DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Scooby Dooby Doo! Seasons 1 and 2! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/341389-scooby-dooby-doo-seasons-1-2-a.html)

JuryDuty 01-15-04 11:33 AM

Scooby Dooby Doo! Seasons 1 and 2!

From TVShowsonDVD.com:

C'mon Scooby-Doo, I see you...and the rest of the Mystery, Inc. gang, as you finally gulp down a couple of Scooby-snacks and make with the first seasonal Scooby-sets ever!

That's right, after 6 individual DVD releases that featured at least one episode of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?, Warner Home Video now unleashes The Hanna-Barbera Collection, which - along with a season set of The Flintstones (see separate news item) - kicks off with Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? - The Complete 1st and 2nd Seasons!

Cover here: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem...ID=973&Nav=Yes

The Mystery Machine is loaded up here with 25 episodes from the original television series that aired in 1969 and 1970. But the fun doesn't stop there! Because the ghosts and goblins on this release include extras like 2 featurettes, music videos, and a DVD challenge.

Besides all that, this release - which is timed to hit shelves the week before the new "live" theatrical film Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed - also features a "Movie Cash" promotion that entitles the bearer to a $6.50 maximum savings on a box office ticket to the cinematic event.

This 4-DVD release carries the original 4x3 video format, English language soundtrack, and subtitles in English, French, and Spanish. It is also closed captioned for the hearing impaired. Running time is 549 minutes.

The Hanna-Barbera Collection - of which this is "Volume 1" - was launched in the wake of the huge success of animation on DVD, in the form of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection (you'll note that the box design is similar). This, along with The Flintstones, marks a glorious beginning to a new lineup of collectable DVDs that are fun for the entire family. Look for more Hanna-Barbera gems in the not-too-distant future, including The Jetsons.

Get a clue, and get this set when it haunts stores on March 16th. List price for this puppy is an eerie $64.92 (Scooby-snacks not included).

PixyJunket 01-15-04 11:35 AM

Very nice. I know someone who will be very happy about this.

Skull 01-15-04 11:49 AM

Can't wait for this one.

movieholic 01-15-04 11:51 AM

Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! - The Complete 1st and 2nd Seasons - Hanna-Barbera Collection (1969-1970)
- What a Night for a Knight
- Clue for Scooby-Doo, A
- Hassle in the Castle
- Mine Your Own Business
- Decoy for a Dognapper
- What the Hex is Going On?
- Never Ape and Ape Man
- Foul Play in Funland
- Backstage Rage, The
- Bedlam in the Big Top
- Gaggle of Galloping Ghosts, A
- Scooby-Doo and a Mummy Too!
- Which Witch is Which?
- Go Away Ghost Ship
- Spooky Space Kook
- Night of Fright is No Delight, A
- That's Snow Ghost
- Nowhere to Hyde
- Mystery Mask Mix-Up
- Jeepers It's the Creeper
- Scooby's Night With a Frozen Fright
- Haunted House Hang-Up, The
- Tiki Scare is No Fair, A
- Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Werewolf?
- Don't Fool With a Phantom

movieholic 01-15-04 11:51 AM

Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! - The Complete 1st and 2nd Seasons - Hanna-Barbera Collection (1969-1970)
- What a Night for a Knight
- Clue for Scooby-Doo, A
- Hassle in the Castle
- Mine Your Own Business
- Decoy for a Dognapper
- What the Hex is Going On?
- Never Ape and Ape Man
- Foul Play in Funland
- Backstage Rage, The
- Bedlam in the Big Top
- Gaggle of Galloping Ghosts, A
- Scooby-Doo and a Mummy Too!
- Which Witch is Which?
- Go Away Ghost Ship
- Spooky Space Kook
- Night of Fright is No Delight, A
- That's Snow Ghost
- Nowhere to Hyde
- Mystery Mask Mix-Up
- Jeepers It's the Creeper
- Scooby's Night With a Frozen Fright
- Haunted House Hang-Up, The
- Tiki Scare is No Fair, A
- Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Werewolf?
- Don't Fool With a Phantom

i cant wait i will be buying this set for sure...

bayork 01-15-04 12:09 PM

IT'S ABOUT TIME!

My family has 3 generations of Scooby fanatics. ..I hooked my father on it when watching it in '69 and '70, and my son likes it as much as I do..

This is now at the top of my "to preorder ASAP" list.

DVD Josh 01-15-04 12:46 PM

4 DVDs - $65

Ridiculous. That's more than $16 per DVD. I would have considered all three HB season sets coming out, but not at those prices.

madmoose 01-15-04 03:49 PM

its only suggested retail price... jeemaneeze......$65 MSRP = $40 street price

DVD Josh 01-15-04 05:04 PM

Originally posted by madmoose
its only suggested retail price... jeemaneeze......$65 MSRP = $40 street price
Highly doubtful.

bayork 01-15-04 05:46 PM

Actually, madmoose is probably pretty accurate. The Looney Tunes Golden Collection has similar content, shows a MSRP of $64.92 on Amazon, and is selling for $45.44 right now.

Groucho 01-15-04 05:48 PM

That is overpriced, I think, but I'll still probably pick it up.

DVD Josh 01-15-04 06:33 PM

If it was $40, I may consider it. Like wow - I like Scooby better than anything. I relate to him. My car is always breaking down in front of scary houses and abandoned amusement parks, and I can't get rid of Phylis Diller and the Harlem Globetrotters.

Mountain Biker 01-15-04 08:11 PM

Excellent news :thumbsup:

I'm definitely buying!

zyzzle 01-15-04 08:33 PM

Great news! Does anyone know whether the soundtrack used will contain the laugh track? Hopefully not, as I always found that so annoying, but maybe it's just me.

I'll buy this if I can get it for under $40. Agreed on it being quite overpriced.

JJE-187 01-15-04 09:16 PM

I agree it is slightly more expensive then I thought it would be. I don't understand why it's being called "Seasons 1 and 2"? That will make people think that there are going to be more seasons released, but the Where Are You series only lasted those 25 episodes. Why not call it "The Complete Series".

Hopefully this will sell enough to get them to release all the other Scooby series, I am dying for a 13 Ghosts Of Scooby-Doo collection

Breakfast with Girls 01-16-04 12:54 AM

$65? That price is outright <i>ghastly!</i>

Sorry.

Nierfacon 01-16-04 05:12 PM

Originally posted by JJE-187
I agree it is slightly more expensive then I thought it would be. I don't understand why it's being called "Seasons 1 and 2"? That will make people think that there are going to be more seasons released, but the Where Are You series only lasted those 25 episodes. Why not call it "The Complete Series".
Uh-uh. There was a 3rd season with 16 new shows!

After the 1976-77 "Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour", there were some years in 1977-80 where they went to the "Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics" stuff.

The Laff-A-Lympics thing (called "Scooby's All-Stars" for a bit) just didn't satisfy the Scooby-fans, because the fans wanted spooky ghosts and not just games that celebrated the Olympics being in the US. The network kept the Olympic thing because they wanted to keep kids' minds on the events coming in 1980, but they also went back to 1/2-hour shows called "Scooby-Doo Where Are You?" during 1978-79, and that was S3.

Some sites refer to the "Third Season" mistakenly as "The Scooby-Doo Show", but there was never a title like that used in the opening credits. The original 25 shows were rotated in with 16 new episodes:

"Watch Out! The Willawaw!", "A Creepy Tangle in the Bermuda Triangle", "A Scary Night with a Snow Beast Fright", "To Switch a Witch", "The Tar Monster", "A Highland Fling with a Monstrous Thing", "The Creepy Case of Old Iron Face", "Jeepers It's the Jaguaro", "Make a Beeline Away from That Feline", "The Creepy Creature of Vulture's Claw", "The Diabolical Disc Demon", "Scooby's Chinese Fortune Kooky Caper", "A Menace in Venice", "Don't Go Near the Fortress of Fear", "The Warlock of Wimbledon", and "The Beast Is Awake in Bottomless Lake".

Anyway, that list is the "3rd Season" of Scooby-Doo Where Are You? In Fall of 1979 it was the beginning of the end, when they did away with SD:WAY? for once and for all, and started up with "The Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show" (bleah!).

Click here for what's probably the best episode guide for all Scooby-shows you can possibly find!

Scot1458 01-16-04 09:52 PM

the season with THATS SNOW GHOST and THE HEADLESS HORSEMAN were pretty good. That's the one with the shark intro.

Not as good as the first one, but still pretty good.

D-Ball 01-17-04 01:20 AM

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
$65? That price is outright <i>ghastly!</i>

Sorry.

I agree. I think a $50 MSRP would be more inline with what people are willing to pay. I would get all three Hanna-Barbera sets, but I will most likely wait for a price drop.

LasVegasMichael 01-17-04 11:04 AM

Although I do feel that retail is a bit hefty for this, I would anticipate a $40 or less price at costco amongst the others.

Scooby Doo would be my prime interest (as that will brng memories of youth, of course), although Jetsons and Flintstones would tickle my fancy as well for a good price.

--LVM

kcdny 01-17-04 11:43 AM

What about the New Scooby-Doo Movies? I always loved those with the guest stars. I hope these will be released also!

BJHebert 01-17-04 12:25 PM

Originally posted by kcdny
What about the New Scooby-Doo Movies? I always loved those with the guest stars. I hope these will be released also!
I expect "The New Scooby Doo Movies" will be the last thing we see. Licensing/royalty issues for the celebrity voices and their likeness are probably show stoppers.

The "Scooby Doo Meets Batman" DVD featuring "New Movies" episodes is disappointingly missing the show's original opening theme. I assume this is due to the various celebrity likenesses in the opening credits.

rexinnih 01-17-04 06:26 PM

I'm so like, there man. (said in best improvised Shaggy voice)
Looking forward to getting this!

LasVegasMichael 01-17-04 06:40 PM

Retail for Looney Tunes 4 Disc Set is $64.00, and it sells at Costco (as of this morning) for $39.99.

I would anticipate Scooby to be along the same lines.
--LVM