DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Why is the "Toy Story:Ultimate Toy Box" so good? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/341539-why-toy-story-ultimate-toy-box-so-good.html)

OldBoy 01-16-04 12:54 AM

Why is the "Toy Story:Ultimate Toy Box" so good?

I see this set on many a DVD Talker's top ten list and don't know much about it aside from seeing the movies obviously. But what makes this box set so special or unique according to the viewer's like you and me? Just wondering if I should pick this baby up...Thanks for comments and opinions.

vivarey 01-16-04 01:08 AM

From last year's Top 100:

Released over two years ago, the 3-disc Ultimate Toy Box remains a standard of excellence for DVD collections to shoot for. And why should this set have fallen? Included are two of the most charming gems modern cinema has offered, and Pixar's revolutionary computer animation is balanced by their clever screenwriting and original concepts.

Less than a decade after the original Toy Story became the first full-length computer-animated feature, the film already seems etched in film history. The timeless fantasy tale of rivalry amongst the toys in Andy's playroom mixes witty dialogue, dazzling eye candy, and characters with depth rarely seen in live-action film for an incredibly enjoyable experience. And a feast for the senses, as both films feature flawless direct digital transfers, for undeniable first-rate video and audio presentation.

The supplemental material included attempts to take you to infinity and beyond. The movie discs provide two award-winning Pixar shorts, 52 animated interstitials, a half-hour making-of documentary, and two of the most lively and enjoyable audio commentaries that exist. The good-natured spirit that makes the commentaries so winning carries over to Disc 3, where five hours of extras await you. It is on the extras disc that you can see how Toy Story developed into the Toy Story the world knows and loves, and how several themes which were ultimately left out of the first film resurfaced for the sequel. The original story treatment, animation tests, galleries of art development, 3D location fly-arounds, deleted sequences, trailers & TV ads, and much more are included, in this guided tour which illustrates how Pixar works its magic.

First-rate audio and video, a wealth of enlightening supplements, and most importantly, two excellent movies make The Ultimate Toy Box a delightful set.
It's OOP right now so it might be hard to find. There was a thread not too long ago about where to find it, so you might want to do a seach. Beware of bootlegs, though.

Panda Phil 01-16-04 01:36 AM

In other words, the LotR's EE's may have it beat in the sheer amount of extras, but it's still got pretty much everything you'd ever want to know about the making of the two movies. (Personally I think it's worth the price for the interstitials alone!)

All packaged in one of the coolest box designs ever.

Jackskeleton 01-16-04 02:01 AM

the third disc. Nuff said.

marty888 01-16-04 06:48 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
the third disc. Nuff said.
:up: - one of the true treasures of the DVD era!

RyoHazuki 01-16-04 07:07 AM

Great commentaries, great extras, great sound, great picture. Definetly worth having. It can still be found at some Best Buys.

QuiGonJosh 01-16-04 07:24 AM

Well...for my money the Alien Quad and the LOTR EE's have taken the Toy Story's UTB as the biggest and best DVD...but the UTB deserves a lot of credit for being one of the first of its kind!

SilverScreen 01-16-04 09:21 AM

Why are bushes bushy?
Bushy Bushes ='s Bad :frankie:

Gotta love the UTB. One of the best sets ever produced, even after three years.

hgar78 01-16-04 10:29 AM

UTB = brilliance

why? because it contains 2 absolutely amazing films inside! :D and a third disc to take you along on the journey...

DGibFen 01-16-04 11:21 AM

It's very well made and was one of the first benchmarks of DVD sets.

OldBoy 01-16-04 05:00 PM

will they re-release this set? and if so will the ones out now be not worth much anymore?

lgchan 01-16-04 05:25 PM

Keep in mind that the Ultimate Toy Box retailed for something like $60 or $70. The prices you see for it on eBay or such is not that far off from what it was typically sold for in a store.

OldBoy 01-16-04 05:32 PM

really? i didn't know they cost that much when they first came out. will they eventually be worth something? and if i wait will the same set come out again someday soon? thanks.

Bill Geiger 01-16-04 05:47 PM

I still have my third disc sealed. Glad I got the box set for free from FYE as they never charged me last Jan. :)

drmoze 01-16-04 10:24 PM

Still have it sealed? That means you've never watched it! Why own it then?

Jackskeleton 01-16-04 10:32 PM

There are a majority of us on this forum who have TONS of dvd's still wrapped.

Gatsby 01-17-04 12:17 AM

I have it, but I haven't watched it in years...

cruzness 01-17-04 12:33 AM

2 Great movies with excellent transfers and tons of behind the scenes stuff. Pixar knows how to develop movies and they Know how to load up DVD's with information and extras about their movies.

eatntae 01-19-04 04:38 AM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Great commentaries, great extras, great sound, great picture. Definetly worth having. It can still be found at some Best Buys.
I know it's a long shot, but anybody know of a Best Buy (or any store) in SoCal that has this?

rushmore223 01-19-04 04:45 AM

Hehe... Love the Hidden Easter Egg of the Alternate GAG Scene where Clementine (thats the dolls name right?) is left by her owner. Has me rolling on the floor every time.

eedoon 01-19-04 12:51 PM

The third discs, and the cover on each keep cases looks great (it's a big head on the cover, but they're unlike any other big floating head movie poster I've ever seen)