Community
Search

Lone Wolf & Cub problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-04, 12:03 PM
ALQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lone Wolf & Cub problem

It has taken me months to find just the first DVD in the Lone Wolf & Cub series. I was wondering why are these DVD's so hard to find? No stores around me have them and most web sites such as Amazon and Deep Discount say "out of stock". Even ebay has nothing! Why is this?

Either way I finally have Sword of Vengeance and I was curious about the subtitling option. I think there may be a problem with either my player or the disc itself. Full subtitles translates more than I need to know and cluters the screen too much. And limited subtitles only translates the "extra" stuff from the full subs. For example if I choose limited, the movie plays with no subs at all, until they show at the top of the screen: "Ookami Itto:" Wolf Sword...or "Ronin:" Samurai without a master (info I would assume people watching these movies already know). I am very confused as to why AnimEigo would set it up this way. I've read other reviews of their stuff and it sounds like mine is defective. If anyone could help that would be great.
Old 01-11-04, 04:01 PM

On my Toshiba and Panasonic, I get no subs - only when I play the disc on my PC do I have what I would consider correct subtitles.
Old 01-11-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Lone Wolf & Cub problem

Originally posted by ALQ
It has taken me months to find just the first DVD in the Lone Wolf & Cub series. I was wondering why are these DVD's so hard to find? No stores around me have them and most web sites such as Amazon and Deep Discount say "out of stock". Even ebay has nothing! Why is this?
The people who make this DVD are Animeigo
They are a relatively small company so they don't have much of a distribution. They sell the LW DVDs on their site first, and then about 3 months later it's available in normal outlets if they choose to carry them. I've seen this title at Amazon.com and a Suncoast store. I bought my copy at RightStuf when they had a sale on it and bought the 2nd one, Baby Cart in the River Styx, for $25 (no tax) at the Comic-Con in San Diego from Animeigo themselves. The 3rd one is coming out any day now.

As for your subtitle problem, I haven't noticed a problem on my player (Toshiba SD-2200)
Old 01-12-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I ordered the second film from DDD during their sale at the end of Nov. My order status still says "Open." I'm anxiously awaiting it.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 01-12-04 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-12-04, 12:42 PM

Good luck getting one via a distributor. If you want it, dig down into your pockets and get one from Animeigo.

The third film is going to be available Any Time Now (tm).
Old 01-12-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by majorjoe23
I ordered the second film from DDD during their sale at the end of Nov. My order status still says "Open." I'm anxiously awaiting it.
Me too, but I have it listed as 'Backordered'
Old 01-12-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Animeigo has missed the release dates on 3 dvds now between Zatoichi and LWC. I hope these get released soon.
Old 01-12-04, 10:39 PM

Same here, I ordered my copy on 10/22 for $16.19 and it still shows as backorder with an estimated ship date of 11/01...
Old 01-12-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
No subtitle problems with mine either (Unless someone has issues with the green subtitles signifying that a 2nd character is speaking)

I've had luck finding the previous 2 LW&C's at Tower Records. I'll check there as soon as Baby Cart to Hades and others recieve street dates.