Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Will there be Star Trek Next Generation movie SEs?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-04, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Now that the Star Trek VI collector's edition is coming out soon, does anyone know if Paramount is definitely planning on doing 2-Disc sets of the Next Generation movies, the ones I've *really* been waiting on? I'm eager to see Generations, First Contact, even Insurrection and Nemesis in expanded editions. Anyone know if they're coming?
Old 01-11-04, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't heard either, but I would expect them to be treated the same as the others. Afterall, it's all Star Trek. I've been waiting on picking up the Next Gen movies in the hopes that they'll do it.
Old 01-11-04, 10:41 AM
Banned

Only TNG movie I'll buy is First Contact...the other two sucked...Generations I count as an original crew flick since their in it...and I'll get that one...
Old 01-11-04, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Only TNG movie I'll buy is First Contact...the other two sucked...Generations I count as an original crew flick since their in it...and I'll get that one...
Generations is a next generation flick. Scotty and Checkov make a small cameo in the opening set-up of the film, and shatner doesnt re-appear till the end. I wouldnt realy call it an original crew film, unless the all seven memebers of the original crew were present throught the film
Old 01-11-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
I don't care for The Next Generation stuff but I do hope a special edition is done for Generations since Kirk mains a main part of the story-line. It is the only Star Trek disc I would buy that has the crew of TNG in it.
Old 01-11-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts
I'll get all the original crew but only Generations and First Contact. I'm in the minority of people that honest to goodness like this film, and I've been dying to watch it. I sold off my original DVD way back when Paramount started doing the SEs. I figured they'd bang them out pretty quick. So I'm in withdrawal now for the Enterprise B sequence and the Enterprise D
Spoiler:
crash landing
sequence, especially now that I have a WS tv. First Contact was just a fun, cool movie.

Insurrection would need a massive director's cut, and I haven't seen Nemesis due to all the bad buzz.

Hope we see all the deleted footage for Generations too, there's supposed to be quite a bit.
Old 01-11-04, 04:05 PM

i hope they have the original ending to Generations (the one that test audiences were so up in arms about) somewhere for us to see, should they make a SE Generations. i'd like to know what was so terrible about it that they had to drag Stewart and Shatner back out into the desert for reshoots.
Old 01-11-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I want SE's of all of them... I dont care how bad they were, I might as well finish my collection and get em all.
Old 01-11-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Grabastic
i hope they have the original ending to Generations (the one that test audiences were so up in arms about) somewhere for us to see, should they make a SE Generations. i'd like to know what was so terrible about it that they had to drag Stewart and Shatner back out into the desert for reshoots.
It's not so terrible, it just seemed cheap.

Spoiler:
Soran shot Kirk in the back
Old 01-12-04, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
Well, to answer the original question, The Digital Bits has had some news items that indicate that Star Trek Generations: Special Collector's Edition is on the way in 2004. See the 10/2 post here:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa78.html

If that turns out to be true, then I would bet the rest of the movies will all get 2 disc SE's also.
Old 01-12-04, 06:30 AM
Banned

Well...if its got Shatner/Kirk...I'll buy it!
Old 01-12-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was under the assumption that Paramount was doing all of the Star Trek films as SE's, just one at a time.

So by this time next year (or sooner, I hope) we'll get First Contact. Look forward to finally replacing my widescreen VHS copy of it.

Meanwhile, VI is out in two weeks!
Old 01-12-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by DGibFen
I was under the assumption that Paramount was doing all of the Star Trek films as SE's, just one at a time.
I recall reading this as well during an interview with a Paramount exec online. This was said right after the "motion picture" SE came out - all Star Trek films would get similar treatment/re-releases.
Old 01-12-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have two words for the folks putting together the Generations SE -- Orbital Skydiving.

Thank you.
Old 01-12-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't wait for these. Actually, I still have some catching up to do with 4, 5 and 6... better get cracking...
Old 01-12-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

remember the Generations trailer where Kirk says "the 24th century isn't so bad"? that wasn't used in the final version of the movie, because i think that precludes Kirk getting shot in the back by Soren. the test audiences found that ending unfitting for the Kirk character, so the writers decided to throw him off the cliff instead.

Originally posted by Grabastic
Old 01-12-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Over in DVDReview's forum, they have a fellow who is extremely in tight with the studios, Paramount in particular. He said that Insurrection will be the last 2 disc SE. Also, if Nemesis were to have gotten a 2 disc SE, it would have been at first release. It's poor box office performance pretty much shut the door on that.

Doesn't bother me as I'm only buying up to Generations, but I wonder if a new cut would help it any? (Speculatively speaking, I've never seen it)
Old 01-12-04, 09:16 PM

I hope you don't mean "Tom" over at the DVD Review forum. He gets as much right as he does wrong, and frankly, he seems to just flat-out invent things sometimes. I have a broken watch and even it's right twice a day.

That being said, I can't imagine Paramount revisiting Nemesis either. And I agree, I'm only buying Trek SEs up to Generations as well. I pretty much hate the film series after that.
Old 01-13-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've bought I-V and plan on buying The Undiscovered Country and First Contact. That's probably it. Nemesis was okay, dislike Generations, and hate Insurrection.
Old 01-13-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Being more of TNG fan myself, I enjoyed Generations, First Contact, and Nemesis. I'd love to see SEs of the former two. Generations, for me, was a film I came to enjoy after 2 or 3 viewings. Stewart is just so amazing as the emotive and desperate captain.

Insurrection was a huge mess of a film, but if they revisited it (and maybe re-cut it with new footage), I'd probably pick it up. As far as Nemesis goes, the ending was a huge surprise for me. Should be interesting to see where they go with it.

Last edited by vivarey; 01-13-04 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-13-04, 03:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I highly doubt we'll see a 2-disc set for Nemesis, as the current release already is a special edition (and after watching the extras, there's not much else about the film I'd want to see). However, I will gladly pick up all the other ones through Insurrection. I used to be only a TNG fan, but these special editions have made me a fan of the original crew, at least in the movies.
Old 01-13-04, 06:38 PM

I personally feel that First Contact is the best "Star Trek" movie of all time. There are two scenes in it that I actually rank up in my favorite movie scenes of all time... and the score... wow, what an incredible score... I would gladly upgrade all of the Star Trek TNG movies when / if they come out with an SE version.
Old 01-13-04, 07:02 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
There is money to be made.

Newer versions will come.

Eventually.
Old 01-13-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once I get Undiscovered Country, I'm done.

I was considering Generations, but caught it on cable not too long ago and forgot how boring it was.
Old 01-13-04, 09:24 PM
Banned

Hmmm

Although Nemesis says, "Special Edition"....it does not say "Special Collector's Edition" like all the current one's are getting. My bet is, that if all the4se new ones sell well, look for a new "Nemesis"(possibly extended edition with the Wesley Crusher scences put back in to help continuity?).
In other news I ran into Johnathan Frakes the other day, who is one of the nicest people in show boz today. He talked to me for about 20 minutes, and was so down to earth. He also said that Paramount has contacted him, and that he is eagar to record his commentary tracks for both "First Contact" and "Insurrection". Johnathan Frakes is the freakin' man. Anyone who has met him knows what I'm talking about.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.