DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Is the Indiana Jones Trilogy worth a buy? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/339060-indiana-jones-trilogy-worth-buy.html)

OldBoy 01-04-04 10:21 AM

Is the Indiana Jones Trilogy worth a buy?

I read reviews and know the movies well, but is it worth a buy for the total collection even though I have seen Raiders like 100 X and I would be buying more for movies than bonus DVD. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

REL77 01-04-04 10:26 AM

Of coarse it is... Its a great set, best transfers imaginable... Highly recommended... You need to own the trilogy and its definitly worth a buy... You should go get it now

TomOpus 01-04-04 10:29 AM

How much do you like the other movies? If you don't think you'll watch the other 2, then would you be willing to spend around $40 to only watch "Raiders"?

Myself, I like all 3 movies for different reasons, so the purchase was a no-brainer to me.

OldBoy 01-04-04 10:29 AM

Thanks, but I was kinda looking for something less super fan based. Sounds like you are gung ho which is great, but I need some input from people who were waivering and maybe bought it or got it as a gift and enjoyed it much that they would have bought it because of the presentation of the entire set. ya know? thanks though..

OldBoy 01-04-04 10:31 AM

i enjoy the other two a lot and def want to see again..but i just waiver between renting or buying..i have gift certs to buy and not sure if that binus disc which of course you can't rent puts in over the top to buy..so tough as i really do like the trilogy as a whole..just been around for so long..

TomOpus 01-04-04 10:37 AM

Yeah, it's tough when you're wavering. At least you have some gift certificates to ease the buying. The bonus disc gives a lot of great background on the series and adds to the value of the set.

I guess one way to look at this is how much out-of-pocket money you'd have to use to purchase the set. Compare this to how much you'd spend to rent them. If it's fairly close, I'd buy it with the GCs. You'll have them to view for a long time and you get the bonus disc.

REL77 01-04-04 10:44 AM

I am no Fan Boy, in all honestly, I had never seen Raiders Before and wasnt huge on Temple, but Crusades was great, and I know Raiders is one awsome movie, so I had to pick it up and appriecated tehm so much more on DVD and with the extras... It made me like Temple a hell of a lot more

QuiGonJosh 01-04-04 10:53 AM

BUY IT...like NOW! :)

OldBoy 01-04-04 10:53 AM

I apologize for the fan boy accusation..just from what you said, but the second post was what i was looking for and really appreciate the honesty. i wouldn't have any out of pocket expense as the GC would cover all, but I was holding off because there are so many good ones coming up from Jan 13-Feb 3 that I wanted..so you could see the dilemma..but thanks so much for all the info..it is def making me lean towards purchase.

jayson1017 01-04-04 10:56 AM

No, the trilogy set is not worth a buy. the second and third movies are cheesy. If u could get Raiders of the Lost Ark only, then get that..... But you'll need to hold your nose because of the anti-Germanism.

QuiGonJosh 01-04-04 11:03 AM

Look...this set is about the classiest set of 2003...everything is a class act...the films...the menus...A/V presentation...and extras...GET IT!

Pants 01-04-04 11:16 AM

You say you've seen Raiders 100 times? I call you the fan boy.

Make up your own damn mind anyway. You've seen the movies. You decide.

OldBoy 01-04-04 11:33 AM

100X may have been an exaggeration..i just meant it has been on tv to death, but thanks for the berate. i just thought this was the forum for questions and others opinions such as this. from other comments that were extremely helpful i know it is. but thanks again for your wonderfully enjoyable comments!

Cosmic Bus 01-04-04 11:44 AM

I bought the trilogy pretty much as a blind buy, if you can believe that. :) Had seen Last Crusade a few times, but never the first two movies!

After going through the set last week (despite having bought it back in October), I didn't really care for Raiders all that much, but thought Temple of Doom was practically a perfect adventure movie. I also enjoy Crusade quite a bit, and am definitely glad I got the set even though I'll likely never want to watch the first film again.

OldBoy 01-04-04 11:52 AM

and have you watched the extras DVD? how is that on its own merit? thanks again..

mllefoo 01-04-04 12:09 PM

If you like the movies AT ALL, then it's worth buying. I've seen the movies more times than I can count, but I still bought it because they are wonderful movies.

Cosmic Bus 01-04-04 12:10 PM

I haven't looked at the fourth disc yet, actually. Bonus features don't usually interest me too much; I've hardly got time to watch all the movies I buy, let alone the extras. :lol:

OldBoy 01-04-04 12:18 PM

thanks cosmic..i think we are in the same boat with dvd's.

madmoose 01-04-04 12:38 PM

i just bought it on saturday at sams club. I was debating whether to buy it or not. Once i got it home and opened it I was sure glad i bought it. The box is very nice thick textured suface...its really cool. The movies are great and the bonus disc has 3 hours of features. All in all when you get it home and open it you will be sure you made the right purchase.

JimRochester 01-04-04 01:20 PM

Some things just belong in my collection whether I would watch them much or not. Godfather, Indiana Jones, Band Of Brothers, Disney. I never advocate quantity over quality, but some have reached such a pinnacle in movie history, it seems a shame not to own them.

Holly E. Ordway 01-04-04 01:33 PM

I'd definitely go for it. Raiders of the Lost Ark is great, but I was also pleasantly surprised at how well Temple of Doom lasted the test of time - it was better than I remembered. And I really like The Last Crusade as well. I haven't watched the bonus material yet, but I'd have bought it even bare-bones.

OldBoy 01-04-04 01:35 PM

i agree with you on Temple..it got such a bad rap when it came out, but i really liked it..i am one for more of a dark tone anyway, but it still had all the fun elements that made the other two classics..i think i am just about convinced..thanks to all thus far..

El-Kabong 01-04-04 01:42 PM

Re: Is the Indiana Jones Trilogy worth a buy?

Originally posted by scott1598
I read reviews and know the movies well, but is it worth a buy for the total collection even though I have seen Raiders like 100 X and I would be buying more for movies than bonus DVD. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Dude if you've seen Raiders 100+ times, sounds to me like you've ready made up your mind. However if there is any shred of doubt left, let me sum up for you:

Duh.

Come on - this is a complete no-brainer. This is the second best trillogy EVER to be committed to film (I'll leave you to debate the first best movie trillogy *coughstarwarscough*), and set the tone for action movies for the next 20 years. Anyone who has a DVD player should have this boxed set. And if they dont, they arent worthy of the medium and should turn said player over to the authorities.

OldBoy 01-04-04 01:50 PM

ok..ok..i convinced. i will be making a purchase later today from eBay or Circuit City tomorrow. others can still post opinions though..but i think i will cure that itch.

rushmore223 01-04-04 02:07 PM

your kidding right?