DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   What's the greatest/most special OOP DVD you have that you bought while in print? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/339772-whats-greatest-most-special-oop-dvd-you-have-you-bought-while-print.html)

Snowmaker 01-07-04 05:40 PM

What's the greatest/most special OOP DVD you have that you bought while in print?

Just curious. Mine would have to be Robocop (Criterion), Flash Gordon, or Toy Story 2-pack.

Doughboy 01-07-04 05:50 PM

Probably This Is Spinal Tap Criterion. It's worth the most out of all the OOP discs I own.

TomOpus 01-07-04 05:53 PM

I guess I can mention the signed I Drink Your Blood DVD.

onebyone 01-07-04 05:58 PM

Quite by accident, I got Lady in White right before it went out of print. I am happy about that one. Besides that, I am rather enamoured with my Evil Dead 2 Tin and Dead Ringer Criterion disc.

fishentail 01-07-04 06:50 PM

Probably Hard Boiled (Criterion) or Charade (Criterion).

marty888 01-07-04 07:00 PM

A few would be <i>Flash Gordon, Swamp Thing, Duck Soup, Animal Crackers, Horse Feathers, Charade (CC), Silence of the Lambs (CC), Robocop (CC), Unbearable Lightness of Being (CC)</i> and the recent Hitchcock CC's then just went OOP.

Tarantino 01-07-04 07:02 PM

Charade and the Ultimate Toy Box, both still sealed.

Brent L 01-07-04 07:20 PM

The Criterion Wrong Men & Notorious Women Hitchcock Collection box set. I removed the outer plastic cover over the box set, but each individual DVD in the set is still sealed.

darkside 01-07-04 07:31 PM

I've been buying DVDs for awhile. I bought Salo and This is Spinal Tap Criterion on the same day. Didn't have any idea they would go out of print. I was actually thrilled when I sold Salo for $150 when it went OOP since I hated the movie. Little did I know it would go up to such a higher outragous price on ebay.

I bought most of the Criterions that are now out of print while they still were in print. I bought all the Image Universals for $9.99 each in a bargain bin. I still have Double Indemnity and MST3K the Movie sold the rest for a big profit.

I have some of the Anchor Bay limited editions (which aren't so limited), all the Universal Classic Monster Movies, and the Disney DVDs that are no OOP.

Of all my OOP movies This is Spinal Tap, MST3K: The Movie, and the entire Universal Monster Collection are my most cherished and rewatched DVDs.

ArchibaldTuttle 01-07-04 07:49 PM

I heard Night of the Living Dead ME was out of print, I love that movie, and the DVD is loaded to the gills

DVD Smurf 01-07-04 07:52 PM

Killer: CC

Rogue588 01-07-04 08:01 PM

Little Shop Of Horrors with the alternate ending.

gutwrencher 01-07-04 08:04 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus
I guess I can mention the signed I Drink Your Blood DVD.
...and I guess I'd have to say..DITTO.:D

chente 01-07-04 08:13 PM

Originally posted by BrentLumkin
The Criterion Wrong Men & Notorious Women Hitchcock Collection box set. I removed the outer plastic cover over the box set, but each individual DVD in the set is still sealed.
I bought the set too except mine weren't individually sealed. They also punched a hole through the bar code too for some reason. Probably didn't want people splitting them up and selling for profit on ebay.

Brent L 01-07-04 08:21 PM

Originally posted by chente
I bought the set too except mine weren't individually sealed. They also punched a hole through the bar code too for some reason. Probably didn't want people splitting them up and selling for profit on ebay.
That's rather odd. Did some with the sets come out with each DVD individually sealed and some not?

Well, obviously if you have it one way and I the other, lol. I've just never heard of that before. Where did you pick yours up at, and when?

HistoryProf 01-07-04 08:26 PM

mine had the bar codes punched too....i think it is more aimed at retailers though than consumers who might resell them. Criterion doesn't really care about that, because the set has been sold as intended. Retailers breaking them up, however, is something a production company would most definately care about.....I'm not sure which came first, but it seems that the individually wrapped titles in the box were from the initial shipments.

As for my favorite oop titles...probably the Hitchcock Criterions along with Charade CC and Silence of the Lambs CC. Had the Tati's and am now quite glad that I sold them in the initial frenzy since they are back in print :)

divemaster 01-07-04 08:31 PM

I have a Special Limited Edition Total Recall with a Mars tin!!!!

What? What?

:p

Brent L 01-07-04 08:33 PM

Well thanks for the information, I never knew that.

sicklerice 01-07-04 08:41 PM

Rabid Dogs was the rarest thing I ever had.

The most lucrative was a Killer:CC that cost me $6 from reel.com that I sold for $232. I sold a 1st press of Seven Samurai:CC for $175.

It's funny that so many people talk about that Flash Gordon as if it's valuable. You can buy that Universal release for $20 shipped with ease or less.

talemyn 01-07-04 09:02 PM

Ultimate Toy Box . . . bought it on an average day and, the next thing I know, people are trying to hunt it down six month later.

jayson1017 01-07-04 09:25 PM

Very few people can lay claim to this....

SALO (Criterion)

Darryl 01-07-04 09:31 PM

Early Criterions - Salo, Spinal Tap, Hard Boiled.. Duel, Rabid Dogs, I Drink Your Blood, Wicker Man R2 box set, MST3K : The Movie, and possibly my favorite - The Universal Monsters collection - especially the first batch with the fantastic commentaries and documentary features. I find myself going back to them often just for their great wealth of information.

lesterlong 01-07-04 09:37 PM

Probably my Criterions of Charade and Sid & Nancy. I have some other OOPs but I like those ones the best.

spongebobkay 01-07-04 09:54 PM

[list=1][*]the Ultimate Toy Box[*]Silence of the Lambs: Criterion[*]the History of Beavis & Butthead[*]the Rock: Criterion[/list=1] I'm not sure if the Rock is OOP or not! http://deephousepage.com/smilies/whistle.gif

BlackBeauty92 01-07-04 10:10 PM

reservoir dogs (mr.brown edition) with Quentin Tarantino signature

:D

milo bloom 01-07-04 10:30 PM

I bought two copies of MST3K the movie when I first heard it was going out of print. I sold the second awhile back for about $45 (paid $10). I should have held out or tried to trade for This Island Earth which I really want now.

I bought the Swamp Thing DVD at a used CD store immediately after it went OOP. I watched it, cringed at the awful story, goggled at the lovely boobies and sold it at a nice profit.

I do have the Fight Club 2 discer, but I'd wager that'll come back eventually.

And I intentionally sought out the Basic Instinct Icepick case.

chente 01-07-04 10:41 PM

Originally posted by BrentLumkin
That's rather odd. Did some with the sets come out with each DVD individually sealed and some not?

Well, obviously if you have it one way and I the other, lol. I've just never heard of that before. Where did you pick yours up at, and when?

I bought mine from DVDEmpire a few months back when they started their "Christmas" sale.

StrTrkker 01-07-04 11:14 PM

Robocop (Criterion)
Rock (Criterion)
MST3K: The movie

Buck Turgidson 01-07-04 11:21 PM

MY OOP Criterions were bought sealed after they went out (Silence and Unbearable Lightness) or right before (Rebecca.)

The one thing I picked up just in the course of building my collection that's since become somewhat sought after is the 2 disc Big Trouble In Little China.

eau 01-08-04 12:39 AM

Originally posted by Tarantino
Charade and the Ultimate Toy Box, both still sealed.
ditto...plus a few more others.

inri222 01-08-04 01:38 AM

Black Rain (S. Imamura not Ridley Scott)
Martin
Liquid Sky
Double Indemnity
Slaughterhouse Five
Frankenhooker
The Funeral
The Bride Wore Black
The Tin Drum
Pixote

raytrade 01-08-04 02:25 AM

Salo Criterion which I bought for under $10 and sold a few months ago for $850.

Snowmaker 01-08-04 06:13 AM

Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
The one thing I picked up just in the course of building my collection that's since become somewhat sought after is the 2 disc Big Trouble In Little China.
Yeah, I got that one too, but I didn't concider it to big a deal since I picked it up less than a year ago at Costco, where they had TONS of them, long after it was OOP.

RichDB10 01-08-04 06:21 AM

Not much really that i can think of other than:

I Drink Your Blood
The Ultimate Toybox
Silence Of The Lambs CC

and now that December 31 2003 has passed i guess i can add these to the list.

Brain Damage LE
Straw Dogs CC

gcbma 01-08-04 07:19 AM

I have a few DVDs that have since unfortunately gone out of print. Among my favorites must be from the Universal Classic Monsters collection. The films are fun, and the special features were exceptionally well done. If I had to pick my favorite movie from that bunch it would be "Bride of Frankenstein."

But, according to the Criterion Collection web site, I just found out that my favorite movie which I thankfully have on Criterion DVD is now out of print: "Notorious" (1946). So that gets my final vote.

garolo 01-08-04 07:43 AM

I don't buy OOP dvds. I only buy OAR. :)

Mine, up until recently, would have been Tati's Hulot 'trilogy'. But now it's Charade: CC and Silence of the Lambs: CC. Now that it's OOP I would also include Straw Dogs: CC.

shill66 01-08-04 10:16 AM

I sold my copy of This Island Earth for $261, which was nice.

I still have a bunch of Universal/Image titles like Double Indemnity and MST3K The Movie.

Also Ball of Fire, The Tin Drum, Hard Boiled CC, The Jazz Singer, Fire Over England, The Hurricane, all the Universal Studios Classic Monster Collection titles...

Dubya 01-08-04 10:21 AM

Little Shop of Horrors w/original ending. It was in the process of being recalled but the guy let me have it anyway.

chesola 01-08-04 10:39 AM

I have lots of OOP DVDs but my prize is the original pressing of Little Shop of Horrors with the alternate ending. I was lucky enough to pick this up during the twelve hours or so it was in print.

rushmore223 01-08-04 10:47 AM

I would sat my Little Shop Of Horrors DVD with the added material and different ending is my most cherished of DVDs.

After that probably FIGHT CLUB and Spinal Tap Criterion

Is BRAZIL Criterion OOP? If so, add that to my list.

Is there a listing anywhere of OOP DVDs? If not, maybe someone here should start one.