Hate to ask, but any news on Love, Actually?

Old 01-13-04, 02:18 AM

Hate to ask, but any news on Love, Actually?

Yes, it's probably taboo to ask so blatantly, especially when we get enough of these "Any news" threads here on DVDTalk, but I loved this movie and would hate to wait till next holiday season (read November) to have this on my favorite format. And before anyone asks, yes, I did do a search and came up with every thread that had the words love and actually in them somewhere. which was of no help. My question to fellow DVDtalkers is has anyone perchance heard anything regarding this title's release on DVD?
Old 01-13-04, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It came out in the beginning of November, so hopefully, we'll see a release sometime in March-April(ish) unless they delay it until like November because it is an X-mas theme movie. Since it deals less with Christmas and has the holiday more as just the timeframe in the background, it will hopefully come out this spring (I'd like it sooner, too, I loved the movie, actually). I did read that there was well over an hour of scenes cut, and that they will probably show up on DVD.
Old 01-16-04, 02:32 AM

The wife keeps asking for it, sounds like a kid on vacation: "Is it here yet? Is it here yet?"
Old 01-16-04, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a great film - can't wait.
Old 01-16-04, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I too, loved this movie...although I think I was the only one in the 50 or so people that were in the theater with me.
Old 01-16-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No news, actually...

sorry, couldn't resist
Old 01-16-04, 08:46 AM
Banned

I am so buyin it whenever it comes out! Great flick!
Old 01-16-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I fear having to wait until the holiday season for this too. I don't want to wait darn it, I want it now.

Hopefully so kind of good news will break soon.
Old 01-16-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm with dcprules. I see it less of a holiday film and more of a movie that just happens to be set during the holidays. I think it will come out in a couple of months vs. christmastime.
Old 02-17-04, 10:50 PM

We now know this will be released April 27th, 2004 but I thought I'd add this bit of information I recently gleaned from an interview with curtis in an old Time Magazine. Here's a quote:

Liam Neeson: "Why was my computer scene cut out of the film."
Richard Curtis: "You see, we've got to give them something for the DVD now. "

I don't know whether this scene will actually make it into the deleted scenes included on the disc, but at least it gives you some perspective when the disc actually arrives. Just FYI.
Old 02-17-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's too bad, I was hoping for the poster to be used as the cover art.
Old 02-18-04, 12:40 AM

I participated in an online survey that asked me what I thought about the cover art they were originally planning to use, and believe me, this one is *much* better than that one was.
Old 02-18-04, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh I love that box art. I have the original poster so it is nice to see a new look there. I can't wait for this.
Old 04-28-04, 12:32 AM

Okay, the DVD Is finally in my hands. While I would have liked a better transfer and more supplements on a separate disc, I'm not complaining. And BTW, the computer scene I mentioned earlier is on there and is really funny IMHO.
Old 04-28-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I love the film...

1. The video transfer is similar to American Wedding's. While I think the transfer is okay, I can see why others will dislike it.
2. I wasn't pleased with the Dolby Digital 5.1, the music in some scenes drowned out the dialog.
3. Richard Curtis said there were over 80 minutes worth, where are the other 60?
4. Why wasn't there anything on the making of the film? An EPK or an actual documentary, wasn't there a crew around shooting anything?

But other than that, I'm pleased to have the film on DVD.
Old 04-28-04, 01:00 AM

I loved the movie so much, I'd have probably bought it barebones, but I'm definitely getting it at the end of the week on payday.
Old 04-28-04, 10:28 AM

Did anyone get LOVE ACTUALLY in a different type of DVD case?

Mine is a keep case with two little locking tabs on it. The Universal logo is on the locks so I don't know if they have been doing this for long, but it is the first disc of the sort I have seen.
Old 04-28-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by moviezzz
Did anyone get LOVE ACTUALLY in a different type of DVD case?

Mine is a keep case with two little locking tabs on it. The Universal logo is on the locks so I don't know if they have been doing this for long, but it is the first disc of the sort I have seen.
Mine is like that as well. It must be the new, child-proof dvd case because it took me, an adult, about 20 minutes to figure out how to open the damn thing.
Old 04-28-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This thread makes me think of the guy, and I cannot remember what the commercial was for, who is at the poker party at the end and says something about watching Steel Magnolias and how its a great movie and makes him cry each time.
Old 04-28-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally posted by ukywyldcat
This thread makes me think of the guy, and I cannot remember what the commercial was for, who is at the poker party at the end and says something about watching Steel Magnolias and how its a great movie and makes him cry each time.
Except the difference is that Love Actually is a good movie and Steel Magnolias stinks. Sorry to be so blunt.
Old 04-28-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

2. I wasn't pleased with the Dolby Digital 5.1, the music in some scenes drowned out the dialog.
I agree...Its pretty annoying at times, but I really did enjoy this movie. Plus, this is the first DVD that my wife actually wanted to buy, so that means there are currently snow flurries in hell.
Old 04-29-04, 12:01 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I bought this blind based on comments in this thread (well, that, and my local Walmart priced it at $9.97) and was glad that I did. What a charming little film (with a huge cast)!
Old 04-29-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by movielib
Except the difference is that Love Actually is a good movie and Steel Magnolias stinks. Sorry to be so blunt.
An atheist AND doesn't like Steel Magnolias?!?!?!

I may just have to trade you in for a newer model, movielib . . .

Last edited by talemyn; 04-29-04 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-29-04, 04:12 PM

I really liked this movie. If there was ever such thing as an "epic" romance film this is it. Great acting. great use of music. Nice transfer. but some of the scences seemed a little too bright at times.
Old 04-29-04, 07:36 PM

NEWS NEWS NEWS!!! This just in...That movie sucked

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.