Community
Search

Alien 2-disc digipack - AWESOME!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alien 2-disc digipack - AWESOME!

I just picked up the new 2-disc Alien (had no interest for the other movies). I have to say, the style, digipack, and artwork has got to be the sweetest I have ever seen for a two disc dvd case.

Admittingly, I am caring more and more about DVD artwork and packaging (though the A/V quality of a movie I want still matters MUCH more).

Fantastic job, Fox!

I look forward to more 2-discs from them. I do own two Five-star movies (ID4 and Die Hard) and am curious how these look.
Old 01-06-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. I wish I had a digital camera so I could upload pictures of it.

Oh, and each 2-disc set is numbered as a "Collector's Edition" (like a number of the re-released Fox 2-disc packs) so the movies run from number 10 - 13.

Now if I can get my 20th anniversary disc in there somehow (Has a number of features and trailers/TV spots that this one doesn't have) I'd be really happy.
Old 01-06-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the ID4 re-release and it looks very slick. Still hate the numbering on the spine though. I love digipacks
Old 01-07-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Was the Alien Vs Predator teaser that's on these individual releases included in the Quadrilogy?
Old 01-07-04, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally posted by Cosmic Bus
Was the Alien Vs Predator teaser that's on these individual releases included in the Quadrilogy?
No.
Old 01-07-04, 02:13 AM

All pics from EBay

Old 01-07-04, 02:37 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any pics for the interiors?
Old 01-07-04, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DGibFen
Oh, and each 2-disc set is numbered as a "Collector's Edition" (like a number of the re-released Fox 2-disc packs) so the movies run from number 10 - 13.
What does the 10-13 represent? What's 1-9 then?
Old 01-07-04, 08:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Like the idea of the digipak, but I'm hating the artwork on the Aliens, 3, & Res discs. Why put the queen on the cover??? I mean, I know that by now everyone has seen this flick and knows that it's coming, but still, it's such a powerful reveal, when she's first shown. To just stick her on the cover like that, it feels like a spoiler for some reason.

They should have just used the simple, classy poster art: black background with blue lettering and the tagline "This Time It's War". Also, the original poster art for "Alien 3" was great as well. The green swirling Alien fetus the the "3 times the terror..." tag was a great poster.

I never liked any of the Res posters though, so the dvd art for that particular flick really isn't any worse.
Old 01-07-04, 08:50 AM

DVD Profiler states that Aliens (the second movie) has a DTS 5.1 track?

is it true?

If it is, I will be quite angry that it's not included in my Quadrilogy set!
Old 01-07-04, 09:17 AM

Aliens does NOT have a DTS track. Not enough room on the disc 1 of Aliens (so they said). Only DTS tracks on Alien (beautifully restored visuals) and Alien Resurrection.
Old 01-07-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Snowmaker
What does the 10-13 represent? What's 1-9 then?
Fox is now numbering all of their 2-disc releases (ala The Criterion Collection).

1-9 are things like The Abyss, Die Hard, Cast Away, ID4, etc. Pretty silly, I think, but harmless.
Old 01-07-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Tha Freak
DVD Profiler states that Aliens (the second movie) has a DTS 5.1 track?

is it true?

If it is, I will be quite angry that it's not included in my Quadrilogy set!
No, all of the Alien 2-disc sets include the same specs as their respective Quad brothers, except that the 9th disc is not avaliable for seperate purchase.
Old 01-07-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally posted by F For Fake
Like the idea of the digipak, but I'm hating the artwork on the Aliens, 3, & Res discs. Why put the queen on the cover??? I mean, I know that by now everyone has seen this flick and knows that it's coming, but still, it's such a powerful reveal, when she's first shown. To just stick her on the cover like that, it feels like a spoiler for some reason.
I agreed, Fox should'nt put the Alien queen on the front cover, instead they should have use the back cover of Ripley holding her weapon while carrying Newt instead. Interesting enough, I owned the Special Edition of Aliens that is OOP it also has the queen on the cover.
Old 01-07-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DGibFen
I agree. I wish I had a digital camera so I could upload pictures of it.

Now if I can get my 20th anniversary disc in there somehow (Has a number of features and trailers/TV spots that this one doesn't have) I'd be really happy.
I didnt know the stuff on 2oth anniversary wasnt included on the new one. I havent got the new one yet..it shipped on Friday. how much of the old dvd features is not on the new one. can you be specific or is it a lot?
Old 01-07-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Deke Rivers
how much of the old dvd features is not on the new one.
Basically, all of them, I think. The commentary, isolated score, and alternate production audio tracks are not on the new DVD.

I'm not sure about the other stuff (storyboards and such), but I don't think those made the transition either.
Old 01-07-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To just stick her on the cover like that, it feels like a spoiler for some reason.
As mentioned before, the old disc has a similar picture. I am keeping my old Alien disc..the isolated score is pretty neat.
Old 01-07-04, 12:16 PM

I'm not sure about the other stuff (storyboards and such), but I don't think those made the transition either.
Sure they did. Between discs 2 and 9, there are tons of Alien storyboards and "such" in the Quadrilogy set. One thing the new individual 2-disc versions have that their Quad counterparts don't is the Alien Vs. Predator teaser trailer. Yippee.
Old 01-07-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now they say there are NINE hours of special features. I find that hard to believe. The bonus disk had about 3 1/2 hours of documentaries if I remember correctly. Just saw it last week on my Quadrilogy set.

Are they counting the commentary track twice, even though it's the same track for both versions of the film (with the extended edition taking up an additional 10 minutes)?
Old 01-07-04, 12:22 PM
Banned

Wow, I was going to get the Quad, I think I'll just get Alien and Aliens though, those digipacks are nice.
Old 01-07-04, 12:37 PM
Cool New Member

Is the film/audio transfer a big improvement over the 20th anniversay editions?
Old 01-07-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
Basically, all of them, I think. The commentary, isolated score, and alternate production audio tracks are not on the new DVD.

too bad..I was hoping to dump the old editions once the new ones showed up
Old 01-07-04, 02:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dom56
I agreed, Fox should'nt put the Alien queen on the front cover, instead they should have use the back cover of Ripley holding her weapon while carrying Newt instead. Interesting enough, I owned the Special Edition of Aliens that is OOP it also has the queen on the cover.

Yes, I had the old disc as well. I objected to it then as well, but I was hoping that for the new, ramped-up releases we'd get better art. I guess it's an improvement over the "green fog" effect on the last disc. Blech.

I agree with your idea about what should have been on the cover. It's the image from the international poster (reissued and reprinted a great deal here in the US) and while it does have a hazy pic of the Queen in the background, it's not so blatent. The laserdisc set used this pic along with a nice black border. It was pretty classy.
Old 01-07-04, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
Now they say there are NINE hours of special features. I find that hard to believe. The bonus disk had about 3 1/2 hours of documentaries if I remember correctly. Just saw it last week on my Quadrilogy set.

Are they counting the commentary track twice, even though it's the same track for both versions of the film (with the extended edition taking up an additional 10 minutes)?
Studios typically count each commentary as a special feature. So if you have 2 commentaries for the movie thats 2hours long, the studios can effectively claim "Over four hours of extra features."
Old 01-07-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SergeantD
Is the film/audio transfer a big improvement over the 20th anniversay editions?
Alien is a huge improvement.

Aliens is the exact same audio and video. Cameron wouldn't approve a new transfer because he thought the current one was fine and it is the worst of the lot.
Fox was willing to pay for a new HD transfer and Cameron refused! Thanks Jim!

Alien 3 and 4 look the same to me but they always looked great.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.