DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Last of the Mohicans Theatrical Edition? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/341494-last-mohicans-theatrical-edition.html)

Wild Yams 01-15-04 08:20 PM

Last of the Mohicans Theatrical Edition?

I'm pretty new here, so forgive me if this has been covered before or talked to death or anything, but am I the only guy out there who has always hoped they would release the theatrical version of "Last of the Mohicans" on DVD (the 1992 movie)? I remember when the Expanded Edition came out years ago I was all excited, until I saw it and realized I preferred the original cut better. I just find it odd that they never put the theatrical version on DVD and I haven't seen any indication that they plan to. Does anyone have any info about whether they do in fact plan to put it on DVD? Thanks in advance.

TheBang 01-15-04 09:54 PM

I don't think there are any plans to do so. I think the Expanded Edition is Michael Mann's preferred cut.

DealMan 01-15-04 11:59 PM

The expanded cut sucks hardcore. I'm with you Wild, the original theatrical cut is one of my top 20 of all time, but I loathe the DVD version. I would really like to have teh theatrical cut on DVD. I actually prefer to watch my widescreen VHS tape (in the wrong AR with mild panning+scanning) than the DVD.

Breakfast with Girls 01-16-04 12:34 AM

What are the main differences? I've seen both, but it's been so long that I don't remember.

eau 01-16-04 12:46 AM

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
What are the main differences? I've seen both, but it's been so long that I don't remember.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104691/alternateversions

RussG 01-16-04 06:42 AM

I hope they do. I bought the DC thinking it might improve (how, I don't know) the film. Instead it just kinda ruined it. Hardly ever watch it anymore.

tasha99 01-16-04 09:13 AM

I too was very disappointed with the expanded addition--they cut out the Clannad song (which I loved) and added a bunch of little meaningless scenes. Sometimes less is more.

I still have an old VHS tape, and I'm keeping that one. My dvd is off to half.com when I finally get around to it.

EskimoJoe 01-16-04 10:19 AM

I never saw the Theatrical cut, but I like my DVD. The song doesn't seem appropriate for a movie like this. Kinda like playing rock music in a movie about jousting. But I wish that it didn't cut scenes and remove lines.

DealMan 01-16-04 12:20 PM

EskimoJoe, I would've probably thought the same thing, but if you ever do get to see the original cut I bet you'd feel differently, it just seems to fit perfectly.

About the only chage I actually like in the Expanded cut is the removal of the line "One day you and I are going to have a serious disagreement!". I always hated that line.

mjlukich 01-16-04 03:27 PM

Originally posted by DealMan
...About the only chage I actually like in the Expanded cut is the removal of the line "One day you and I are going to have a serious disagreement!". I always hated that line.
I have only seen TLOTM on DVD, and I'm sure I've heard that line. Weird.

chanster 01-16-04 03:38 PM

Oh cmon, the "Directors Cut" does not ruin the movie. I may like the theaterical version a bit more, but the DC didn't blow that much.

Wild Yams 01-16-04 04:19 PM

For me the two most irritating things about the "Expanded Edition" was the missing Clannad song (as previously mentioned) and also how totally un-seamless the cuts are when they inserted or removed footage that differed from the theatrical version. The new Divimax version of "Manhunter" was annoying like that too. I just wish that in the case of "Last of the Mohicans" since that is the ONLY version on DVD, they would have spent the money to clean it up and have those transitions be as seamless as possible. At least with "Manhunter" (and many other DVDs with unfinished shots merged in) you can buy the clean theatrical cut and have the choice for which one you want to watch.

RussG 01-16-04 06:50 PM

Originally posted by EskimoJoe
I never saw the Theatrical cut, but I like my DVD. The song doesn't seem appropriate for a movie like this. Kinda like playing rock music in a movie about jousting. But I wish that it didn't cut scenes and remove lines.
Yeah, my wife hates the new music in 'Mohicans' but she LOVES the rock-music jousting movie of which you speak. Weird.

Pants 01-16-04 07:43 PM

The new cut does not ruin the movie.

1. Very little is changed

2. The Clannad song was out of place and needed to go.

3. The only lines cut are all the stupid, macho, action movie cliches, that DDLewis spouts throughout the film, "Thought we'd stop by to give you boys some help!", and "Nothing else to do on the lake this morning Major?", and many more, are all pretty silly.

Bagheera 01-16-04 09:50 PM

i like the clannad song

HistoryProf 01-16-04 11:42 PM

Originally posted by Pants
The new cut does not ruin the movie.

1. Very little is changed

2. The Clannad song was out of place and need to go.

3. The only lines cut are all the stupid, macho, action movie cliches, that DDLewis spouts throughout the film, "Thought we'd stop by to give you boys some help!", and "Nothing else to do on the lake this morning Major?", and many more, are all pretty silly.

:up:

I find all of this bitching pretty amusing....the changes are on the whole very minor, the movie is still very good, and those of you with your panties in a bunch need to let it go. the disc, and the film, are just fine. Absolutely nothing is "ruined," and the removal of the Clannad song is, imho, a tremendous upgrade in quality. It was remarkably cheesy as it was, and now it's not.

cruzness 01-17-04 12:37 AM

Originally posted by brizz
:up:

I find all of this bitching pretty amusing....the changes are on the whole very minor, the movie is still very good, and those of you with your panties in a bunch need to let it go. the disc, and the film, are just fine. Absolutely nothing is "ruined," and the removal of the Clannad song is, imho, a tremendous upgrade in quality. It was remarkably cheesy as it was, and now it's not.

I thought the Clannad song made things seem more dramatic. I could care less about the other changes

mookiemeister 01-17-04 11:34 AM

I also like the Clannad song and was disappointed that they removed it from the movie.

Pants 01-17-04 11:43 AM

I heard that Michael Mann is putting together a "definitive cut" of the film; and while he won't be replacing the Clannad song he will be substituting a track by John Tesh.

So good times to all you New Age fans :up:

JimRochester 01-17-04 12:00 PM

Does raise an interesting point about directors going back and tinkering with movies. It seems the theatrical version should always be available, this way everyone is happy. I like this version but it's been so long since I saw it on P&S VHS I can't remember it.

chanster 01-17-04 12:22 PM

I saw it on P&S VHS I can't remember it
Are you sure..the Last of the Mohicans VHS was widescreen only. A very rare bird.

Pants 01-17-04 02:28 PM

Originally posted by chanster
Are you sure..the Last of the Mohicans VHS was widescreen only. A very rare bird.
Yes, I don't believe I've ever seen this film in P&S. All VHS coppies were widescreen. I think it only played P&S on cable and pay-per-view, but it may have been letterboxed there too.

tacomantt 01-17-04 02:47 PM

Should I buy or wait? Any word of a new release comming soon?

chanster 01-17-04 05:55 PM

No word on a new release, I would buy now if you enjoy the film. Its a cheap purchase anyway.

Giles 01-20-04 09:50 AM

also Mann reedited Magua's death sequence, in the 'director's cut' it is less gory and the slow mo editing too 'arty farty' for me. The Theatrical cut is much more dramatic and the intensity/bloodshed is very deserving of Magua character.