DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   south park dvds censored? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/340869-south-park-dvds-censored.html)

dvdmaniac19 01-12-04 11:49 PM

south park dvds censored?

hey everyone. Does anyone know why the south park dvds are censored? Is there going to be uncensored dvds released?

caiman 01-12-04 11:53 PM

I don't have these DVDs yet, but am planning to order them. How are they censored?

EPKJ 01-12-04 11:53 PM

What are you talking about? Which South Park DVD's do you claim are censored? None to my knowledge are edited.

FuzzyBallz 01-12-04 11:53 PM

Because they were made censored. And no, you'll never see an uncensored release.

He's talking about profanity being censored.

BTW, if you want to hear the kids cussing, you'll have to find the christmas special episode, which is the pilot. Try Kazaa

Max Bottomtime 01-12-04 11:54 PM

What did you find to be censored? They seem identical to the tapes I have from TV.

caiman 01-12-04 11:56 PM

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz

He's talking about profanity being censored.

Oh, I didn't even think about that because I can't imagine someone would consider showing a tv show THE WAY IT WAS PRODUCED AND AIRED to be "censorship." My bad.

Jackskeleton 01-12-04 11:56 PM

I find the bleep to be funnier then them saying acutal curse words, which if they did use, would get old fast..

dvdmaniac19 01-13-04 12:03 AM

if they were made censored, then what did they do in the recording booths when there was supposed to be a curse word?

caiman 01-13-04 12:05 AM

Originally posted by dvdmaniac19
if they were made censored, then what did they do in the recording booths when there was supposed to be a curse word?
Are you being facetious, or are you really this dumb?

:)

dancinns 01-13-04 12:12 AM

Originally posted by dvdmaniac19
Trey and Matt are very good linguists...they probably know how to vocalize a beep

Jackskeleton 01-13-04 12:15 AM

How is it that your enjoyment will be altered by them censoring it if you never heard it without the bleep and you enjoyed it just as well?

EPKJ 01-13-04 12:49 AM

Originally posted by dancinns
Trey and Matt are very good linguists...they probably know how to vocalize a beep
Are you suggesting that Trey and Matt are cunning linguists?

dancinns 01-13-04 12:59 AM

Originally posted by EPKJ
Are you suggesting that Trey and Matt are cunning linguists?
Why yes, I guess I am. :eek:

rfduncan 01-13-04 08:27 AM

BTW - think about this. The bleep over the word that is short enough to allow you to hear the beginning and end of the word allows you to KNOW what they're saying anyway most of the time. This is part of the joke in many episodes. The only time you really hear them cussing is in the movie Bigger, Longer and Uncut and "Episode 502: It Hits the Fan" where they say sh!t many, many times (in fact there is a counter in the corner of the screen counting how many times it is said - I believe the total is something like the minimum number of games that must be played in Major League Baseball in order for a team to have played a legitimate "season").

It WILL be censored when it appears in <a href="http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=315679">syndication</a> on regular TV however...-rolleyes-

Groucho 01-13-04 08:31 AM

If you're really that eager to hear somebody cuss, I'll be glad to record a little MP3 for you.

steebo777 01-13-04 08:35 AM

Originally posted by Grouch094820 & 5/17
If you're really that eager to hear somebody cuss, I'll be glad to record a little MP3 for you.
:lol:

Numanoid 01-13-04 08:41 AM

Originally posted by rfduncan
where they say sh!t many, many times
You can say "shit" on DVD Talk. Try it, it's fun!

Snowmaker 01-13-04 08:42 AM

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
BTW, if you want to hear the kids cussing, you'll have to find the christmas special episode, which is the pilot. Try Kazaa
Or just watch the movie.

PixyJunket 01-13-04 09:40 AM

Wow..

Class316 01-13-04 09:57 AM

While most eps on DVD can’t be considered censored when compared to TV, there are a couple of cases when some of the later TV airings were censored when compared to later airing (and remained censored on DVD).

Like for instance in the ep where Kyle's mom wants to censor Terrance and Philip, when Cartman tells him mom “Kyle’s mom is a dirty Jew” the word “dirty” is bleeped and cannot be made out *at all* :(

Also, in the episode "Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride", in one of the very first airings of this episode, the football announcer originally made a Michael Jackson joke. He said: “I haven’t seen a child get this abused since Michael Jackson’s birthday party”. In all later airings and all subsequent VHS and DVD releases in all regions, it cuts off after “since”.

ThatGuamGuy 01-13-04 10:33 AM

So I suppose you'd like a seperate audio track for Kenny's dialogue also then? You know, 'cause if the cursing is "censored" than so is his dialogue.

While most eps on DVD can’t be considered censored when compared to TV, there are a couple of cases when some of the later TV airings were censored when compared to later airing (and remained censored on DVD).
That's true; I expect Comedy Central will do the same with 'Reno 911'; early showings of the first episode, as well as a later one (#8 or #9?) had Kerri Kenney's (white) character using a certain N-word which I won't repeat in mixed company, but later showings censored the word entirely and ruined both jokes by doing so. I guess people complain sometimes, and Comedy Central listens too hard.

Also, the South Park "censorings" may actually be changes Trey and Matt made; they often change things between the Wednesday showing and the weekend. (I don't expect the "dirty" Jew one is this, but the Michael Jackson joke definitely might be.)

ThatGuamGuy 01-13-04 10:45 AM

meant to say also, the commentaries are "censored" in several spots also, basically whenever they say a real person's name. [The ones I remember, Matt names the shop teacher whom the shop teacher in "Tweek vs. Craig" is based on, and Trey names the Japanese person whom the "so small" character in "Chinpokomon" is based on.]

The strange thing, though, is that in both of those cases, Matt/Trey names the character, and this is censored as well.

Which is to say, a rough approximation of what they say would be: "You know that character, *beep*, who comes in later and says [fill in catch phrase "Don't screw around"/"So small."]? That was a real person, named *beep*." I think they say that the shop teacher's name is almost exactly the same, and the Japanese guy's name is exactly the same, so maybe that's why both character and real person's names are censored. But it's still weird.

[And, at one point, there's another character based on a real person, but he's a friend of theirs and it doesn't get censored, but then Trey says, "No, dude, you can't say real names," and Matt says, "Dude, it's (whoever their friend is), he's not gonna sue us."]

mikewendt 01-13-04 11:23 AM

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
meant to say also, the commentaries are "censored" in several spots also, basically whenever they say a real person's name. [The ones I remember, Matt names the shop teacher whom the shop teacher in "Tweek vs. Craig" is based on, and Trey names the Japanese person whom the "so small" character in "Chinpokomon" is based on.]
They can't use somebody's real name without a signed released, which they obviously didn't get.

majorjoe23 01-13-04 11:41 AM

Didn't Mister Mackee swear in the season 2 episode where he goes on a drug binge? I think he said "Shit," which was bleeped on later airings. I can't remember if it was bleeped on the DVD.

Class316 01-13-04 12:04 PM

Originally posted by majorjoe23
Didn't Mister Mackee swear in the season 2 episode where he goes on a drug binge? I think he said "Shit," which was bleeped on later airings. I can't remember if it was bleeped on the DVD.
He did. I think he said "bullshit" then it was censored in later airings and on DVD.