Spy Kids SE on the way...

Old 01-06-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spy Kids SE on the way...

From DavisDVD.com

SPY KIDS - SPECIAL EDITION

With the upcoming double-disc Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over arriving from Buena Vista Home Entertainment on February 24th, director Robert Rodriguez has just revealed that a new special edition of the original Spy Kids should be released by the end of summer. There's no word yet whether this will feature the slightly longer version of the film that was re-released a few months after its initial theatrical debut. As far as extras, look for a commentary track and a confirmed "Film School 101 For Kids" featurette, among other things. Stay tuned as more details develop.
Old 01-09-04, 01:09 AM

While I tend to be on the fense as to double dipping, if the commentary track enlists enough of the cast and has the additional scene that was in the rerelease to theatres (was shocked that it wasnt included on the initial DVD release), I may have to consider it. Loved the first Spy Kids, sorta a thumbs in the middle for the second, and eagerly awaiting 3-D because I missed it in theaters.
Old 01-09-04, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I JUST gave up waiting for a SpyKids SE and ordered the first release yesterday. **Smaps self.** I REALLY want to know if that additional scene and a good commentary will be included, but will probably go ahead and send the barebones one back anyway. Surely this one will be better than that.
Old 01-09-04, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Excellent. I missed the first one when it came out.
Old 01-09-04, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I held off buying Spy Kids when it came out on dvd because I was positive that Robert Rodriguez would revisit the film and give it a Special Edition treatment, and now it looks like he finally is. All I really care about is the commentary track--Robert consistently does some of the best and most engaging commentaries I've ever heard.
Old 01-09-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
I held off buying Spy Kids when it came out on dvd because I was positive that Robert Rodriguez would revisit the film and give it a Special Edition treatment, and now it looks like he finally is. All I really care about is the commentary track--Robert consistently does some of the best and most engaging commentaries I've ever heard.

Same here now me and the kids will be happy!
Old 01-09-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
Holding off for a better version should never have been a suspicion. Rodriguez made it quite clear after the longer Spy Kids:SE came out in August 2001 that a second DVD release was coming with that version of the film and substantially more extras than the original release. (Incidentally, the extra scene in the movie was excluded because of budgetary constraints.)

I would expect all three films to get equal, matching SE treatments. I think SK2 was barebones.
Old 01-09-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by rfduncan
I think SK2 was barebones.
Hardly. SK2 had several featurettes, Rodriguez commentary, 8 deleted scenes, music video, and a bunch more. That seems pretty loaded for a one disc release.

After waiting for a long time I finally got both SK from Columbia House the day SK2 became available as an enrollment but will now be ebaying or giving the original SK as a gift when the SE comes out.

I'm still glad I got the 2 as waiting 3 years for an SE would've deprived a lot of viewings even though the new release with the extra footage & other features was inevitable.
Old 01-09-04, 07:50 PM

Yes, SK2 was definitely a nice 2disc set. Far from bare-bones.

As for the other films, Robert was quoted a year or so ago as saying that he wanted to do a box set of all three once 3-D was done. Not sure that he'll stick with that now... I imagine that if he does, it'll just be the current versions of 2 and 3D and this SE of 1.

I would like a nice box to keep 'em in...