DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Space Camp and Only You re-releases - different? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/341751-space-camp-only-you-re-releases-different.html)

techiedragon 01-17-04 10:16 AM

Space Camp and Only You re-releases - different?

It looks like both Space Camp (spacecamp for searchers :) ) and Only You are being re-released within the next couple of months. I have the original releases, and I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out if the new ones are any different, or if they're just putting the old dvds back into print / changing the price. Can anyone help?

Space Camp:
Anchor Bay c. 2001; Widescreen Presentation (1.85:1); Full Frame; Theatrical Trailer
reported pixelation issues, believed to be incorrectly framed (should be 2.35:1)

Only You:
Columbia Tristar Home Video c. 1998?; Widescreen (1.85:1); Full Screen; 5.1 sound

I don't know if either of these is anamorphic.

Thanks!

djtoell 01-17-04 10:10 PM

In the case of Space Camp, Anchor Bay's license to whole batch of Disney titles expired. These titles are being re-released either by Disney or MGM (via a license from Disney). Space Camp is being handled by MGM, and early specs indicate another 1.85:1 non-anamorphic transfer. Complaints should be directed towards Disney, not Anchor or MGM.

DJ

abbatazappa 01-18-04 07:56 AM

SpaceCamp was not a Disney film, according to the exhaustive list over at ultimatedisney.com. I was curious if MGM is actually releasing any of the ABE/Disney editions going out of print? I could not find any listed on the MGM website??

There will be some re-releases of the ABE titles, however, by Disney:

The Great Locomotive Chase (May 4)
Midnight Madness (February 3)
Return To Oz (February 3)

However, the following ABE/Disney titles are, or soon will be, out of print, with no plans that I know of for a re-issue by Disney (or MGM, if they do Disney):

The Bears and I (1974)
Big Red (1962) (widescreen version)
The Black Hole (1979)
The Cat From Outer Space (1978)
Candleshoe (1977)
Charlie the Lonesome Cougar (1967)
Condorman (1981)
The Devil and Max Devlin (1981)
The Happiest Millionaire - Theatrical Edition (1967)
The Happiest Millionaire - Roadshow Edition (1967)
The Last Flight of Noah's Ark (1980)
The Littlest Horse Thieves (1977)
Napoleon and Samantha (1972)
Never Cry Wolf (1983)
Nikki, Wild Dog of the North (1962)
The North Avenue Irregulars (1979)
One Little Indian (1973)
One Magic Christmas (1985)
Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983)
The Unidentified Flying Oddball (1979)
The Watcher in the Woods (1981)

Hopefully, they will get re-released by someone, and in OAR (please!). Meanwhile, prices will continue to escalate on eBay as inventory gets depleted (check latest prices on Watcher In The Woods and Happiest Millionaire).

Matthew Chmiel 01-18-04 12:42 PM

SpaceCamp was not a Disney film
It's an ABC Films title which is owned by Buena Vista, which technically makes it a Disney film. ;)

When Disney/Buena Vista's deal fell through with Anchor Bay/Criterion (Straw Dogs, some Hitchcock films), some of the titles (I think eighty or so) went to MGM and the rest will be redone by Disney/Buena Vista themselves. I know My Science Project is getting re-released by Touchstone on 2/3/04, but according to early specs, it looks to be the exact same release as the Anchor Bay version just without the full frame version.

abbatazappa 01-18-04 02:25 PM

Ahh... the ABC - Disney connection, keep forgetting about that. I suppose Disney-philes (which I may be becoming) would dispute the authenticity, since Disney was not involved in the actual production of the film, hence the non-listing at ultimatedisney.com.

djtoell 01-18-04 05:02 PM

Originally posted by abbatazappa
I was curious if MGM is actually releasing any of the ABE/Disney editions going out of print? I could not find any listed on the MGM website??
MGM has already released Prizzi's Honor and Silkwood, for example, which were ABC films previously under license to ABE.

Whether the ABC library is "authentic" Disney material or not, Disney is the copyright holder for those films, and it is Disney who has licensed them out.

DJ

TheV 04-21-04 09:59 PM

Condorman (1981)

I wish they'd rerelease this in a decent DVD. I missed the bad version.

S.

Tigger 04-22-04 12:49 AM

It's better than the original VHS by about 5%. The Title Cards for locations are still offcentered cause the sides of the screen is chopped (incorrect OAR). Nevertheless, I think you and I may be the only person who actually enjoy this film. It's campy and stupid, but great childhood memories.

Nothing like Michael Crawford... The Phantom at his finest! ;)

Originally posted by TheV
Condorman (1981)

I wish they'd rerelease this in a decent DVD. I missed the bad version.

S.