DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Warner Night at the Movies! Eeeek! That's some good luvin! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/339088-warner-night-movies-eeeek-thats-some-good-luvin.html)

El-Kabong 01-04-04 01:33 PM

Warner Night at the Movies! Eeeek! That's some good luvin!

I just picked up Robin Hood the other day from the Warner Night at the Movies line on a whim. I hadnt seen the movie in years and years, so I needed some buckleing to my swash badly.

Holy crap! No 60+ year old movie has the right to look THIS good. The thing looks like it was shot yesterday! The restoration on this this looks glorious indeed. And the extras - damn, that thing is loaded for bear. I love that whole newsreel-cartoon-short before the movie concept. Great fun indeed - I just wish that theaters still did this today.

Oh, and the movie still rocked.

So the big money question I have: are there plans for more Warner Night at the Movies discs beyond Treasure of the Seirra Madre, Robin Hood and Yankee Doodle Dandy? If every movie that Warner Brothers did was as good as this, I am so there. Hell, I'm kind of regretting not getting the boxed set now.

Anway, as to insure that these Warner discs move like crazy and they release more of them, stare into this hypnotic disc.

http://www.hypnodj.homestead.com/files/spiral_3.gif

You are getting sleepy. . . . you want to buy the Warners Legends boxed set . . . . you will go to the store . . . NOW . . . and buy a copy for yourself and a friend. . . .

There - that should do it.

smirnoffski 01-04-04 02:18 PM

Yeah, I initially only purchased the 'Adventures of Robin Hood' and after I noticed that it was such a wonderful set, I rushed out and purchased the Warner Legends box set.

I too thought that the Warner Night at the Movies was a magnificent addition and am interested in knowing which films will have the same feature in the future?

Mad Dawg 01-04-04 02:31 PM

I was originally only interested in RH because of the Robin Hood Daffy short and didn't want to jump until I knew whether or not it would show up on the next Looney Tunes box. If this is that good a transfer and package, I might pick it up.

El-Kabong 01-05-04 12:48 AM

It doesnt appear that the cartoons in the set have been restored like the ones in the Tunes boxed set have been. It doesnt mean that they're bad - just not as glorious as the ones we've been spoiled by as of late.

Still, if you're looking for something to tide you over until those tunes do show up, this should fit the bill.

That and it's a kick ass film to boot. Did I say that already?

EPKJ 01-05-04 01:06 AM

This series is great. Casablanca also has Warner Night At The Movies. By the way, do not buy Adventures Of Robin Hood for the cartoon. That is the wrong reason to purchase any film.

chente 01-05-04 01:23 AM

I agree, the Warner Legends Set is great. I had previously seen Treasure of Sierra Madre and Adventures of Robin Hood but hadn't seen Yankee Doodle Dandy. Loved it. The forthcoming My Fair Lady disk will probably get the Night at the Movies treatment too. Lastly, as EPKJ stated above, Casablanca is also got the night at the movies treatment and the whole package is superb. Rush out and get it if you don't already have it.

Tarnower 01-05-04 07:05 AM

Yes, as chente stated, "My Fair Lady" is supposedly the next WB film to get the Night at the Movies treatment. I have read that many times in many posts on this forum. I wish they would have picked a better movie to do this with, but I'm sure the whole production will be top flight.

MovieFan999 01-05-04 07:26 PM

Wait was casablanca a night at the movies. I know it was a 2 disc Specail edition but I am almost positive it did not have niight at the movies.

smirnoffski 01-05-04 08:19 PM

Wait was casablanca a night at the movies. I know it was a 2 disc Specail edition but I am almost positive it did not have niight at the movies.
Correct. Sadly, no 'Warner Night at the Movies' for Casablanca, only for the three Warner Legends films.

g 01-05-04 11:57 PM

there were actually vhs movies that were warner nights at the movies. I rented movies like i think Mame and others on vhs and it had newsreels and cartoons and trailers. I rented it years ago at the wherehouse

jayson1017 01-06-04 08:37 AM

I think the Warners Legends set was popular only because of the supplemental documentary dvd. It it wasn't for that dvd, I'm sure a lot of people would've bought the 3 movies seperately, which is surely what I would've done.

If another dvd set is released, and it comes without an extras dvd, there would be no incentive for me to buy the set since it'd in a flimy case and not much else. So... lets hope another for another doc and another set.

Pressplay 01-06-04 10:48 AM

Yes, no Warner night at the movies, but the Casablanca 2 discs DVD still has a cartoon on it.

chente 01-06-04 11:02 AM

Originally posted by jayson1017
I think the Warners Legends set was popular only because of the supplemental documentary dvd. It it wasn't for that dvd, I'm sure a lot of people would've bought the 3 movies seperately, which is surely what I would've done.

If another dvd set is released, and it comes without an extras dvd, there would be no incentive for me to buy the set since it'd in a flimy case and not much else. So... lets hope another for another doc and another set.

Not for me. I wanted the three films and it was actually cheaper to buy the boxed set than it was to buy the 3 films separately.

chente 01-06-04 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Pressplay
Yes, no Warner night at the movies, but the Casablanca 2 discs DVD still has a cartoon on it.
I could have sworn it did but I must have been hallucenating as I can't find reference to it online.