to carry a hefty price tag, so I am unaware if it is worth it.

Thanks for posting this!

--LVM

joefrog91 01-17-04 01:49 PM

Well, I triple dipped on this movie. I have the original single disc DVD, the Special Edition 2 disc and now the Collector's Edition.

The only difference between the SE and the CE is the CE has a collectible film cel and a copy of the original screenplay. It also comes in book like cover. I haven't unwrapped it yet, so I can't tell you if the picture and sound quality is any better.

There's also a sticker on the wrapping that says, "Includes the real Holy Grail (not really, just some cool stuff).

speedy1961 01-17-04 02:45 PM

Just buy the SE and you'll be happy. The picture quality of the book edition is the same as the SE.

Hubcap 01-17-04 02:48 PM

Its a pretty funny movie, i would say its worth having in your collection.

LasVegasMichael 01-17-04 04:49 PM

'Nuff said.

I had a little extra moolah, so I picked it up at Costco today for $34.99 (CE). That was probably the most I have paid for a single film (exluding TV season sets and Oceans Eleven CE).

Haven't checked it out yet, but strongly looking forward to it!

Thanks everyone!

--LVM

starseed 01-17-04 05:52 PM

The SE and CE, as has been mentioned, have the same content on the discs, just different packaging. The CE contains a film cell and the film's screenplay. I own the CE and while I'm satisfied with it, I'll admit it's not quite worth the extra money. Also, the packaging is terrible. There is only one "hub" inside the case, so the disc one is "stacked" on top of disc two, and both discs had some circular surface scratches when I received them (obviously caused by the strange packaging), but they play fine. In retrospect, I'd probably have bought the SE instead, but that's just me.

rexinnih 01-17-04 06:17 PM

Definately pick up the CE. The LD is great but the CE has so much more. Of course it's missing the Japanese soundtrack, but I think we can live without that one.

mikewendt 01-17-04 07:42 PM

Definately pick up the 2-Disc CE. The gift set isn't worth it unless you're into all the collectable pictures and stuff. But the CE is well worth it!