DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   WWE question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/339584-wwe-question.html)

Mr Web Review 01-06-04 07:00 PM

WWE question

I'm new here, so please be kind, but was wondering if anyone had seen the WWE DVDs with Trish Statrus and Ric Flair. Are they worth adding to the collection or should I go Blockbuster for three days and forget it?

The Nature Boy 01-06-04 07:03 PM

Try searching here and the wrestling websites for more complete reviews, but I'd say the Flair set, for the money, is a must own for even the mildest of wrestling fans. The Bloodbath Cage Match DVD isn't far behind, though it could have been better. Haven't seen any of the WWE T&A DVD's, but I'd recommend those two, along with the Hulk Hogan DVD set as must owns, and if you liked Shawn Michaels and/or the nWo, those sets are quite strong in capturing those performers.

ReservoirDog45 01-06-04 07:07 PM

The Flair is a must if you even kind of like wrestling. Buy it at all costs, sell a kidny if you must.

Tarantino 01-06-04 07:09 PM

I was a lucky guy today, I found nWo Back in Black used for $2.99.

As for the Flair collection, pick it up, pronto.

Mr Web Review 01-06-04 07:18 PM

hey guys thanks for the quick reply. I'll do the search now. Thanks again.

FatHead316 01-06-04 07:33 PM

You can search for these dvd's with the search button, but the bottom line is this.

The Ric Flair DVD is a must own. People are always going to bitch and moan about whatever. Didn't cover this, quickly covered that. Whatever. This thing is first and foremost, CLASSIC wrestling. Great selection of FULL matches. Whould I have liked to have seen more Perfect and Flair, and the Savage Feud, sure I would have, but a 20+ year carrer on 3 discs HAS to miss something. Thats a lot of ground to cover.

Bloodbath is another one, awesome. Pat Patterson on a DVD, hell yeah. These matches are ALL gems. Do a search, but ignore all the cencores logo crap. WWF lost the rights to the logo, so they have to blurr out the WWF scratch logo from the 90's. Oh well, if you don't look for it, you sure as hell won't really notice it. And on the other hand, does it take away from the match???

Shawn Michaels, also great. For this one I would have to be a HBK fan, but the first hell in a cell is nice to own. Bitching and moaning about not covering the DX era too much, but there are DX videos, and since Shawn "found god" he most likely had input on when went on this DVD, and omitted that time. AWA footage, nice.

The Hogan DVD also rules. It covers almost everything, and everything seems to get its fair share in the story. Great commentary from Hulks mouth about his relationship with Savage. Probably the DVD that you can bitch about the least. And guess what, you WILL get your fill of the no-selling moves, finger to the nose, fist, fist, fist, irish whip, big boot, leg drop.

Also never seen any of the divas dvd's so cannot recommend. Give the others a look tho man!

jpw908 01-06-04 09:00 PM

I really don't know why no one seems to be reviewing this excellent DVD. The only website that seems to have reviewed it is DVD Verdict. Where are the DVD Talk, DVDFILE, the Digital Bits, etc. reviews? Most of these sites waisted their time reviewing the Hulk Hogan DVD.

DVD Giant 01-06-04 10:12 PM

I think the Hulk Rules and the nWo DVD's went OOP, but can be found.

CaseyB 01-06-04 11:17 PM

I've often wondered why none of the wrestling fans here submit reviews for the site? I know there's certainly a lot of smart wrestling/MMA fans here.
The DVDs listed are all must owns for wrestling fans, especially the Flair set. There's another Mick Foley set coming out on the 20th that sounds incredible. I'd also highly recommend Tough Enough Season 1.

PixyJunket 01-06-04 11:19 PM

I still need to pick up Flair.

WOOOO!!

FatHead316 01-07-04 09:15 PM

I tried to review them just now. Hahaha. I have the Mick Foley one on the way, I will try my first attempt at a review when I get it. Didn't know there was a demand for wrestling DVD reviews, but then again, I look for them too. Hahaha

Rypro 525 01-07-04 09:22 PM

And the long matches are actually exciting.
one question
Spoiler:
did steamboat win the best of 3 falls match, or was it consitered a draw. he pinned him with the crossface chicken wing but as soon as the bell rang, the dvd went to the next match

Erik68 01-07-04 10:44 PM

Pick up the new Mick Foley DVD when it comes out. I've seen it and it's right up their with the Flair set. Awesome DVD, all matches are complete and the ECW footage features the unedited commentary of Joey Styles.

Rypro 525 01-07-04 10:50 PM

did Styles swear often during his commentaries? when i was watching ecw (1999-2000) he very rarely used language.

Erik68 01-07-04 10:57 PM

He doesn't swear, but does use the phrase "Oh My God" a lot.

The Nature Boy 01-07-04 11:54 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
And the long matches are actually exciting.
one question
Spoiler:
did steamboat win the best of 3 falls match, or was it consitered a draw. he pinned him with the crossface chicken wing but as soon as the bell rang, the dvd went to the next match

Spoiler:
The Dragon retained, because the ref didn't see Flair's foot under the robe. It may be discussed in the extras as a reason for their Wrestlewar rematch, the night Flair regained the title and Funk put him through the table. I think that's all on the set.

GCS 01-08-04 08:31 AM

Once I heard Joey Styles say Holy Sh*t and then he spent the next 2 mins apologizing to folks for it. I believe it was when Mike Awesome put Masato Tanaka through a table from in the ring out to the floor. I am not positive but I know once he did say HS.

Another WWE DVD I thought was good was the Rey Mysterio DVD. I really enjoyed this one as well because it had his matches with Dean and Eddie on it from his WCW and these were classics. And of course the Wrestlemania DVDs are quite good as well since most of the recent ones are 4 hours long and have a lot extra material on them.

Lately I have good luck picking up sealed copies of WWE/F DVDs on ebay for around $2-$3 each, so check there but do so at your own risk.

BTW the ECW Best of Cactus Jack and Best of The Dudley Boyz are awesome as well (4 hours long I believe).

Greg