DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   What's the greatest/most special OOP DVD you have that you bought while in print? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/339772-whats-greatest-most-special-oop-dvd-you-have-you-bought-while-print.html)

milo bloom 01-07-04 10:30 PM

I bought two copies of MST3K the movie when I first heard it was going out of print. I sold the second awhile back for about $45 (paid $10). I should have held out or tried to trade for This Island Earth which I really want now.

I bought the Swamp Thing DVD at a used CD store immediately after it went OOP. I watched it, cringed at the awful story, goggled at the lovely boobies and sold it at a nice profit.

I do have the Fight Club 2 discer, but I'd wager that'll come back eventually.

And I intentionally sought out the Basic Instinct Icepick case.

chente 01-07-04 10:41 PM

Originally posted by BrentLumkin
That's rather odd. Did some with the sets come out with each DVD individually sealed and some not?

Well, obviously if you have it one way and I the other, lol. I've just never heard of that before. Where did you pick yours up at, and when?

I bought mine from DVDEmpire a few months back when they started their "Christmas" sale.

StrTrkker 01-07-04 11:14 PM

Robocop (Criterion)
Rock (Criterion)
MST3K: The movie

Buck Turgidson 01-07-04 11:21 PM

MY OOP Criterions were bought sealed after they went out (Silence and Unbearable Lightness) or right before (Rebecca.)

The one thing I picked up just in the course of building my collection that's since become somewhat sought after is the 2 disc Big Trouble In Little China.

eau 01-08-04 12:39 AM

Originally posted by Tarantino
Charade and the Ultimate Toy Box, both still sealed.
ditto...plus a few more others.

inri222 01-08-04 01:38 AM

Black Rain (S. Imamura not Ridley Scott)
Martin
Liquid Sky
Double Indemnity
Slaughterhouse Five
Frankenhooker
The Funeral
The Bride Wore Black
The Tin Drum
Pixote

raytrade 01-08-04 02:25 AM

Salo Criterion which I bought for under $10 and sold a few months ago for $850.

Snowmaker 01-08-04 06:13 AM

Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
The one thing I picked up just in the course of building my collection that's since become somewhat sought after is the 2 disc Big Trouble In Little China.
Yeah, I got that one too, but I didn't concider it to big a deal since I picked it up less than a year ago at Costco, where they had TONS of them, long after it was OOP.

RichDB10 01-08-04 06:21 AM

Not much really that i can think of other than:

I Drink Your Blood
The Ultimate Toybox
Silence Of The Lambs CC

and now that December 31 2003 has passed i guess i can add these to the list.

Brain Damage LE
Straw Dogs CC

gcbma 01-08-04 07:19 AM

I have a few DVDs that have since unfortunately gone out of print. Among my favorites must be from the Universal Classic Monsters collection. The films are fun, and the special features were exceptionally well done. If I had to pick my favorite movie from that bunch it would be "Bride of Frankenstein."

But, according to the Criterion Collection web site, I just found out that my favorite movie which I thankfully have on Criterion DVD is now out of print: "Notorious" (1946). So that gets my final vote.

garolo 01-08-04 07:43 AM

I don't buy OOP dvds. I only buy OAR. :)

Mine, up until recently, would have been Tati's Hulot 'trilogy'. But now it's Charade: CC and Silence of the Lambs: CC. Now that it's OOP I would also include Straw Dogs: CC.

shill66 01-08-04 10:16 AM

I sold my copy of This Island Earth for $261, which was nice.

I still have a bunch of Universal/Image titles like Double Indemnity and MST3K The Movie.

Also Ball of Fire, The Tin Drum, Hard Boiled CC, The Jazz Singer, Fire Over England, The Hurricane, all the Universal Studios Classic Monster Collection titles...

Dubya 01-08-04 10:21 AM

Little Shop of Horrors w/original ending. It was in the process of being recalled but the guy let me have it anyway.

chesola 01-08-04 10:39 AM

I have lots of OOP DVDs but my prize is the original pressing of Little Shop of Horrors with the alternate ending. I was lucky enough to pick this up during the twelve hours or so it was in print.

rushmore223 01-08-04 10:47 AM

I would sat my Little Shop Of Horrors DVD with the added material and different ending is my most cherished of DVDs.

After that probably FIGHT CLUB and Spinal Tap Criterion

Is BRAZIL Criterion OOP? If so, add that to my list.

Is there a listing anywhere of OOP DVDs? If not, maybe someone here should start one.

Noonan 01-08-04 11:01 AM

I would have to say The Rock CC, and my favorite DVD...Halloween 2 disc LE. I will never part with that DVD.

hgar78 01-08-04 11:13 AM

i love my Charade CC dvd and Toy Story set. :D

surprised no one has mentioned the original fight club dvd! (scratch that, i's surprised so few on THIS site have listed fight club ;) )

RichDB10 01-08-04 11:27 AM

Originally posted by hgar78
surprised no one has mentioned the original fight club dvd! (scratch that, i's surprised so few on THIS site have listed fight club ;) )
Maybe people just remembered the first rule ;)

nycdude 01-08-04 12:37 PM

Toy Story 2 pak
Little Mermaid
Lady and the Tramp

Colleen 01-08-04 12:42 PM

Woah, I had no idea <b>Lady In White</b> was out of print! I picked it up about a year ago after giving up on waiting for a price drop... I can't believe it's going for $80 on Ebay! I may have to decide how much I want to have it in my collection now!

DGibFen 01-08-04 02:11 PM

Ultimate Toy Box (Bought it the day Disney OOPed it)
20th Anniversary Ediiton of Alien (Has a number of features that aren't on the Quad/2 Disc Alien set)
Punch-Drunk Love 2 Disc - I'm more than sure this is OOP, I haven't seen many copies left anywhere.
Traffic: CC (There are still copies avaliable at some stores, but I keep hearing that it's OOP)

I did get the Meaning of Life when the Image disc was OOP at a store for 6 bucks a couple of years ago...

davidlynchfan 01-08-04 02:35 PM

Found about 4 each of They Live and MST3k the movie @ my local borders.Ebayed them off for about 40-50 apiece.:D

StrTrkker 01-08-04 02:39 PM

They Live is OOP?

I saw a few of these at Best Buy the other day for $9.99?

digitalboy 01-08-04 03:05 PM

Killer CC, Hard Boiled CC, Silence of the Lambs CC, Platoon and American Werewolf in London (when they were OOP).

bboisvert 01-08-04 03:21 PM

Originally posted by StrTrkker
They Live is OOP?
It was. It was reissued by Universal this fall. But before that, it was fetching ~$40 on eBay.