DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   What movies that you never thought would be on DVD are now released? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/339224-what-movies-you-never-thought-would-dvd-now-released.html)

marty888 01-05-04 09:29 AM

What movies that you never thought would be on DVD are now released?

I keep seeing threads about favorite movies that people think will <i>never</i> show up on DVD - but actually I've been amazed by some titles that <i>have</i> appeared on DVD.

Here's two that surprised me by getting released on DVD:

<b>THE RACHEL PAPERS</b> - An obscure little 1989 British gem with Dexter Fletcher, Jonathan Pryce, Ione Skye and James Spader

<b>DEAD END DRIVE-IN</b> - An Australian cult film about the government attempting to control the rowdy youth elements by unsuspectedly penning them up in drive-in theaters. This one even gets a great commentary track.

What surpised you by getting released on DVD?

gutwrencher 01-05-04 10:13 AM

nothing. I believe and always have believed that just about anything and everything(that I love) will make it sooner or later.

lesterlong 01-05-04 10:37 AM

Originally posted by gutwrencher
nothing. I believe and always have believed that just about anything and everything(that I love) will make it sooner or later.
Agreed.

digiboy 01-05-04 10:56 AM

Amen to Dead End Drive, I'm so glad to have it !

I was thrilled to get Thunder Road since it is rarely shown.

2 of the 3 Quatermass films are on DVD, that was another pleasant surprise, still would like to see the first one come out....

pagansoul 01-05-04 11:11 AM

Originally posted by digiboy

2 of the 3 Quatermass films are on DVD, that was another pleasant surprise, still would like to see the first one come out....

I want the first Q movie also. I never saw it before and love the other two.

I don't think the question is about what suprises me being released but some of the worst movies get so much attention. I want all the Public Domain movies restored to their campy horror but I don't want decent movies ignored. I want 'Song of the South'. I can't believe I had to wait so long for 'Naked Lunch' but at least they did a good job of it.

majorjoe23 01-05-04 11:45 AM

Men With Guns surprised me, the VHS never even went to sell through pricing, I had to pick up my copy used from a video store.

gutwrencher 01-05-04 11:48 AM

Originally posted by majorjoe23
Men With Guns surprised me, the VHS never even went to sell through pricing, I had to pick up my copy used from a video store.
wow, majorjoe23....had no idea you were from DSM. did you just spend all morning digging out of the snow...like me?:lol:

peace,
gut

GatorDeb 01-05-04 03:46 PM

ER.

kenbuzz 01-05-04 04:15 PM

Fail-Safe
The Adventures of Ford Fairlane
DEVO: The Complete Truth About De-Evolution

madmoose 01-05-04 04:33 PM

Cabin Boy, all those exercise dvds sams club is selling, and gigli

majorjoe23 01-05-04 05:04 PM

Originally posted by gutwrencher
wow, majorjoe23....had no idea you were from DSM. did you just spend all morning digging out of the snow...like me?:lol:

peace,
gut

No, I was out at the debate for the worst of it, so my car wasn't stuck. I have to move some stuff down my driveway when I get home though, so I'll spend this evening shoveling.

Randy Miller III 01-05-04 05:21 PM

Well, I wasn't shocked they were released on DVD, but <i>Killer Klowns from Outer Space</i> and <i>Buckaroo Banzai</i> were surprisingly both given aweseme Special Edition treatment! :up:

JimRochester 01-05-04 05:31 PM

I wouldn't say never, but I wouldn't have paid $80 for the Indiana Jones trilogy on LD last year had I known the DVDs would be out this year.

daniel18 01-05-04 05:32 PM

Scarface!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gjamesm 01-05-04 05:34 PM

Country with Jessica Lange and Sam Shepard. It has been oop on video for years and I love the film. The dvd is a big bargain and anamorphic but the transfer isn't the greatest. Happy to own it though.

Alan Smithee 01-05-04 06:03 PM

The Groove Tube
Tunnel Vision
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Can't Stop The Music
Hardware Wars
Rescue From Gilligan's Island
Pink Lady & Jeff

JustInsane 01-05-04 06:28 PM

UHF

OldBoy 01-05-04 06:40 PM

my all time favorite tv movie when i was a kid i never thought would get put to VHS let alone DVD (i missed football practice to watch this thing)..

i tried for years to find the VHS tapes, only to find one part and not the other and i so wanted the second part..well 10-15 years later the 1st part comes out on DVD and i was floored..i didn't know people even knew about it anymore and thus i got it and thought part 2 couldn't be that far behind..then a year later it came to be..well the 1st mini series was V: The Original Miniseries and the 2nd V: The Final Battle.

i have only seen i think 1 tv mini series since then and am just thankful that i can re-live my childhood anytime i damn well please now. thanks for the rant.

Alan Smithee 01-05-04 06:54 PM

First Nudie Musical
Times Square
Fritz The Cat/ 9 Lives of Fritz The Cat
Let My Puppets Come

Max Bottomtime 01-05-04 07:23 PM

No offence intended, but Goodburger!

Julie Walker 01-05-04 07:30 PM

Plenty of the releases by Anchorbay & Blue Underground. Since many of them are so obscure. It just amazes me to see them released at all,let alone finally having a chance to see them(after hearing about them so much). Thank god for dvd & screw you crappy bootlegers who supplied horrible overpriced copies of said films for years. I am glad I never caved in to see these films until the legit superior quality dvd versions were released in proper aspect ratios & fully uncensored:)

I am of course talking about the Argento,Fulci,Bava & other European horror/cult/exploitation films mostly available heavily censored in the U.S.or not at all.

Last American Virgin & Return of the Living Dead were surprises from MGM. Since before the dvds,it seemed hopeless that these would ever see the light od day again,thanks to being stuck in music rights hell. The VHS releases from the early 80's were LONG OOP & impossible to find even for rental anymore at most stores! So it looked bleak for these two titles & appeared we might be stuck with washed out cropped,edited & murky tracking problem VHS selling overpriced on ebay. But thank you MGM for coming through,expect for not offering the original theatrical mix on Return,the new altered O'Bannon mix is not that great despite being 'director approved'. So I wish we had the choice between the two. Still nice to have on dvd.

DonnachaOne 01-05-04 07:35 PM

Originally posted by daniel18
Scarface!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What? I don't get it.

Doughboy 01-05-04 07:37 PM

The Ben Stiller Show. With tons of extras no less.

Grabastic 01-05-04 08:10 PM

Let It Ride, with Richard Dreyfus. no one i know or meet has ever heard of that movie. it's one of my favorite Dreyfus performances, however. when i saw it on DDD, it was mine in a flat minute.