I am so SICK of Pirates of the Caribbean now!

Old 01-12-04, 01:58 PM
Banned

I am so SICK of Pirates of the Caribbean now!

Hey guys. I just got back from Vegas and I'm not sure if I ever want to see this film again. CES was ridiculous this year. EVERY single company was using Pirates of the Caribbean as demo material. I think I saw the final battle sequence over twenty times this weekend. With all the good stuff that was released this year, it's amazing that the companies couldn't find something else.

Sorry. I had to vent.
Old 01-12-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

considering it didnt have that great of a transfer, I am suprised.. I thought something like TTT or even the T2 Extreme DVD or DareDevil would be used alot more
Old 01-12-04, 02:28 PM
Banned

The entire show was dominated by POTC and then there was also widespread use of the D-VHS X Men 2 and the Two Towers.
Old 01-12-04, 02:30 PM

I don't care much for Susan Sontag novels.
Old 01-12-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Actually, I thought "Finding Nemo" dominated the show.
Old 01-12-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's a consumer convention, do you really think they wouldn't be displaying items that were loved by consumers this year? only went for a day. and I suppose I did see more POTC then finding nemo, I didn't mind that much.
Old 01-12-04, 04:32 PM
Banned

Finding Nemo was used heavily for showing off video, but POTC dominated the theater sound demos.

The show is not for consumers at all, but for industry professionals. That has absolutely nothing to do with it though.

2004 was my 11th trip to Vegas for CES and I have never seen a year where it seemed that no one could put ANY time into planning some unique demo material, or at the very least pick something that didn't get so much play. On top of that, it seemed that half of the manufacturers couldn't even go out and buy the actual DVD, and they just used the freebee DTS demo disc that everyone was getting that had a clip of POTC on it.

It's really not that big of a deal, but it just seems that when you are showing off systems that are well into 6 figures, you could put more than five seconds of thought into the demo material.
Old 01-12-04, 04:39 PM
Suspended

The vendors didn't use POTC 'cause they like it. They show it extensively 'cause they got paid generously by POTC's studio so consumers who visited CES can buy the DVD on their way out. Just simple marketing 101.
Old 01-12-04, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
The vendors didn't use POTC 'cause they like it. They show it extensively 'cause they got paid generously by POTC's studio so consumers who visited CES can buy the DVD on their way out. Just simple marketing 101.
I have worked in the industry my entire working life and I assure you NO ONE was paid a dime for what they used as demo material at the show. By the way, I have a degree in marketing.
Old 01-12-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Green Jello
I have worked in the industry my entire working life and I assure you NO ONE was paid a dime for what they used as demo material at the show. By the way, I have a degree in marketing.
Hey! I have an MBA with a focus in Marketing! Does that mean that I can trump you and say that they were paid?
Old 01-12-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Would you like some cheese with that whine?
Old 01-12-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's a recent release which has mass appeal and is PG-13 so that it doesn't offend anyone (yes, it's all professionals, but you really don't want to highlight gore, violence or nudity and keep the same level of professionalism) It has action throughout the film so why not show it off?

It might not be a show FOR the consumers, but it's for those who buy in order to sell to the consumer. Will you be showing of gigli? nope, you would be showing off equipment and electronics highlighting and adding to the enjoyment of the consumer. I don't see how it would be far fetched to think that mayber, just maybe the companies there wouldn't highlight a popular, well rated film that anyone can enjoy on the equipment to showcase sound, video quality and over all, create a entertainment and enjoyable setting for the consumer.

Why do they play popular music in car ad's? sure the car itself sells, but if you make it look cool and popular with an added soundtrack you will draw in more folks.

As for this silly "well I have blah blah blah".. is there any need to play the bigger fish game here? In any case, most folks who go to CES will end up going to NAB.. anyone wanna get a DVDTalk meet going?
Old 01-12-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
As for this silly "well I have blah blah blah".. is there any need to play the bigger fish game here?
Mine was sarcasm . . . maybe to much to pick up . . .

I agree with you 100%.
Old 01-13-04, 11:34 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
It's a recent release which has mass appeal and is PG-13 so that it doesn't offend anyone (yes, it's all professionals, but you really don't want to highlight gore, violence or nudity and keep the same level of professionalism)

Thank God it has no nudity... That would be torture! Great dvd though!
Old 01-13-04, 12:22 PM
Banned

Well, I guess my point has been completely missed. I think POTC was a really fun and enjoyable film too. I also think that certain scenes in it make GREAT demo material.

My point was very simple. It was that 2003 had lots of great DVD releases and it was just annoying that every single manufacturer chose to use the same one. CES has always been filled with the one or two popular releases for the year, but this time it was just ridiculous. I only brought it up because it was so overused, it became almost funny.