DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Is "The Funhouse" (Tobe Hooper) 16x9? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/341052-funhouse-tobe-hooper-16x9.html)

El Kabong 01-13-04 07:51 PM

Is "The Funhouse" (Tobe Hooper) 16x9?

I've thought of getting this a few times, but it's by Good Times & the cover just says 2:35:1 & not anamorphic or anything. I just saw a quick review on the DvdReview website & they said it is anamorphic, but I have my doubts. Anyone have this one?

Bill Geiger 01-13-04 07:54 PM

Goodtimes does release anamorphic dvds. I usually wait and see what a site reviews to see if it is infact anamorphic...and they are always right! :)

Case in point, Dream a Little Dream, which is listed as full screen on most dvd websites selling it but on the back cover and on the dvdtalk review, it states it is anamorphic. Sure enough, it is!

gutwrencher 01-13-04 07:57 PM

I waited to long to find it on the shelves, I guess. didnt it go oop? I saw it once in a 2-pack at BB...but failed again to grab it. I actually saw this in the theater and loved it's creepiness.

Darryl 01-13-04 10:32 PM

The disc is presented in 2.35:1 but is not enhanced for 16 X 9. It originally was issued in a snapper case, but I had seen it for under six bucks this past October at K Mart re-released in an amaray case. The picture quality is ok at best, but it's still worth tracking down.

meritocracy 01-13-04 11:51 PM

Thanks and much appreciation to El Kabong for this thread. I hadn't known this title was released, and my Father worked with Tobe and company on the production. This will be a nice extra for me to pick up for his upcoming Birthday.

EPKJ 01-14-04 04:10 AM

GoodTimes released a good transfer of the film. I am very happy with my copy, but it is not 16 x 9.

G. Noel Gross 01-14-04 12:02 PM

Originally posted by EPKJ
GoodTimes released a good transfer of the film. I am very happy with my copy, but it is not 16 x 9.
Yes, the release pre-dates the anamorphic push.

Sex Fiend 01-14-04 12:20 PM

Yes, I'd recommend the Goodtimes version. I have it, and while it's definitely not a top-of-the-line transfer, it's serviceable. And can usually be found for well under $10 at most etailers (I think I picked it up for about $6.00 on DDD a year or two ago).

Definitely one of the better flicks from the last golden age of horror movies (1978-1985)...

sracer 01-14-04 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Sex Fiend
Yes, I'd recommend the Goodtimes version. I have it, and while it's definitely not a top-of-the-line transfer, it's serviceable. And can usually be found for well under $10 at most etailers (I think I picked it up for about $6.00 on DDD a year or two ago).

Definitely one of the better flicks from the last golden age of horror movies (1978-1985)...

Yes indeed. The sub-$10 price for it is a bargain, IMO for an unknown title like this.

El Kabong 01-14-04 08:18 PM

I guess my thread got some people to pick it up. DvdEmpire had it in stock when I started the thread & now it's listed as unavailable.

Roy28 01-15-04 12:43 AM

This one pops up every now and then at Sam's Club in a two-pack (I can't recall the movie it's paired with) for something like $8.99. As others said, no 16 x 9 enhancement, but a pretty good widescreen transfer considering it comes from Goodtimes and was a fairly early release.

Josh-da-man 01-15-04 03:42 AM

It occasionally comes in a two-pack with "The Sentinel." Be warned that "The Sentinel" is full-frame, though.

The widescreen transfer of "Funhouse" really isn't too bad, despite not being enhanced. I'd say it's well worth the few bucks it costs.