DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Sound and Vision's TOP 10 DVDs of 2003 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/339638-sound-visions-top-10-dvds-2003-a.html)

smirnoffski 01-06-04 11:22 PM

Sound and Vision's TOP 10 DVDs of 2003

This was in the new Feb/Mar issue of Sound & Vision

S&V Entertainment Awards: Best of 2003 on DVD

1. Adaptation (Columbia Tristar)
2. Casablanca (Warner)
3. Once Upon a Time in America (Warner)
4. The Adventures of Robin Hood (Warner)
5. Sunset Boulevard (Paramount)
6. Contempt (Criterion Collection)
7. Metropolis (Kino)
8. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers EE (New Line)
9. Punch-Drunk Love (Columbia Tristar)
10. (TIE) Bowling for Columbine (MGM)
Chicago (Miramax)

DonnachaOne 01-07-04 01:00 AM

Why Bowling For Columbine?

Was there any particular standout there?

Chicago looks and sounds pretty average too, as far as I can tell.

Few too many restorations and not enough DVDs with obviously excellent... sound & vision. Apart from that, can't fault the list.

talemyn 01-07-04 01:12 AM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Took the thought right out of my head . . .

Despite the inspirational material for Scot and NCMojo . . . ;)

QuiGonJosh 01-07-04 04:41 AM

Why is Adaptation #1? Wheres the Alien Quad and LOTR TTT EE?

steebo777 01-07-04 07:00 AM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Wheres the LOTR TTT EE?
It's at number 8 in the list. :D

RichDB10 01-07-04 07:28 AM

Not too bad a list i suppose...mind you i'm not certain of their Geography.....Once Upon A Time In America??!!..i would have thought 'Once Upon A Time In The West' was more fitting to have been included.

bdots48 01-07-04 08:30 AM

This might have been a pretty good list - SIX MONTHS AGO.

MrE 01-07-04 08:43 AM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
From the DVDTalk review:
"Bowling For Columbine" - debates about its filmmaking aside - still succeeds in one important thing - asking thought-provking questions that will hopefully start debates among its viewers. After a few viewings, its flaws (it could be more focused, going deeper on some of its topics) have become more apparent, but it's still a film that I think people should see and discuss. MGM's DVD was delayed for a while, but it seems as if that delay has resulted in packing the DVD (apparently, the Region 2 version has no supplements) with lots of (largely) informative supplemental features that go into greater depth about Moore's opinions/beliefs on the topics and the movie's production. Recommended.

ETILIM19 01-07-04 09:53 AM

good as it is sunset boulavard was released in late 2002

William Fuld 01-07-04 10:15 AM

So was Contempt.

bboisvert 01-07-04 10:54 AM

Yeah, this almost seems like the list was written back in the late summer or something. It's always tough to pick only 10 films out of the thousands released. But there are some pretty strange choices there.

QuiGonJosh 01-07-04 12:32 PM

Originally posted by steebo777
It's at number 8 in the list. :D
*Slaps head*

DOH!

alex4bball 01-07-04 01:06 PM

That list is awful. How do they rate their movies? Because I know half those movies don't belong there (in my opinion).

Josh H 01-07-04 01:08 PM

I'm guessing this list is on movie quality (their opinon) rather than quality of the actual DVD (i.e. transfer, extras, packaging etc.).

PatrickMcCart 01-07-04 01:13 PM

Great list, but I don't see why Adaptation got a higher ranking than Casablanca. It's supposedly a great movie, but Casablanca has more supplemental material.

KTIK 01-07-04 01:29 PM

I'm guessing, since it's a magazine about Sound and Vision, that they are basing the DVDs on how good they sound, and how good they look?

Josh H 01-07-04 01:30 PM

Originally posted by KTIK
I'm guessing, since it's a magazine about Sound and Vision, that they are basing the DVDs on how good they sound, and how good they look?
That would be logical, but it doesn't seem like the list fits that criteria.

FuzzyBallz 01-07-04 01:36 PM

Punch-Drunk Love kicks ass. I wonder if they put Magnolia on the list in the previous year. I don't even remember. *Goes around basement digging for old issues of Sound & Vision*

KTIK 01-07-04 01:44 PM

"That would be logical, but it doesn't seem like the list fits that criteria."

The list makes more sense that it was based on transfer than the opinion of one guy's favorite movies of the year. Two Superbits, the LOTR:TTT extended, and a few older films where the cleanup of the prints was done correctly, and an improvement over the original prints. And then, of course, the two at number 10 that don't make sense.

Josh H 01-07-04 01:48 PM

The number 10's were my main basis for saying it didn't seem to fit.

KTIK 01-07-04 02:04 PM

Those are the only two that don't fit the whole "transfer" dealy, but they probably thought that the transfer of Bowling was good considering what he filmed it with (hand held cameras), and that Chicago was better than it was. I haven't a clue.