DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Do you want the 2 dicsc or single disc of The Final Countdown on March 30th? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/339991-do-you-want-2-dicsc-single-disc-final-countdown-march-30th.html)

rayovac 01-08-04 03:45 PM

Do you want the 2 dicsc or single disc of The Final Countdown on March 30th?

Just got the news "The Final Countdown" is coming on March 30, there will be a limit of 100,000 LE (2 disc sets) made. Anamorphic 5.1 and 6.1 sound are included. The second disc has clips from the Jolly Rodgers flying club who flew the amriican and Japanese aircraft in the film, plus a bio on Kirk Douglas. I have my pre-order in already, will you be buying this Title, if so please in your response type single or the 2 disc Limited edition. TIA :)

Mopower 01-08-04 03:47 PM

Where do you have it on pre-order? I'll get it if it's going to be a limited run. Well, depends on how much it is.

rayovac 01-08-04 07:15 PM

mopower

Amazon I cut copied and pasted this off a AVS forum post it should interest you and all who are interested in limited editon anamorphic W/S with 2 different sounds available.

Limited Edition: 100,000 copies

Disc 1:

THX, HD Anamorphic Widescreen (2.35:1), and Full Frame Versions

Dolby Digital 5.1 EX, DTS 6.1 ES

Audio commentary with director of photography Victor Kemper

Theatrical trailers, T.V. spots

Disc 2:

Interview with associate producer Lloyd Kaufman

Interviews with original members of the original Jolly Rogers F-14 fighter squadron

Film Poster Art

Photo Gallery

Kirk Douglas biography

DVD-ROM Zero pilot jounal

In addition, the two disc limited edition comes with a lenticular cover that has the U.S.S. Nimitz disappearing.

Many on-line retailers have both versions up for pre-order, with the limited edition going for less than twenty dollars. Release date: 3/30/04.

Howie

***Extra special thanks to Bill Hunt over at the digital bits for posting this info from Blue Underground today!

Rogue588 01-08-04 07:35 PM

bah.

i'm sticking with my Pacific Family disc.. :p

seriously, double disc for me.

gutwrencher 01-08-04 07:36 PM

the 2-discer...of course. we have been talking about it HERE ...in the official BU thread.

I still am excited about a few other BU titles coming before that. more Franco!!!

TREX1993 01-08-04 11:49 PM

Well, the 2-disc, naturally. And I would suspect most people who spend the time to post 100s, 1000s, even 10,000s of times on a DVD forum would want the same! :)

SilverScreen 01-09-04 12:15 AM

I'm going with the 2-disc set

Mr.Briggs 01-09-04 12:44 AM

2 disc (already preordered at DDD).

Josh-da-man 01-09-04 03:16 AM

This is being released in a 2-disc set limited to 100,000 pieces in addition to a single-disc edition?

Is the demand for this title that high?

Really, I don't see this selling anywhere near 100,000 copies in any edition.

EPKJ 01-09-04 06:07 AM

I also find it hard to believe that demand will be that high. I shall be buying the two disc edition.

Kromax 01-09-04 07:50 AM

No brainer: 2 disc

acostigan 01-09-04 11:33 AM

Since I don't see any extras I'm interested in, I'll probably be picking up the single-disc edition. I imagine the single-disc edition with be disc 1 of the SE. Hopefully, it will be $9.99 or less. Although that lenticular cover on the SE sounds cool.

Rammsteinfan 01-09-04 12:48 PM

This is going to be a blind buy for me... it sounds cool and I everyone I have talked to likes it. I dont know if I want to spring for a 2 disc if that extras arent all that much, just interviews and a special cover...? Hmmm, I will have to think on this one.

rayovac 01-09-04 10:34 PM

I just watched my older 2001 and it looked great, my favorite scene is when they're on the 'Gatsby' and Senator Samuel Chapman, Laurel, and the old man see and hear two thunderous F-14 jets come accross the ocean on a low 'fly by' scream loudly overhead of their boat. I always turn up my volume and bass for that one. Their genuine 'disbelieving' faces were classically done by the director, his job to get a how people would react in 1941 to something they never dreamed was possible! What Senator Samuel Chapman, later taking to Captain Yellan called them rocket planes and the thing that picked us up from the sea!:)

Snowmaker 01-10-04 07:52 AM

I may have to get this. It was always one of my favorite movies growing up.

Spooky 01-10-04 09:06 AM

Does anyone have more info on this release...I really want to pre-book it, but am worried that the transfer might not be much better than the lousey worse-than-VHS version that is out now. Remember, just because it's anamorphic doesn't mean they've cleaned up the transfer.

And yes, I think this movie is in high demand...I know many people who tell me it's one of their favorite films...it's not mine, but I like it enough to want to get the 2-disc edition.

BTW, DDD has the 2-disc for only $17.98!

TomOpus 01-10-04 09:59 AM

2-disc for me too.

This might be weird but I like pawing through the copies to find the lowest number. I'll hit a few stores to see what numbers they have.

I know... stupid and pointless but it adds a little fun in my shopping. :)

djones6746 01-10-04 10:08 AM

Originally posted by acostigan
Since I don't see any extras I'm interested in, I'll probably be picking up the single-disc edition. I imagine the single-disc edition with be disc 1 of the SE. Hopefully, it will be $9.99 or less. Although that lenticular cover on the SE sounds cool.
Same here....single disc. Love this movie...but the 2 disc should be the only version available at the $13.00 price range.

nycbrent 01-10-04 10:34 AM

It seems well-established that most of us DVD-obsessives will want the two disc version...

What drew me to read this entire thread is the tone of rayovac's initial post...it sure seems like an old member is back amongst us. The grammar and nature of the post is unmistakable...

Static Cling 01-10-04 11:16 AM

We have a thread every week about what people buy. Closing.

Also, duplicate accounts are against forum rules. Banning.

(Nice catch, nycbrent.)