DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Do you buy DVDs just because they are on sale? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/340708-do-you-buy-dvds-just-because-they-sale.html)

josuff247 01-12-04 11:06 AM

Do you buy DVDs just because they are on sale?

Now, I do not buy something I do not like because it is on sale,
but sometimes I buy something I may otherwise pass up
just because of a really good sale or a price mistake.

Also I buy things Im not really in a rush for on release week
because it is usually much cheaper at the B&Ms.

Its like going to Costco for food.
You get great value for your dollar,
but end up with stuff you don't really need!

Me007gold 01-12-04 11:13 AM

ido this all the time for the wal-mart bin, when things are that cheap, if it looks good, ill give it a chance

Brian Shannon 01-12-04 11:16 AM

I only buy DVD's that I want to watch repeatedly, regardless of price.

talemyn 01-12-04 11:20 AM

Yeah . . . there are a whole group of DVD's, in my mind, that fall under the "will not buy unless below $__.__". The funny thing is, from time-to-time, one of these DVD's will drop below that price and I'll realize that, even then, I still don't want them. :)

jayson1017 01-12-04 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
agreed.

EPKJ 01-12-04 11:28 AM

I do buy certain DVD's if they are cheap enough. One recent example is Cutthroat Island. I picked this up for $6.99 at Best Buy. It is a bad film which can nevertheless be fun to watch. It is worth about $6.99 to me. I would never have bought it at a higher price. Many films become impulse buys when their prices drop because they are lesser priorities. Price does make a difference in many cases.

cross 01-12-04 11:48 AM

:thumbsup:

DeeKay 01-12-04 11:49 AM

If the dvd is below $10 and I think I'll watch it more than twice, I'll buy it.

Josh H 01-12-04 11:49 AM

I only buy DVDs of movies I know I'll watch repeatedly (like Brian). But price is definitely a factor as I'm on a tight budget. So there are some titles I'll only pick up if I find a deal (i.e. movies I like enough to watch over and over, but don't love enough to pay more than $20 for).

PalmerJoss 01-12-04 11:52 AM

I've been known to scour the $5.88 section of Walmart and if it's a movie I like, or would like to see I'll gladly pick it up, along with a few that I haven't heard of. Sometimes I come up with a winner, sometimes not. For $5.88 I don't really mind ending up with a bad movie, so it's worth it to me.

Beritolam 01-12-04 12:04 PM

I try to stick with my list of "DVD's to buy," but if a title is cheap enough and looks interesting I'll take a chance on it. I look at the under 6 dollar DVD as an alternative to renting.

uteotw 01-12-04 12:39 PM

Used to, realized that was stupid, so now hardly ever.
Maybe if it's a darn good deal, like the Buy 2 Get 1 Free at Blockbuster, where it's about $6 each, but still only if it's flicks I know I'll watch again in the future.

matome 01-12-04 12:59 PM

Originally posted by DeeKay
If the dvd is below $10 and I think I'll watch it more than twice, I'll buy it.
Yep

Ginwen 01-12-04 01:07 PM

Sometimes. Every DVD has a value. Some, I'll pay any amount for (well, not any amount, but some I'll pay $30 for, anyway). Some you'd have to pay me to take. If I see a particular DVD at a price that I think is good for that DVD, absolutely I'll get it.

Sadly, the walmart bins are mostly filled with the movies I'd want to be paid to take.

EPKJ 01-12-04 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Ginwen
Sometimes. Every DVD has a value. Some, I'll pay any amount for (well, not any amount, but some I'll pay $30 for, anyway). Some you'd have to pay me to take. If I see a particular DVD at a price that I think is good for that DVD, absolutely I'll get it.

Sadly, the walmart bins are mostly filled with the movies I'd want to be paid to take.

That is why I own Space Jam. Costco paid me to take it.

KTIK 01-12-04 01:52 PM

I'm probably going to do this tomorrow or Wednesday. The Nightmare on Elm Street collection + the 15.99 Freddy vs. Jason DVD = Save 26 bucks. I wouldn't have gotten FvsJ any other way, but this will make me get it.

nightmaster 01-12-04 02:19 PM

Sure. I can't imagine there aren't LOTS of us who buy a DVD, if we have a liking for the movie at all, because of the price. I saw Wall Street in the Walmart $5.50 bin a few days ago and grabbed it up. I'd never pay $10 or more for it but at $5.50 I was convinced to own it. When they have the sense to price DVDs that low they become an impulse item for the masses, and lots of times I've seen titles I've paid up to $20 for that now are residing in those bins, so whenever I'm in Wallyworld I'll usually take a peek and see what lurks there.

jough 01-12-04 02:27 PM

Sometimes the order of things on my wish list will change if I can get something on sale, or buy a Criterion I've been meaning to pick up before it goes OOP, etc.

But I've never just bought a disc because there was a good deal on it. I'd rather put the money toward something that I *want*.

Of course, if there was a movie that I'd been meaning to rent, but it's on sale for a dollar or something, then sure, I guess I'd buy it.

nemein 01-12-04 02:35 PM

There are some DVDs I'm waiting to go on sale before I buy them, but I don't usually do it the other way around...

Gatsby 01-12-04 02:37 PM

Agreed.

I cringe at some of the $5.88 DVDs that people pick up at Wal-Mart... I know there are people that actually enjoy those movies, but I think sometimes it is the price that causes the purchase.

gcbma 01-12-04 02:58 PM

A significant sale price will influence my decision for a blind buy, only if it's either critically-acclaimed and I think I might like it or if it looks appealing to me, though I will keep it in my collection only if it I anticipate that I will watch it repeatedly and that it will add value to my movie-watching life. I generally read through a half dozen reviews (Cinemania 97 is a terrific resource for movies made before 1997) before making blind buy decisions, but not always. Even for DVD's I know I want, I usually do search or hold off until I find the best price (at least 25% off) if possible before making a purchase; so, sales do influence my purchase decision in either case. I will not buy a DVD at any price if I know ahead of time I won't like it enough to keep it and watch again.

Most recent example of a blind buy influenced by a sale was just this weekend: Bought "My Darling Clementine" at Borders Books & Music yesterday because I saw it on sale for $12.99. Since I'd never seen it before, I would not have sought out that title and bought it at its retail price.

island007 01-12-04 02:59 PM

Yes, I have some movies I purchased only because the price was low enough for that specific movie.

It is all relative. There are some titles I will spend a good amount to own quick. (LOTR-EE) There are good titles I will get through CH or spend about $10-$12 (Pulp Fiction). There are titles I will get only at bargain prices $8-$10 (A.I.). Then there are bargin bin titles $6 or less.(Wall Street).

eau 01-12-04 03:53 PM

No, I buy DVDs for the movies not because they are cheap or on sale. I don't mind if the DVDs that I want to buy are on sale though.

jough 01-12-04 04:08 PM

For those willing to pay any price for the discs they want: e-mail me before you make your next purchase. I'll ship overnight to you and double the price.

mikewendt 01-12-04 04:38 PM

I will if I'm looking for the title.